Thread: Federal Hydra-Shok Deep .38SPL, thoughts?

Federal Hydra-Shok Deep .38SPL, thoughts?

What's the thoughts on this load? Found some local but wonder if its worth getting a couple boxes.
    “When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
    For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today.”

Testing looks good.. Federal has done a fine job in general with this line.

Recoil is mild in an Airweight J. (130 @ 830 fps, compared with 135 @ 870 with Gold Dot, for example.)

Site Supporter
    Looking at the gel tests that Federal did, it looks really good on both expansion and penetration from both snubby and 4" barrels. I got a couple of boxes and it went 858 fps from my 2" Detective Special, 862 fps from my 1-7/8" M49, and 898 fps from my 3" M10. I didn't try it from a 4". I wish we could get some correctly-done independent gel tests for comparison.

Right now I have enough Ranger Bonded 130-grain JHPs and Golden Sabre to keep me for a while. When that runs out, I'll definitely be interested in getting some more of the HS Deep.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

I've only tested it in Clear Ballistics gel so far, but it expanded reliably and penetrated 12-13" through 4 layers of denim. Mild recoil in my J frame and POI/POA was good at 7 yards. I was pleased enough to switch to it for ccw.

It didn’t quite go well enough to sites on my 2” LCR but I can attest that, from a 3” LCRx, it’ll go right through a porcupine at about 20yds.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Mike Wood at Revolver Guy did a very thorough review on this a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    It didn’t quite go well enough to sites on my 2” LCR but I can attest that, from a 3” LCRx, it’ll go right through a porcupine at about 20yds.
    Was that Clear Porcupine or properly calibrated Porcupine?

Sorry for the BS question but I couldn't resist.

Carry on.

Gringop

PS: I'm such a luddite I'm carrying original 129gr +P HS in my J-Frames.
    Name:  20240306_174943A.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  39.8 KB
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

It's my choice for a lot of reasons given in the .38 carry load thread.

Very curious, do any of you have any 147+p+ HS still?

As in, would you be willing to sell 6-20 rounds let's say or do some kind of ammo swap?

Quote Originally Posted by gringop View Post
    Was that Clear Porcupine or properly calibrated Porcupine?

Sorry for the BS question but I couldn't resist.

Carry on.

Gringop

PS: I'm such a luddite I'm carrying original 129gr +P HS in my J-Frames.
    Name:  20240306_174943A.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  39.8 KB
    I like to think the appropriate planets were in retrograde and my chakras were fine as the little guy ceased any further activity. A Clear Porcupine (TM) would have most likely turned around and force-fed me the projectile.

That HS load shoots near-perfect in my 442. I’ve become pretty ammo agnostic/pragmatic in the past few years but the Deep, that HS loading, and a handful of others are instant buys if I come across a box.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List