Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fly United.

United has fallen a long way. My dad flew for them for 34 years so I grew up flying United and hanging around O’hare waiting for Dad to get home. Used to meet him at the gate. He retired just before 9/11. It’s definitely changed for the worse over the years.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    And, as we both know - we are all just one bad day from making the news cycle……
    Speak for yourself! I’m done! Lol
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    And, as we both know - we are all just one bad day from making the news cycle……
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Speak for yourself! I’m done! Lol
    I’m almost done with my applications- hopefully my quota of newsworthy days have all been logged…

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    I’m almost done with my applications- hopefully my quota of newsworthy days have all been logged…
    Good Luck!

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I actually take that back. I’m airline done. Not flying done. I thought I was. Then I got this phone call....🤷🤦🏻 Lol
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Smashed the shit out of that car. Bombs away.
    The car owner's probably glad that there was news coverage about it. Can you imagine telling the adjuster that your car was totaled because an airplane dropped a tire on it?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Used to meet him at the gate. He retired just before 9/11. It’s definitely changed for the worse over the years.
    Pre 9-11, I would take my A20 radio with me to the airport when picking up somebody. I'd sit in a cafe with some coffee, tune in Approach Control and listen for the flight to check in. I'd follow it to the Tower freq and, when they were told to contact Ground Control, I'd go through the magnetometer and go to the gate to meet my party.

Can't do that anymore.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The car owner's probably glad that there was news coverage about it. Can you imagine telling the adjuster that your car was totaled because an airplane dropped a tire on it?
    Shit happens. When I was stationed in Pensacola, VT-1 was one of our squadrons. VT-1 was the T-34 trainer I posted about earlier. That was the first aircraft a cadet trained in. A guy in our barracks came in one day and said a T-34 had just hit his car. Taxi accident? No, hit him while on the main road leaving the base. We went out and looked at his car. Yuge deep crease down the passenger side about 6' long. Nobody got hurt and the T-34 landed. All of these cadets had instructors when they flew. Instructor was probably asleep. Saw that a few times myself. Sometimes on out lying fields the instructors would taxi up to the crash truck, get out, and send the cadet back up into the pattern. They were probably in the cockpit 4-6 hours a day 7 days a week. Brutal. That's what our schedule was except 12-14 hours a day on the ground. 1968.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Pre 9-11, I would take my A20 radio with me to the airport when picking up somebody. I'd sit in a cafe with some coffee, tune in Approach Control and listen for the flight to check in. I'd follow it to the Tower freq and, when they were told to contact Ground Control, I'd go through the magnetometer and go to the gate to meet my party.

Can't do that anymore.
    My best friend’s father was an air traffic controller at O’Hare. He used to take us into the main ATC center so we could watch what was going on. Took us up in the tower a couple times too. I imagine that’s no longer allowed either.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

My neighbor who works for the FAA invited me into the tower at Paine Field in Everett, WA several years ago. He no longer works there. I should have taken him up on the offer.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List