Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lipsey's S&W 432 Ultimate Carry J Frame long term shooting evaluation.

Hendrix's hand went to the snub-nosed Smith & Wesson.

Model 36, five-shot revolver he'd stashed in his back pocket while inside the store. Pulling it out, he adopted a Weaver stance and took aim at the suspect. For the benefit of all present, Hendrix loudly identified himself as a police officer.

….

Ripley stalked after him. Both men exchanged more rounds as they moved. Hendrix's third shot hit Ripley just as one of Ripley's rounds stuck him in his right lower leg, causing Hendrix to collapse onto his back as his fourth round went wide of Ripley, striking the store behind him.

Lying on the ground like some upended tortoise, Hendrix knew he had but one round left. From the outset, Ripley hadn't had to concern himself with conserving rounds, and was even still shooting at Hendrix. Desperate, Hendrix raised his gun once more at Ripley and fired his last round. It struck Ripley in his left leg, severing the femoral artery.

Still the man kept coming.

I always think of this story when people talk reloads and j-frames.

https://www.policemag.com/patrol/art...ornia-03301996

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Funny you mention the hands shaking from adrenaline thing. I have had a few people mention/bring up in AARs about my focus during shooting/events whatever. I have had to tell a couple of them that what they are not seeing is that while during the event I can keep switched on, the funny thing is that an hour (or whatever) after it is over and things are settled down, that is when I get the hand shake thing going on, or even had sweating in one case. To the point that a couple times I have had to tell a couple guys that a written statement is going to have to wait, and I am taking a break for a bit, and go kick back and close my eyes and relax/decompress for a however long it takes.

It just hits people differently. You can turn it off for a while until the event is over, but eventually it is going to catch up to you.

It was at least an hour after my incident when I puked into an Idaho Falls Pd trash can. It was another 30 minutes until I was able to regain composure and continue with my statement.

Funny you mention the hands shaking from adrenaline thing. I have had a few people mention/bring up in AARs about my focus during shooting/events whatever. I have had to tell a couple of them that what they are not seeing is that while during the event I can keep switched on, the funny thing is that an hour (or whatever) after it is over and things are settled down, that is when I get the hand shake thing going on, or even had sweating in one case. To the point that a couple times I have had to tell a couple guys that a written statement is going to have to wait, and I am taking a break for a bit, and go kick back and close my eyes and relax/decompress for a however long it takes.

It just hits people differently. You can turn it off for a while until the event is over, but eventually it is going to catch up to you.
    https://medicine.yale.edu/news/yale-...-soldiers-are/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10807963/

https://www.forcescience.com/2007/05...h-performance/
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

That is very interesting Totem.

Makes perfect sense and actually explains a lot of things.

That is very interesting Totem.

Makes perfect sense and actually explains a lot of things.
    I only know about this because I coach people (including myself) on how to perform music under considerable pressure. I came across an early article on NPY while researching psych of performance stuff. There’s most def a rabbit hole there, FWIW.

Of note is that the researchers could tell who was able to select into specialized units just by looking at their blood alone, with 96+ percent accuracy—and the exceptions tended to be people who failed out due to sustaining an injury in selection, or similar. Compelling stuff, IMO.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I never shook during, I have the shakes as soon as the situation deescalates. Doesn't seem to matter the duration of the event either, a 10 minute gun fight or a 24 hour battle I was in, the shakes came after.

Trying to do anything while those shakes are going would be... interesting.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I never shook during, I have the shakes as soon as the situation deescalates. Doesn't seem to matter the duration of the event either, a 10 minute gun fight or a 24 hour battle I was in, the shakes came after.

No gun fights or deployments, but I had the same experience with my vasectomy!

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post

The target array at Rogers can induce shakes/condition orange. I was shaking very badly during a test, also partly due to self induced stress with my friends there, desire to do well. I just gripped really hard to overcome it.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post

I think the worst mistake Hendrix made was announcing himself verbally rather than just maneuvering to gain a tactical advantage and let some well placed shots be the surprise announcement.

Definitely a good read though.
    Are you loyal to the constitution or the “institution”?

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post

Reading the story again, I don't think he ever would have had a chance to reload his gun. But it certainly does drive home the idea that a J-frame isn't a "go looking for trouble" gun, and that capacity and availability of reloads can matter. Not that he had a choice (duty to act), besides carrying a bigger gun off duty that day. Hell of a way to learn that lesson. Sometimes you "run what you brung".

Realistically, most folks are not going to reload a J in the middle of a fight, shakes or no... but if you have to, you better have solid skills if you want to do it with any sort of speed.

User Tag List