Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Lipsey's S&W 432 Ultimate Carry J Frame long term shooting evaluation.

Site Supporter
    It sure looks like it’s regulated for the 85-grain load. Is there a lighter wadcutter out there that might bring POI down a bit?
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    It sure looks like it’s regulated for the 85-grain load. Is there a lighter wadcutter out there that might bring POI down a bit?
    Good observation.

@Lost River are you using a cover hold?
    Taking a break from social media.

@Lost River It looks like the rear sight is moved pretty far to the right to get centered hits. Is this consistent with the way you need to adjust sights for your other pistols? I know that different people see the sights differently. My wife and I can't use the same sight settings on iron sighted pistols.

It is a little to the right, but nothing that I am concerned in the least about.

When I shoot a 6 o'clock hold it puts them right to the sights.

as is shown in the pic from the other day, prior to me doing the last fine tune on the windage:

If I cover the target, it shoots just above the sights. Frankly I would not mess with anything at this point.

50 yard shooting Lipsey's 432 UC .32 H&R Lost River 100 Grain Poly Coat wadcutters

Friends,

I went out yesterday and got in some more shooting. Had to test some more of the heavy .45 ACP +P 250 grain poly coat loads I have been working on, so I figured that it was a great opportunity to shoot the 432 as well.

There have been a couple people that I have read their posts out on the interwebs who wondered how it would perform at 50 yards. So I figured I would take this opportunity to give it a shot. I set up my bags across the tailgate of my old Land Cruiser. Then I walked the target out along with my laser rangefinder and set it at 50 yards.

Here were the results of the first 6 shots at 50 yards:

I had used an old IDPA target that I shot on previously so I just stuck the big white paper over the holes. As you can see it hit pretty well centered, with one a bit higher up and one low and left. The one low and left immediately made me start questioning things. "Did I do that, is it a gun thing, such as one chamber slightly off?", etc. However, knowing how it had shot the previous 350 rounds I highly doubted it was a gun issue and like 99% of the time, it was likely shooter error.

For the ADD-ADHD crowd, I will skip ahead on this one. It was me. I suck.

So I pasted some dots over the holes and fired another 6 shots.

5 out of 6 pretty darn close, and one a bit high. I will take that group. Overall I was dang happy so far.

Next I fired another 6, but before I get to that I will tell you about a conversation I had with someone a couple days ago. It had been mentioned that just slight changes in how a person grips a gun can have a pretty significant change in the point of impact of the projectiles. They were spot on, in that observation. As strange as this sounds, when I am shooting groups with a DA revolver, especially standing, I will often shoot the gun all double action. Most people find that to be odd. But the thing is that you can pick up most DA/SA revolvers and cock the hammer back and fire it, all while holding it in a variety of ways. It is substantially harder to do that in DA mode due to the long trigger reach. It forces you to hold the gun very consistently each time, with it perfectly in line with the bones in your forearm. When I shoot long range with my Smith revolvers, I do it almost exclusively DA.

Back to the shooting of the 432UC. I decided to grip the gun differently (choking up a bit higher) and removed the soft cushion that I had underneath my hands. As it ended up, the gun was bouncing a good bit more. The results were very telling. At 3-7 yards you may not be able to tell much. At 50 yards is was dramatically different.

I got a bit ahead of myself and taped the target before I took a pic. But the orange stickers are from where I had gripped the gun differently. The wind had picked up and a couple of my blue stickers had blown off.

You will note that there are only 5 orange stickers. I think I pasted one of the last six shot string with a blue dot. But regardless, you can see how just changing your grip, and not having a proper rest can cause a rather significant change, both in group size, but also in point of impact.

More to follow..

More 50 yard shooting of the .32 H&R Poly Coated wadcutters.

Now that I knew I was on target and knew how to hold the gun to get the best results I fired and emptied the gun three different times before I walked down to the target. In spite of the fact that I struggled a little with keeping the front sight in focus, the Lipsey's 432UC really put the wadcutters right where they needed to be.

This gun just puts them right in there. The sights are exceptional. For a gun that is intended to be used in the role this one was designed for, one could not ask for anything better.

As mentioned earlier, I have been working on a .45 ACP +P 250 grain Poly Coat load. I had the G21.5 that is topped with the CH Duty enclosed emitter RDO as well as 5" Colt and 4.25" Colt 1911s, and a 4506, as well as an HK USP. In between shooting those I fired the 432 at a few different targets. I did not quite get to 100 rounds. I fired a total of 80 rounds. Was trying for 100, so as to makes things simple an easy to track, but it just did not happen, as I had kids to pick up. You know, that life stuff that pops up.

So right now the round count sits at 430 rds.

Loving the gun and now I know that with the 100 grain poly coat wadcutters, I can shoot out to 50 yards and be on the money.

Those results, with any J-frame, are pretty hard to argue with.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Those results, with any J-frame, are pretty hard to argue with.
    I couldn't do better with a Roland Special and I know most other people couldn't either ("other people" doesn't include the exceptional shooters we have in this group).

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    It had been mentioned that just slight changes in how a person grips a gun can have a pretty significant change in the point of impact of the projectiles.
    That may explain why I was shooting a bit high...

Not being familiar with these new stocks, I was holding the gun perhaps too high up on the back strap and it didn't quite feel natural.

Thanks for mentioning this!
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blackburn View Post
    That may explain why I was shooting a bit high...

Not being familiar with these new stocks, I was holding the gun perhaps too high up on the back strap and it didn't quite feel natural.

Thanks for mentioning this!
    The small footprint of a J frame makes for a finicky platform. Small changes in grasp or grips can have large impacts on POI, grouping, etc. even as much as ammo selection. One of the advantages of the revolver though is the ability to put radically different grips on it to best fit your hands. If you can't get to a happy place with grasp on the grips that came with it, easy enough to change the grips to your grasp. Of course that's also how you end up with a box o' grips. Or so I've heard... 😀
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

User Tag List