Thread: Shotgun Capacity Restrictions?

Shotgun Capacity Restrictions?

Over in the A300 thread @Ben_G listed out the states where some pretty low magazine restrictions are law in a surprising number of states (for autoloaders). I was aware that this issue was a thing, but I was surprised by a couple, and learning occurred.

My remaining question is are there any similar restrictions on pump guns (perhaps Ben can comment here)? I always figured a pump gun would be legal most anywhere it would be legal for me to possess a gun, perhaps I am ignorant...

Generally speaking this is why you should always check local laws if you're traveling with firearms. Weird laws do crop up in sometimes unexpected places, they're almost constantly in flux, and they vary pretty wildly across the country.

It's not a shotgun, but a good example is how NJ considers airsoft guns firearms. Mix that with their strict capacity laws and a pissed off prosecutor and someone can certainly end up in a new record setting draconian bind.
    Product Manager: ProShop, Collaborations and Special Projects
    Former R&D designer
    Beretta USA

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_G View Post
    It's not a shotgun, but a good example is how NJ considers airsoft guns firearms. Mix that with their strict capacity laws and a pissed off prosecutor and someone can certainly end up in a new record setting draconian bind.
    One rule about NJ if you don't live there and are planning on making it your destination is don't bring a gun there unless you want to play some pretty hefty Russian Roulette (you actually have to apply for an out of state carry permit there in person because they have zero reciprocity for other states permits LOL) - place is a wasteland and as anti-gun as they come from the people I know up there

Site Supporter
    I would not bring a long gun into NJ without a NJ firearms purchaser ID card, even if the configuration is otherwise legal there. The rules tor these have tightened over the years. Many years ago they were issued with no expiration date and remained valid when you moved out of state. Neither is currently the case.

What I found every time I considered a 50 state legal traveling gun in is that if I do not hold a concealed handgun license which is recognized by that state, any workaround has both legal and practical problems. Such states often have permit requirements which cause headaches for nonresidents. I often travel with family including a special needs son, so securing guns is an issue. Any solution that meets both the legal and practical requirements leaves the gun inaccessible if I need it.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 03-08-2024 at 07:41 PM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List