Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: G19 sized options

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    Impact Machine also mills the p2000's and for a reasonable price. He is the son of Cajun Gun Works and i haven't heard anything negative yet but have no personal experience.

https://impactcncmachine.com/hk-p2000sk/
    I had a couple 1911 slides done by them and ran into some long (or longer than previously indicated) wait times, but it was literally at the same time as they were clearly hiring more staff and trying to buy new machines to deal with increased volume. I can totally get growing pains and I think they've successfully worked through this last phase of them. When I had a problem getting correct spare screws, Scott was extremely responsive and helpful. He'd initially told me the wrong screw dimensions and once he realized it he even offered to pay me to reimburse what I'd spent buying the wrong ones. If I recall correctly I had him responding to my emails in 20 minute intervals on a Saturday.

I'm very happy with the work on my guns and would probably only consider Impact if I was getting HKs milled (cheaper and shorter wait time than Wright, more finish options than Langdon, including DLC).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    For me, Glock with an SCD between the drop shelf under the trigger bar and then the SCD is a very secure system compared to basically any other striker gun. I love DA/SA in theory and have spent a combined 3+ years with 92s and PX4s, but FOR ME, DA/SA just took more work and upkeep to maintain skills. Some months I'm dry firing 3+ times a week and shooting a match, other months I'm busy with kids and work and school and only get (make time to) to dry fire a few times in a month, and staying proficient with a Glock is just a lot easier for me personally. There are plenty of other people for whom DA/SA is even less of a factor.

I also found myself very tempted to NOT decock the Berettas coming off target in a competition environment. That was another reason I decided to go LEM or back to Glock SCD, as both systems "auto reset" as you come off the trigger.

LEM is certainly a slightly larger margin of safety than Glock/SCD, but for me, Glock is simply much cheaper and simpler, optics ready, and safe enough. I really love the simplicity of the Glocks from an engineering perspective, and I shoot them as well or better than anything else with the flat sides and rolling trigger.

I went through a similar process and came to the same conclusion. Also, the years of shooting Glocks was just a lot of training to throw out the window to make a transition at this point in my life. My range time is very rare and ammunition is much more expensive than it used to be. Sticking with the Glocks, even though they aren’t perfect, was the way for me to go. Also all the support gear like holsters, and all that was just too much to replicate for a new platform.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    I love and hate glocks. I really wanted to try the glock 49 but I've been down the road glock too many times. I just never felt comfortable with even the Gadget, 100% mental on my end
    I was going to suggest the glock with the gadget until you mentioned the 5 young kids. Sounds like you need something with a thumb safety.

Quote Originally Posted by pi3 View Post
    I was going to suggest the glock with the gadget until you mentioned the 5 young kids. Sounds like you need something with a thumb safety.
    Respectfully I disagree. I have three young kids. Them getting ahold of a gun unsupervised is unacceptable to me regardless of weapon features. My guns are either locked in safes now or in a holster on my belt. No exceptions.

This is one of those things that’s a software issue, not hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Standard non-ported Macro has a 3.7" barrel. Is 0.3" that important?
    Rationally - probably not.

Emotionally - I spent 20+ years carrying a 45 ACP. The part of my brain that misses the 45 wants those little bullets to get as much of a start as possible.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Rationally - probably not.

Emotionally - I spent 20+ years carrying a 45 ACP. The part of my brain that misses the 45 wants those little bullets to get as much of a start as possible.
    You might be able to extrapolate what .3 would do, based on this that I posted back in January. I am guessing a 4.0 barrel would be worth about 25 fps over a 3.7.

YVK and I were discussing 365 barrels and velocity, and I agreed to use my new Garmin chrono to check velocities with 124 Lawman and 124+P Gold Dot. Here is what I got, at about 700 feet above sea level on a 60F day, for a three shot average with each load.

3.7 XL length barrel
    124 Lawman 1,105 fps
    124 Gold Dot (all Gold Dot was +P) 1,145 fps

3.1 OEM barrel
    124 Lawman 1,057 fps
    124 Gold Dot 1,079

PMM barrel and comp that is same overall length as an XL
    124 Lawman 1,055 fps
    124 Gold dot 1,104 fps
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Respectfully I disagree. I have three young kids. Them getting ahold of a gun unsupervised is unacceptable to me regardless of weapon features. My guns are either locked in safes now or in a holster on my belt. No exceptions.

This is one of those things that’s a software issue, not hardware.
    What he said. Guns are either locked or on my body. I sleep with a condition 3 ar 15 next to my bed when we go to sleep and our bedroom door is locked so children do not have access unless an adult is awake and opens the door.

Grab carbine, run charging handle, and move to a position of advantage between invader and children while wife moves with pistol to the kids. At least that's the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You might be able to extrapolate what .3 would do, based on this that I posted back in January. I am guessing a 4.0 barrel would be worth about 25 fps over a 3.7.
    My math from 3.7 to 4.0 suggest the +P would bump to 1238. Which is just shy of 100 FPS.

I checked the same predictions for what we know - 3.1 to 3.7 and the number is higher than the actual data for the 3.7 which suggests a point of quickly diminishing returns.

The data I can find on Speer Gold Dot +P out of a Glock 19 says 1220 fps or 75 fps above the 3.7.

Name:  velocity predition.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  47.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    My math from 3.7 to 4.0 suggest the +P would bump to 1238. Which is just shy of 100 FPS.

I checked the same predictions for what we know - 3.1 to 3.7 and the number is higher than the actual data for the 3.7 which suggests a point of quickly diminishing returns.

The data I can find on Speer Gold Dot +P out of a Glock 19 says 1220 fps or 75 fps above the 3.7.

Name:  velocity predition.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  47.8 KB
    Since I got 66 fps for a .6 increase in barrel length out of Sig 365 barrels on my Garmin chronograph, I am not following?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Since I got 66 fps for a .6 increase in barrel length out of Sig 365 barrels on my Garmin chronograph, I am not following?
    I just did the straight extrapolate from the data we have and then checked it against data we already had. I'm sure the relationship between barrel length and velocity isn't perfectly linear so it's not perfect.

User Tag List