Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LionHeart Vulcan Optic Ready

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I've been digging into this, and haven't found evidence that the DP-51 and S&W 59 share a common design. I'd be interested in knowing more because I'm not a fan of the S&W based on owning two.
    The LH9 pistol series that preceded the Vulcan inherited the magazine and barrel design from the S&W Model 59, but they use dual locking lugs. Not much else came from the S&W lineage as far as I know. Maybe the frame/slide dimensions and geometry are similar? The OG trigger guard on the LH9 maybe?

^^^ Some of the Model 59 mags won't actually run reliably. Tolerance stacking can be an issue and I've noticed several owners to run Lionheart mags for carry and save 59 units for range use only.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Are those decockers, safeties, or both at the rear of the frame?
    Safety-only. You "decock" by pushing the cocked hammer forward with your thumb with a light effort to overcome a minor cam resistance. The innards remain fully cocked, like HK's LEM, and the trigger just brings the lowered hammer back before the sear trips so it has enough arc going forward to pop a primer. It feels more double action-y than HK's more striker-fired feel in standard LEM configurations. You can also carry cocked and locked but the chance is pretty good that bumping the hammer on something during carry will lower it, anyway.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    The LH9 pistol series that preceded the Vulcan inherited the magazine and barrel design from the S&W Model 59, but they use dual locking lugs. Not much else came from the S&W lineage as far as I know. Maybe the frame/slide dimensions and geometry are similar? The OG trigger guard on the LH9 maybe?
    The design is very similar in terms of its overall silhouette and layout, but not cloned per se. The parts are all different enough that nothing interchanges--except the magazines. My Daewoo runs fine (so far) on 6906 and 5906 mags. Which is kind of a nice bonus.

Beyond that...

Like Robinson said, the "Dae-Heart" guns use a similar barrel setup, with a belled muzzle, a pressed-in bushing and similar slide/barrel dimensions. Like the Smiths, they cam on the slide stop pin (which is also very similar)--but the Korean design uses a more traditional Sig/BHP-ish cam path, whereas the Smiths use little "tabs" on the sides of the barrel to assist in camming. And, as mentioned, the Dae-Hearts use two concentric locking lugs instead of one.

The trigger bar setup reminds more of a Beretta 92, actually. It's external and the SA break has that familiar 92-ish "thwack" to it. At least to me. The ACTUAL DA pull is awful (at least on mine). But you never use it, because you've got the DA+. Unless you've got some kinda second strike situation.

In a way, they seem to have incorporated a lot of the best ideas in pistol design, as of the late '80s: Smith, Beretta, maybe a touch of Sig...

To me, my Daewoo compact still feels most similar to a S&W 6906. But the G10 grips and straight backstrap make it a much sharper experience. And, overall, I think the fit and finish seems a touch more refined. To me, it's definitely its own thing... but if you like 3rd gen Smiths... what you like about them probably translates to the Dae-Heart.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 03-08-2024 at 02:21 PM.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

User Tag List