Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 9mm Reloading, Getting Started, appreciate any advise or wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I try to pick up just my brass, at the indoor range I use. I don't mark my brass, so occasionally I get brass from other shooters.

When I shoot at matches, or on the rare occasions I travel the long distance to an outdoor range for practice, I don't pick up any brass. There are lots of "9 major" shooters at the matches, and those two outdoor ranges. I don't want to risk getting any of their brass, as the experienced loaders warn that the 9 major brass can cause problems.

I wish there was a quick way to sort 5.56mm and 9mm. The guy who gives me brass often is bring buckets of mixed brass, and the trays won't sort those two.

I have now oaded just shy of 3000 rounds, and twice I missed .380 cases, and they made it all the way through the press, but the case gauge revealed those two rounds.

I just pick up brass at our small private range. No one's running 9 major at our outlaw matches. I don't want anything to do with hot rodded 9mm brass.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    147gr Bullets often bulge cases in 9x19... especially TC shaped bullets seated deep enough to fit in tight chambers like Gen 5 Glocks or CZ's. RMR's heavy Matchwinner 147's seated deep enough to work in my Gen 5 Glocks have the "coke bottle" profile. It's not really a problem, as long as they fit chambers/case gauges, it just looks weird.

Hornady 147gr XTPs and their 147gr round nose FMJ both have boattail shaped bullet heels to help alleviate this. The 147gr Zero JHP has a small reduction in diameter of the shank at the heel for the same purpose.
    Since I mentioned cast bullets, I'm especially focused on bevel base & boattail designs to avoid running afoul of the inner case taper. Not long ago I pulled down a bunch of cast 9mm reloads from long ago and had a some difficulties since I had seated the bullets a bit too deep and they were jammed pretty tight into the inner taper. This led to a round of case measuring and overthinking potential issues.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

User Tag List