Thread: Tikka Rebate Heads-Up

Tikka Rebate Heads-Up

Just got my check. There's a notice on the front that says, "Void if not presented before 08/23/24."

Don't let that one slide.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Just got my check. There's a notice on the front that says, "Void if not presented before 08/23/24."

Don't let that one slide.

Okie John
    What did you get??

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    What did you get??
    Tikka T3x Compact in 308. https://choose.tikka.fi/global/code/TF1T2927A130063

Attachment 115969

It’s built for women, kids, and people wearing heavy jackets. Overall length is 40.2” with a 20” barrel. Length of pull is 12.5” and has a spacer to bring the stock to full length. I tried the spacer briefly then put it back in the box. The short LOP is a massive advantage when you need to get hits quickly.

The plan is to use it for black bear and blacktail deer on tree farms around the Pacific Northwest, so mostly still hunting in thick brush with occasional shots to ~350 yards.

It’s lighter than advertised. The website says 6 pounds 3 ounces, but mine is 5 pounds 9 ounces. For reference, a Kimber Montana in 308 weighs 5 pounds, 2 ounces. Based on recoil, this is as light as I want to go in a 308 that will use full-power ammo. Lots of practice in prone is a fact of life if you need to make long shots and that's just no fun with a rifle this light.

Accuracy and trigger are typical for a Tikka, but it’s harder to shoot well than a heavier rifle. Weight is 7 pounds, 6 ounces with a Nightforce 3-10x42 SHV. Sub-MOA groups from the bench are common enough with this scope and inexpensive factory loads, but it feels top heavy and awkward in fast offhand shooting and the eye relief is too short for prone.

With a 4x Leupold as shown in the picture, it weighs 6 pounds, 13.75 ounces. It’s fast in offhand but it’s harder to make good groups from the bench. Recoil is also sharp, partly due to the hard factory recoil pad. Eye relief is better with the Leupold but still awkward in prone.

Not sure where I’ll end up on the optic, probably a conventional 3-9x42 with the largest eye box I can find.

Velocities are almost as fast as a 22” barrel. Factory 150s run 2,650 to 2,700 fps and 180s run 2,450 to 2,500 fps. I get 2,700 with the 165-grain handloads that I’ll use for elk. I have two reduced loads for deer in the brush. One uses the 170-grain Speer flat-point designed for the 30-30 at 2,185 fps. The other uses a 150-grain spitzer at 2,250 fps.

Nice rifle overall.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    I’d be interested in what you fin for a 3x9 scope.

I can't see your attachment.

What is the rebate? I can't find anything about a rebate on Tikkas at the moment. I see that they've had $75 off here and there throughout the years. But, cant see anything on Tikka or Beretta about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I can't see your attachment.
    Name:  Tikka 308C.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  43.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    What is the rebate? I can't find anything about a rebate on Tikkas at the moment. I see that they've had $75 off here and there throughout the years. But, cant see anything on Tikka or Beretta about it.
    They ran it late last year. Pretty sure it's over. This was a heads-up for anyone who had already taken advantage of it.

Okie John

You could hunt everything in North America with that rifle, right there. From big bears to Whitetail deer, to whatever. Especially if you handloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    You could hunt everything in North America with that rifle, right there. From big bears to Whitetail deer, to whatever. Especially if you handloaded.
    Yep.

Ballistics like that have been putting meat on the table since the late 19th century.

Okie John

User Tag List