Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Greatest movie twists

The Departed...
    Walking out of the elevator at the end of the movie.
    And walking into the apartment at the end of the movie.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

I'm once again reminded why I love this place. I can pretty much guarantee no one I actually know in "real life" has ever seen Primer or The Hole. I'll toss out a much more well known movie with a twist that I feel doesn't get the credit it deserves, but it's what I love the most about it - No Country for Old Men.

*SPOILER ALERT*

It sets up Josh Brolin's character as the hero, and then halfway through the film he's unceremoniously killed offscreen, and not even by the villain of the piece but by some random cartel guys, and eventually you realize the movie was never about Josh Brolin's character, it was about the Tommy Lee Jones character.

The Cohen brothers know how to properly subvert people's expectations.

Another good one was in "Serenity", when the stakes got raised via a stake.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    The Cohen brothers know how to properly subvert people's expectations.

Another good one was in "Serenity", when the stakes got raised via a stake.
    How do Reavers clean their spears?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    How do Reavers clean their spears?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by DDTSGM View Post
    Additionally, I didn't see the ending in Se7en either.
    That was back in the era when I had (slightly) evolved to the point where I saw my wife being out of town was an opportunity to watch movies she would not like, rather than go out with my younger buddies. So after watching that creepy ending (and presumably having a number of beers...) I go to bed, alone in the house.

Something (probably a mouse in front of a motion detector) set the security system off at about 03:30, and I found myself wide awake and holding a pistol in a very brief amount of time...

The Mist
    A how-to demonstration of the cinematic difference between Atmospheric Suspense, Psychological Drama, Creature Feature Adventure, Terror, Gut Wrenching Horror...and then Existentialist Hell.
    Accompanied by the utterly haunting "Host of Seraphim" by Dead Can Dance. I've heard the climax of this song described as "The angels informing God of Humanity's extinction."

Almost 2 full pages and no one has mentioned the original Planet of the Apes?
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by LtDave View Post
    Almost 2 full pages and no one has mentioned the original Planet of the Apes?
    Or for that matter, Soylent Green?

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Or for that matter, Soylent Green?
    Post #11
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

User Tag List