Thread: Olight iMini2: Not Your Daddy's Keychain Light

Olight iMini2: Not Your Daddy's Keychain Light

I was recently given one of these by a buddy, and I'm pretty impressed. It's a very useful EDC light, in my opinion, and wanted to mention it here. Apologies if it's already been covered; did a search, didn't find anything.

https://www.olightstore.com/imini-2-...ini-flashlight

1) I hate big wallets and overloaded keychains. With that said, the size of this thing is absolutely miniscule and I don't notice its addition.

2) It's only rated for 50 lumens and 110 candela and a 60 minute runtime, which I get some people will scoff at in comparison to larger lights. It's roughly the same amount of lumens compared to a cell phone light, however the beam has exponentially more throw and a useful hotspot whereas cell phone lights don't illuminate farther than a couple feet due to the complete diffusion of the raw LED output. I've used it for looking around the house and on walks at night, and IMO it's useable as an EDC light for basic tasks.

3) It activates automatically by pulling the light head out of its USB socket/keychain attachment. It's magnetically attached, which means you can pull it out and attach it to other metal objects if you happen to lack a third hand during whatever task you're performing. Could be attached to stairwell railing, car hood, whatever. Additionally, the magnetic pull within the socket is balanced enough that if you grip the whole light in your hand and use just your thumb to pull it out enough to activate, you can hold it like a regular flashlight, which just makes it very convenient for intermittent on and off like when walking at night.

4) Its light weight, small round shape, and knurling makes it surprisingly useful in the cigar-hold for shooting as a backup handheld. In this application, for comparison, the light's usefulness is slightly better than a Surefire XC1 given the more focused hotspot. Lumens don't tell the whole story, and this is a great example of that.

5) The end of the light is actually a USB plug. So, you don't even need a cord. For people like me who travel a lot, that's a nice touch.

All in all, I'm very impressed as an EDC light. I will still maintain use of a larger light on protection details or enforcement operations, but I'm pretty happy with this as an EDC light. For $20, it's worth to have if you don't like carrying a dedicated bigger light everyday, or if you just want a backup that would always be on your person.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Are the batteries still suspect in Olight's?

User Tag List