Thread: Slide milling question - 1911 plate

Site Supporter

Slide milling question - 1911 plate

Searched but didn’t see anything.

Im thinking of getting my DW Valor milled for an EPS or Romeo X carry but want the ability to fill the milled space with a plate if I ever wanted to remove the dot. Sort of like the factory plates optic ready pistols come with. I know we have discussed the milling of 1911 slides but haven’t seen any information regarding cover plates for the milled pockets.

Options? Can probably source extra plates for common optics ready pistols - that would be the easy button but maybe not the best aesthetically. Not really interested in paying what a smith would want to fashion a custom one.

What do you guys know of that is out there?

The only one I know of that fits what you want is the Nighthawk IOS system.

https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/inte...e-optic-system

"Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Nighthawk Custom's IOS system is the slickest arrangement IMO, but it's a little bit pricey. My recent quote was $828 for the machining, slide refinish and one mounting plate. Additional plates (for RDS or irons) are $150 each.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    Nighthawk Custom's IOS system is the slickest arrangement IMO, but it's a little bit pricey. My recent quote was $828 for the machining, slide refinish and one mounting plate. Additional plates (for RDS or irons) are $150 each.

Im familiar. But quite frankly, that’s ridiculous. Appreciate the response, though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    Im familiar. But quite frankly, that’s ridiculous. Appreciate the response, though.
    Well, that's Nighthawk for ya'...

Holy shit I didn't realize it was that much. That's obscene.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    Holy shit I didn't realize it was that much. That's obscene.
    Seems so at first glance, but the ability to switch out multiple sights (both irons and red-dots) in the field - on the fly - without losing zero - and without the use of tools, fasteners or adhesives is pretty novel. I'm satisfied that level of innovation and the lack of any meaningful competition is what's driving the price of this system.

I haven't convinced myself that I personally need this level of modularity, but if I was seriously pursuing the idea of a "multiple use" pistol, I think the IOS would be money well spent.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Seems so at first glance, but the ability to switch out multiple sights (both irons and red-dots) in the field - on the fly - without losing zero - and without the use of tools, fasteners or adhesives is pretty novel. I'm satisfied that level of innovation and the lack of any meaningful competition is what's driving the price of this system.

I haven't convinced myself that I personally need this level of modularity, but if I was seriously pursuing the idea of a "multiple use" pistol, I think the IOS would be money well spent.
    This is an interesting idea on paper but how practical is it really? Is a shooter likely to need to be able to swap from irons to dot or from one dot to another out in the field? I can see some application for maybe a match shooter who has an optic failure during a major match or something but otherwise I'm not sure this is all that useful.

With that said, I have had some optics fail and having the ability to take the optic off and continue shooting without the need for tools, some degreaser, and thread locker would be helpful. But not at the $800 price.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

There's truth in what you're saying. It is probably value appropriate for what you get, but a bit spendy for the average user.

@TOTS

ATEI has a coverplate https://ateiguns.com/product/apex-ba...p-m2-0-models/ but for M&P and Glocks only.

I suspect since the 1911 needs a Trijicon plate for RMR footprint optics, there isn't much out there that will work on the plate.

According to ATEI FAQ the RMRcc can be direct milled without a plate and therefore it may be possible to get a cover plate for that. I'm not sure it would be affordable though, or retain the use of the rear sight.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    There's truth in what you're saying. It is probably value appropriate for what you get, but a bit spendy for the average user.

@TOTS

ATEI has a coverplate https://ateiguns.com/product/apex-ba...p-m2-0-models/ but for M&P and Glocks only.

I suspect since the 1911 needs a Trijicon plate for RMR footprint optics, there isn't much out there that will work on the plate.

According to ATEI FAQ the RMRcc can be direct milled without a plate and therefore it may be possible to get a cover plate for that. I'm not sure it would be affordable though, or retain the use of the rear sight.
    Thanks for the thought. That’s definitely similar to what Im looking for and that price ($25) is exactly what Im looking for. I’m thinking about getting milled for the EPS or carry. CH Precision does this. I’ll see how a factory 365 plate looks and if I don’t like it I’ll make one out of some aluminum stock I have and probably get it anodized to match my blue finish as best as possible.

User Tag List