Thread: Solo 300 - a lightweight manually operated .300 BLK SBR

Solo 300 - a lightweight manually operated .300 BLK SBR

@jandbj started a thread about a ultralight manually cycled AR based 7.62x39 rifle he was building, and it got my wheels turning.

There was a guy I saw a few times back at my gun club in NH who had something similar in .300 BLK. He wasn’t very social, but if I remember correctly it was a right hand charger and had a 9” or so barrel, pistol configuration. It looked like a lot of fun.

I have an underutilized SBR - a 7.5” 5.56 with a lightweight Sabertube based stock on a LAW folder, my “ASBO” as a British friend calls it (Anti Social Behavior Order) because I can clear a range in five shots with it. Huuuge pumpkins of flame and flash-bang level concussion. It’s stupid, but stupid can be fun - and the amnesty turned it into a SBR. Why not make this lower multipurpose?

I picked up a Solo 300 upper and 9” .300 BLK barrel without handguard and added a 7.25” Kaw Valley CF tube. I don’t know what I’ll do for an optic yet, the idea is a vest pocket rifle to use at least occasionally with a suppressor.

Making an optic choice should be interesting since I don’t really have a well defined use case for this. It is a budget build, so nothing too crazy. I figure either a very lightweight 1-4x or so (preferably with illumination) or one of the PA 3x prisms. Any suggestions?

Name:  IMG_0056.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  67.1 KB

jandbj’s project that inspired mine: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....erated-7-62x39
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    I still have my solo 300 upper, and actually really enjoyed shooting it. I bought the 6" barrel he sells several years ago and did the same cut down BCA carrier in the 7.62x39 thread. It was a great project for reloads; I shot everything from 85 grain Hornady XTPs with trailboss (works very well with small varmints and is very quiet through even a short can like my omega 9k), full weight 200-220 grain subs, Barnes and Nosler 110 supers, coated and plated bullets, and just about everything else I could find to test. The 110 grain bullets kept a decent amount of velocity for a 6" barrel. It isn't something I shoot very often, but it is a lot of fun to take out and plink with.

One thing I need to do is find a rubber something to put in or on the charging handle - the stock interferes with it pretty hard.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    One thing I need to do is find a rubber something to put in or on the charging handle - the stock interferes with it pretty hard.
    Heat shrink tubing perhaps?

Bet if you lost the law folding mechanism, you’d be under 4lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Heat shrink tubing perhaps?

Bet if you lost the law folding mechanism, you’d be under 4lbs.
    I’m thinking more of a rubber stopper. I don’t want to reconfigure the lower, I’m not chasing ounces.
    Ken

User Tag List