Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And…. I Finally Won a M19 2.5”

Congratulations! That is a real sweetheart!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I came across an article by The Revolver Guy last night, and he discussed why M19’s were susceptible to forcing cone cracks:

“The switch to a yoke-mounted gas ring required a much more aggressive cut on the barrel flat, which left less material in place. Unfortunately, this aggressive cut remained as a legacy after S&W went back to a cylinder-mounted gas ring.”
    https://revolverguy.com/the-smith-we...ory/#more-8202

It really dampened my excitement, especially when he said the dash 4 variants had an even thinner forcing cone(!!!!). I do intend to carry this revolver, so I’ll simply buy a spare barrel again.

The seller’s not set up to accept payments from GB, so I have to call their shop tomorrow. I’d like for it to be here by Friday. There’s cone cracking to be done! lol
    My reading on this subject has me believing that only hot .357 loads with 125 gr bullets crack M19 forcing cones. I think the M19 is a little light for .357 anyway so I treat mine like a K frame and run lighter loads. I moved on up to a M28 for .357 std loads. I don't like having my hands beat up, but then I'm a boomer.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

@Borderland
    I’ve let my .357 magnum range supply run dry. There are still some .357 Golden Sabers in my safe, and I’ll fire a cylinder or two through the M19, but I carry Golden Saber +P loads.

When I had a 2.5” 19, I found that mid range .357 like golden saber or 135 GDHP was the sweet spot. Again, JMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Annddd the Ruger is posted. Would if I could haha

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

LOL! Ohhhh Yeah… That’s up for grabs, along with a 4” M19-3. I’ve been nibbling around the edges for long enough, and finally got what I wanted.

Does this hammer boss look odd?

Attachment 116027
    I looked at my 19-3 and 19-6 just now. I took the cylinder latch off just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. There is no dimple there or any indication of a pin, or boss, what so ever. Now it could be there, I'm not saying it isn't, but I can't see one even with magnification. I'm not up to speed on the internal stuff under the plate so not much help.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I looked at my 19-3 and 19-6 just now. I took the cylinder latch off just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. There is no dimple there or any indication of a pin, or boss, what so ever. Now it could be there, I'm not saying it isn't, but I can't see one even with magnification. I'm not up to speed on the internal stuff under the plate so not much help.
    I had my 4” M19-3 out of the safe this morning, but forgot to look. Thanks!

@Borderland
    I have a super cool microscope:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  50.2 KB

Here’s the trigger boss:

Size:  52.2 KB
    Last edited by FrankB; 03-11-2024 at 05:37 PM.

I had my 4” M19-3 out of the safe this morning, but forgot to look. Thanks!

@Borderland
    I have a super cool microscope:

Size:  50.2 KB

Here’s the trigger boss:

Size:  52.2 KB
    As per the late LSP972 they're machined flush and the whole frame is polished afterward before the finish is applied. Most of them aren't visible to the naked eye. IIRC, that was true from sometime after WW2 through the present. Prior to that I believe they were threaded for installation instead of pressed in. And quite visible, with the exposed portion being domed. You can see the difference between pre-war guns and those made afterward. But pre-war guns aren't really my thing, I am open to that detail being corrected.

There's not much a microscope can tell you, there. Once the studs are installed the only concern is whether they're bent or broken, which requires being viewed from the plate-side. Everything else is cosmetics. Obsessing over how visible they are or aren't from the frame side is a lot like obsessing over a bore-scope image. Either the barrel will shoot or it won't. Don't overthink it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    If I wasn’t in the middle of the stupidest f’ing work issue I’ve ever seen in my life, I would be all over that Ruger.

User Tag List