Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Who needs Cartels, jihadis or Chinese sleeper cellss?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I was an assisting on a very similar incident roughly 10 years ago or so. It broke the lead detective. Great guy, over a decade of major felony crimes against persons experience, but it was his last case in the unit. Between the incident itself, the pressure from admin, media attention, dealing with survivors and family communication, being in the office almost non-stop for such a long stretch, it was just too much. He moved to a financial crimes unit until he retired.

The depravity of an individual is bad enough, a group going feral is even worse.
    I know you’re not looking for sympathy or anything. I just appreciate our LE.

Stuff like this is where I’m like “Man, they screwed up stuff in the old west for sure, but this is a hang them all in the town square kind of thing and don’t take 5-10 years for the trial and appeals”.

My heart breaks for the family of the victim and the LE that have to re-live, document the pieces, deal with the media, etc., etc.
    God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I know you’re not looking for sympathy or anything. I just appreciate our LE.

Stuff like this is where I’m like “Man, they screwed up stuff in the old west for sure, but this is a hang them all in the town square kind of thing and don’t take 5-10 years for the trial and appeals”.

My heart breaks for the family of the victim and the LE that have to re-live, document the pieces, deal with the media, etc., etc.
    That's something I think about a lot. Tough job.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    And...?
    Inspected this morning and turned a couple of shovels worth. They vacated, cannot say how many died but the mound is now empty.....OC has washed deeper into the soil from all the rain.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Inspected this morning and turned a couple of shovels worth. They vacated, cannot say how many died but the mound is now empty.....OC has washed deeper into the soil from all the rain.
    Fireants will generally move away when their mound is disturbed, which is why they're so hard to kill. Even then, the mound you see is just the outpost- the queen and the important bits are often surprisingly far away.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    "Manchild In the Promise Land" - gives great insight to the youth mind run amok when surrounded by violence and normalized to violence - in the 40s and 50s of Harlem.

That folks still struggle to connect that lack of opportunity, growth, and stability as being the primary causes AND that those causes are present in both rural and urban communities befuddles me. The correlations are sufficiently strong that the causes are effectively self-evident. This sort of violence is omni-present in humans, but intolerable in a civilized society - which means we either improve the conditions to make these needs filled or we start killing more people as "justice".

Importantly folks should recognize - you are correct even if everyone's needs were met acceptable - there would still be sociopathic animals who would want more. And therefore there is no Utopia - you will still need a criminal justice system and to occasionally trot people out to the gallows for a short drop and a sudden stop. The part I'm babbling on about is doing things to reduce the number of offenders in scenarios like this from 8 to 1.
    Does parental and personal accountability come into play?
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That's something I think about a lot. Tough job.
    I could not do it, and I admire those who can, and yet manage to maintain some semblance of grace.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    One would think so but the people having these kids are products of the social collapse of their economic/ethnic/racial cohort. To expect them become Ward and June Cleaver when you yell at them, isn't going to happen.

Did some volunteer work with young girls who became pregnant and thrown out of middle and high school. The idea was to aid in them learning the math requirements. They became 'parents'. The increase in single parent, young mother homes due to the lack of good jobs for males is well known across the world, not just here. Add racial discrimination for the available jobs as happened for many years and it's a toxic mix.

Biden had it correct, when he mentioned that kids in those homes hear a million less words, not read to etc. in their early development. Starting with studies on visual and language deprivation we know that this interferes with experience expectant growth of cortical neural structures. This is hard to correct later in life and maybe impossible. Language skills, cognitive skills, social controls of aggression, etc. are forming and are disrupted.

Thus, parental responsibility is great and perhaps we can teach it to kids approaching middle school and high school to break the cycle but the cliche doesn't help much.

Now in some cases, it does. The parents, of seeming 'normal' family structure, who buy obviously disturbed kids guns and that goes south - yep, put them in jail as a deterrent to others. But those are rarer cases in the rampages.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    Yes, but lack of personal accountability and bad parents are both products of the root issues that @RevolverRob is talking about. With the root issues present, we'll continue with the trend of bad kids becoming bad parents.

Even if we were to fix the root issues overnight, it would still take several generations for the family issues to improve.

This isn't an excuse to bad behavior in society....it's simply an acknowledgement to the "why". It's no secret that kids who grow up in awful conditions but have some sort of positive support network which sets the right conditions that Rob is referring to (such as an afterschool program, JROTC, boy scouts, church, whatever) tend to come out ahead compared to kids that don't have that support network. That support network teaches them personal accountability, and they usually go on to become productive citizens and good parents.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Yes, but lack of personal accountability and bad parents are both products of the root issues that @RevolverRob is talking about. With the root issues present, we'll continue with the trend of bad kids becoming bad parents.

Even if we were to fix the root issues overnight, it would still take several generations for the family issues to improve.

This isn't an excuse to bad behavior in society....it's simply an acknowledgement to the "why". It's no secret that kids who grow up in awful conditions but have some sort of positive support network which sets the right conditions that Rob is referring to (such as an afterschool program, JROTC, boy scouts, church, whatever) tend to come out ahead compared to kids that don't have that support network. That support network teaches them personal accountability, and they usually go on to become productive citizens and good parents.
    Agreed..

That's why we need to get government out of the business of administering charity in the misguided claim of social welfare.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List