Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone else find the 43X inferior to the G26?

I still have a 43X and a 43 frame. Depending on the occasion and need, I can configure it how I need. I also have been running the Z9 mags in my 43, which has negated the use of the larger 43X frame in most cases. I haven't ventured into the Shield S15 mags, again, I would just carry my 19.

Yes, the 43 is snappy, but I also don't notice much of a difference between it and the 365 I had. My 365 was 100% reliable as well as my 43X and 43, even with the Z9 mags. I guess I'm lucky, as I also have a 42 that has well over 5k rounds through it without a single failure.

IMO if I was going to carry a 26, which I did for a bit years ago, I'm just going to carry my 19.

I could what if all day, but in the events I have been directly involved with, 15, to 30 rounds was all that was required. I easily have that many on my person at any given time with any of my current off duty rotations. YMMV

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 03-11-2024 at 10:36 AM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

In my hands—and my hands only—I’ve found the 26 to be the most reliable Glock, under all circumstances. The only 26 I’ve ever had malf in my hands was a used 26 2.5 that was so grimy and old that it wouldn’t cycle. A quick cleaning and fresh OEM springs all around brought it back up to boring, hammer and anvil reliability. Conversely, I’ve had a gen 3 17 fail while shooting inverted on my back in the mud and rain, and the 43 barely makes the grade on the square range. If anything—grip, fatigue, ammo choice—exceeds the slimmer margins of the slimline, it’ll malf, in my experience. This includes a fresh new one (this year) with all the cool breech cuts or whatever.

Any are better than the G36 though: somewhere in a parallel universe where Spock wears a goatee, that thing is the most reliable Glock, but it isn’t this universe.

The 26 is so easy to shoot, so accurate in my hands, and so stone reliable that I *have* to like it, despite it having all the visual appear of freshly caught catfish, and the AIWB ergos of a surplus Mills grenade. I’ve learned my lesson: I’ll be keeping the MOS version I have now.

The 42, at least the new ones, is also a very good gun for what it is. The lesser demands of the .380 cartridge allow the 42 to be both very thin, and very reliable. It’s also G26 accurate, IMHO.

I don’t even know why I still have (and keep re-buying, mind) the 43. Mostly to have a Royal Flush in Glock 9mm barrel lengths, I suppose.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

G26 >> 43 for me as well.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Wow, I really appreciate this information. I’ve seen you mention that the slimline Glocks were comparatively unreliable but didn’t realize it was this egregious. Out of curiosity, have you also tested the P365 series with WML/RDS? Just wondering how those performed with those attachments.

Back to the original post, I also agree that the 26 is superior to the 43x/48. I can shoot the 26 much better than the slimline Glocks. Like TGS, though, I realized that if I can carry a G26, I can carry a G19. So, that’s what I do. I can shoot a G19 very closely to even a G34 on virtually all range drills, though I assume I’d see a difference on something like a USPSA field course. I’m a decent-sized guy so I can conceal even a G45 without much effort, so I personally don’t gain too much from the slimline Glocks other than weight savings really.
    We authorize red dots on the 365 series guns and we have no restrictions on weapons mounted lights for them though few of our folks run WML on them.

In my experience, the 365 series run well. It’s not only a better gun then the slim Glocks, but I believe mechanically it’s a better gun than the 320.

In fairness to the slim Glocks we tested them with our duty ammo, which is 124 grain plus P gold dot. Those guns seem to run better with standard pressure ammo, but we were not going to change duty ammo or authorize a second ammo type specifically for one non-issued / optional weapon.

If you are carrying in a belt holster a Glock 26 with a +2 extension and a Glock 19 carry about the same. If you’re willing to forgo the extension, it is possible to pocket carry a Glock 26.

I’ve shot the 43X..grip is too thin for me. 26 shoots like a bigger pistol. I prefer it to the 43 Series. The regular 43 is too snappy, hard to grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    In fairness to the slim Glocks we tested them with our duty ammo, which is 124 grain plus P gold dot. Those guns seem to run better with standard pressure ammo, but we were not going to change duty ammo or authorize a second ammo type specifically for one non-issued / optional weapon.
    As a footnote/Item of interest/to pile on, the issues I had with my Glock 48 were all with Speer Gold Dot 124+p, my carry ammo at the time.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Personally, while some of my negative thoughts on the slim line blocks are based on anecdotal observation of individual guns, it’s also based on test results from two large federal agencies which involved stock OEM guns and mags.

One of those agencies tested the Glock 43 and 43X 6 times, resulting in 6 failures and returning the guns to Glock for improvements before finally getting them to pass testing. Even then, the testing process had to be reduced to 6,000 rounds instead of that agency’s normal 10,000 round protocol. Though approved, the gun is only authorized with only one of their two types of duty ammunition and was not authorized for use with WML, which are issued on their service sized Glocks.

The other, my own agency, Initially approved the Glock 43 via let’s call it an “irregular” process. The Glock 43’s I saw in use did very poorly most could not make it through a 50 round course with our duty ammo. Although in fairness, these guns generally do better with standard velocity ammo versus plus P.

When the 43X and the 48 were introduced, we tested them using the 43 as a baseline. Suffice to say they did so poorly that not only were the 43X and the 48 not approved but the Glock 43 was de-authorized.
    I do remember the 43 having issues when it launched, but not so much the 43X. I don't doubt any of the testing but I've yet to have an issue with either RDS equipped or non-RDS equipped 43X nor have I heard of any hiccups at our range. I don't hear nearly as much from the range, now, though as "my guys" have mostly retired or otherwise moved on. I doubt I've got 3k rounds through any given example, though.

My rule on Glocks is "don't fuck with it" anyway, but I would double not fuck with it on the 43X and haven't tried a WML.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I have adopted @GAP approach of just using the G26 with flat baseplates and yeah my freestyle precision is better than with the extension pinky rest. My software glitch. But with the flat it conceals much better than a G19 on me.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    As a footnote/Item of interest/to pile on, the issues I had with my Glock 48 were all with Speer Gold Dot 124+p, my carry ammo at the time.
    Gold dot 124gr +P is my preferred load in the 17 and the 19 but out of deference to what I’ve read on this forum I won’t run it out of either of my G48s or my 43.

I bought some 115gr Critical Defense and some standard pressure 115gr Gold dot for the slim lines.

Site Supporter
    Being in a 10 round state, no need for 26 extensions. However, I shot the flat mags just fine in TX and it was my EDC as it comfy and concealable in heat. Took a class with the 26 and the instructor said - full sized gun, blah, blah. However, I shot the 26 as well as most in the class. I might consider a 19 if the mag bans were limited. I dunno. I've carried my G44 (for grins) here - 10 rounds of raging 22 LR and it's not a concealment problem. The 26 though just right.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List