Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: SIG Intros 1911X Pistols

Sage Dynamics initial impression is up, first 200. He seems to like it so far.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Sage Dynamics initial impression is up, first 200. He seems to like it so far.
    I watched it too. I didn't catch what he's using for mags. Did he say?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I watched it too. I didn't catch what he's using for mags. Did he say?

He said that he was using the mags that came with the gun that he thought were Metalform as well as some Wilson Combat, Checkmate, etc.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

What's in the box?

Name:  IMG_5475.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  21.9 KB
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 04-12-2024 at 09:50 PM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Here are a couple of generic photos. I'll take more as time allows. I have some errands to run today and then am out of town a few days after. I don't know when I'll be able to shoot this thing.

The gun ships with two eight round MEC-GAR mags. The couple Wilson and Chip mags I've tried fit in fine and activate the slide catch. I hope they'll all feed.

The gun seems decent in terms of fit but is definitely production quality. The trigger has some side to side and up and down play. The grip safety is blended well. The slide to frame fit is maybe a little above average for a rack grade. The trigger is about 5.25 pounds with a tiny glitch right after the initial take up. The gun is Series 80 and does not have a ramped barrel. Recoil parts are plug and short guide style with a .25" diameter guide and flat recoil spring. I'd guess spring weight to be sixteen pounds.

The gun is full of MIM. I have not had it all the way apart, but the hammer, thumb safety, and slide stop are MIM from what I can see. I'm pretty confident in saying the sear and disco will also be MIM. I'd guess SIG would even MIM the barrel link and bushing if they could make it work.

Overall, it is a new and somewhat different take on a 1911 for the 21st century.

Front and rear do appear to be SIG dovetails. Note the 8 and 6 sight heights. A good idea in the current market. Trijicon, VTAC, etc. sights should work without concern for someone's interpretation of Novak cuts.

General pics of some of the machining details.

Note the dimple in the hammer just above the area where the hammer pin goes through. I've seen similar marks on MIM parts from other companies.

Last edited by Tokarev; 04-13-2024 at 11:48 AM.

I got an EPS mounted. Being that the slide has ZEV style posts, I had to find different screws. The ones I could find (M3, I think they are) are a little short. The next length the shop had bottomed out before the optic was tight. Hopefully, these slightly short ones will work okay.

One thing of note is the gap underneath the optic. It seems to fit okay fore and aft but I wish it sat better on the slide.

The pic makes it look like either the optic is warped or the cut is angled. With the naked eye the gap is parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I got an EPS mounted. Being that the slide has ZEV style posts, I had to find different screws. The ones I could find (M3, I think they are) are a little short. The next length the shop had bottomed out before the optic was tight. Hopefully, these slightly short ones will work okay.

One thing of note is the gap underneath the optic. It seems to fit okay fore and aft but I wish it sat better on the slide.

The pic makes it look like either the optic is warped or the cut is angled. With the naked eye the gap is parallel.

Interesting. I wonder if the factory supplied Romeo-X Compact has the same fitment issue.

Could it be related to the posts?
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post

Could it be related to the posts?
    I dry fit an EPS Carry as well. It also had a slight gap underneath. The Carry fits the width of the slide better, but I ended up using the EPS with its slightly bigger window.

I think if the posts were too long, they would just protrude more up into the holes in the optic and keep the screws from bottoming out. Maybe the posts aren't perfectly square at the bottom where they mate with the slide. That might be what the optic is actually bottoming out on.

We'll see what happens. I dabbed the screws with a little Vibra Tite when installing. I'm going to let the gun cure for an hour and then see if I can pop off a couple of clips.

Very interesting that they were able to maintain S80 compatibility with the optic cut. That’s not possible with aftermarket cuts, to my knowledge (at least every milling shop I’ve looked at either says they don’t work on drop safety guns or they require you to acknowledge you’re ditching the drop safety).

User Tag List