View Poll Results: What's in your AARP Mag?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. They All Fall to Hardball; Two World Wars; 230 gr FMJ

9 11.84%
  • 2. Some kind of handload, possibly SWC or other

1 1.32%
  • 3. 230 Gr WWB JHP

1 1.32%
  • 4. 230 Gr Hydrashok, because I'm SuPPosta!

2 2.63%
  • 5. 230 Gr Winchester xname JHP (Ranger T, Bonded, PDX1, SXT, Black Talons of Scary Razor sharp death etc. etc.)

9 11.84%
  • 6. 230 Gr Gold Dot

17 22.37%
  • 7. 230 Gr HST

40 52.63%
  • 8. 220+p Critical Duty

2 2.63%
  • 9. XTP's of any grain

1 1.32%
  • 10. 185 gr JHP of any type (Critical Defense, Golden Saber, 2 different types of Sierra JHP all look to perform well even from shorter barrels)

8 10.53%
  • 11. Any other grain JHP 165, 200 etc.

1 1.32%
  • 12. Some kind of screwdriver, fragmenting, or other "Gimmicky" type of bullet design

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your .45 AARP Carry Ammo?

230 HST, easy and relatively inexpensive to get 50 round boxes. Recoil is also relatively light compared to the +p version and it works in all my 1911s.

Like almost everyone else:

230gr HST.

___

But also sometimes hardball if the gun is picky...they do all fall to hardball.

185 HP. Bill Wilson made an argument for lightening the weight of the ammo column in shorter guns. He argued that a lighter ammo stack made it easier for the mag to get the next round in place before the slide strips it, in faster cycling guns. It made sense to me, so I just converted the defensive ammo for all the 1911's to the 185.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    185 HP. Bill Wilson made an argument for lightening the weight of the ammo column in shorter guns. He argued that a lighter ammo stack made it easier for the mag to get the next round in place before the slide strips it, in faster cycling guns. It made sense to me, so I just converted the defensive ammo for all the 1911's to the 185.
    Ok thanks that's interesting I'd true about slide velocity but maybe 185s are running the slide faster too?

Commander is shortest so far for me but if I had a 3.5" or something like that I'd probably go 185 anyway for jhp full expansion. 3.75" up HST

[QUOTE=BN;1560297

I would probably drag out my old Star PD and carry it Mexican like I used to.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Star PD interesting...tell me more how was it?
    I had won a case of Cor-Bon 200 grain hollow points at a match and that's what I carried in my Star PD. Those were the famous "Flying Ashtray". My Star fed everything I ran through it. It slung the brass from those Cor-Bons about 30 feet. No Glock dribble with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Ok thanks that's interesting I'd true about slide velocity but maybe 185s are running the slide faster too?

Commander is shortest so far for me but if I had a 3.5" or something like that I'd probably go 185 anyway for jhp full expansion. 3.75" up HST
    185's shoot soft, so I don't know how that relates to slide speed. I didn't want to maintain two different SD ammo for 1911's, which I have quite a few, so I transitioned everything to 185.

I have all three weights in the GD line,as well as most of the other rounds mentioned. The only.45 I would and have carried recently is my G30 and it is loaded with GD 200 gr +p simply because that’s what was on the shelf when I loaded the gun and magazines up. I gave up worrying about what ammo was in the gun regardless of caliber along time ago. I know how to shoot and where to put them. Just saying.

Site Supporter
    230gr HST or hardball.

A standard pressure LSWC round would be tempting.

.45 ACP +P 230 gr. HST in my magazine when i'm carrying a HK45C, thank you.

It's amazing how many formerly youthful celebrities who used to be too young to appear on the cover of "AARP The Magazine" are now finding their way to the AARP cover in the autum/winter of life.

In the remote past King Solomon said; "To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven."
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

Site Supporter
    Thread drift, latest AARP magazine had suggestions for safety at home. Have a ball bat or OC for a weapon for invaders - but don't explore, call the law. Decent advice for the non gun folks. They are antigun though. I do have a nice supply of OC, impact weapons, edged weapons available but obviously they are just side effects of my interests. I even have two nice sturdy vampire stakes I whittled from oak branches from a cut tree - for fun. However, they would be evil to be impaled with for living or dead.

AARP does have useful geezer info, so their gun hatred is tolerable.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List