View Poll Results: What's in your AARP Mag?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. They All Fall to Hardball; Two World Wars; 230 gr FMJ

9 11.84%
  • 2. Some kind of handload, possibly SWC or other

1 1.32%
  • 3. 230 Gr WWB JHP

1 1.32%
  • 4. 230 Gr Hydrashok, because I'm SuPPosta!

2 2.63%
  • 5. 230 Gr Winchester xname JHP (Ranger T, Bonded, PDX1, SXT, Black Talons of Scary Razor sharp death etc. etc.)

9 11.84%
  • 6. 230 Gr Gold Dot

17 22.37%
  • 7. 230 Gr HST

40 52.63%
  • 8. 220+p Critical Duty

2 2.63%
  • 9. XTP's of any grain

1 1.32%
  • 10. 185 gr JHP of any type (Critical Defense, Golden Saber, 2 different types of Sierra JHP all look to perform well even from shorter barrels)

8 10.53%
  • 11. Any other grain JHP 165, 200 etc.

1 1.32%
  • 12. Some kind of screwdriver, fragmenting, or other "Gimmicky" type of bullet design

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your .45 AARP Carry Ammo?

I have several cases left of the bonded Remington 230-grain Golden Saber round. I also have a few cases of the standard pressure 230-grain PMC StarFire. The latter is being consumed during range sessions while the former is what I have loaded in my carry magazines. I shoot one box every couple of weeks of the GS as I rotate ammo. The GS load is very sensitive to bullet setback, so it gets pulled once it has been chambered once. All is being shot in a customized Kimber Warrior as that is what I carry. I have one Commander-length pistol left but it does not see the light of day. I occasionally willl use one of my Harrison Custom guns during a range session, but they are retired from carry usage.

I have 7+1 rounds of Federal HST 230 grain .45 American Communist Perforator in my Springfield by God 5" all-steel 1911. I figger all I gotta do is point that big ole barrel their way and they'll either drop on the spot from fright, or run away peeing their pants.

My G30S gets standard pressure HST.

The 30.4 and the M&P Compact 4" are omnivorous. They just don't care, and the Smith seems to recoil less. Seems.

Those two are much more accepting of +P, and I found it to be a tiny bit more accurate. Would it matter? Not as much as tactics.

I carried a .45 once after a match. Some Hornady Critical Defense hit to point of aim so one went in the chamber with a magazine of ball under it. Spare magazine in the pocket had more ball. Because that's what I had left to load in the gun rather than switch back to my revolver. For further P-F demerits, the gun was a Firestar running the flush 6-round magazine. And I open carried it while getting mozzarella sticks on the way home.

Edit: My incomplete 1911 only cycles Winchester White Box FMJ, right now. But not a carry gun so whatever.

230 ball or GDHP. Because: long vetted; decent track record; I’m an old Lewiston guy at heart; too expensive to buy and vet with anything else, since I know all my 1911s work with ball and GDHP 230.

Dirty 230, FTW.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Because I am a card carrying AARP member, I probably won't be carrying a 45.

However, if I was I chose hardball because it is most apt to work in any gun. I remember when I was shooting a lot of 1911s in 45 in competition. Every weekend I would be going through my large collection of magazines, checking to see which ones were going to function OK this week.

I would probably drag out my old Star PD and carry it Mexican like I used to.

Star PD interesting...tell me more how was it? It's really too bad regular 1911 mags won't work most on GB have only 1 mag but there was one with lime 4 mags a year ago I considered bidding on. I found one company that still made recoil rod or something that's needed often something to that effect?

A decent amount of 185 respodants and I'd like to know why?
    Are some of the loads lower perceived recoil? Or believe they will expand more reliably or at least from shorter barrels? Or is it lowering already heavy Weight by just a bit?

Have a good supply of them.
    HST 230 grain
    Gold Dot 230 grain
    Gold Dot G2 45 Auto +P 230 Grain
    Ranger T 230 grains = Range trip yesterday fired 137 rounds with my Sig Legion 220
    Hornaday 45 Auto +P 220 g
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 03-08-2024 at 02:37 AM.

Either 255gr swc or 230gr hst +p
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

User Tag List