Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How processed is your food

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    When Mum visited me in Australia over Christmas, she noted that the restaurant food was somehow better than what she got at American restaurants. Note that she's a pretty hardcore foodie and grew up in the restaurant business.

I noted that Oz restaurants didn't get their stuff from Sysco.
    You should try the food in Peru. It was consistently the best food Ive had anywhere. I think its because the supply chain is so short. Open air markets and buy what you need for the day.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    My wife uses almond milk because she cant tolerate kroger/meijer milk. Where do you get non holstein milk?
    "The A2 Milk Company" is carried in lots of grocery stores. It's a red cardboard half-gallon container. If you have a Costco near you, they sell it by the case.

Being an indian diet household, we not only drink lots of chai but also make our own yogurt from it...so we go through the stuff at a prodigious rate since our laws generally prevent us from having a cow in the backyard like where my girlfriend lived prior to the US.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    IDK where you live but if you have farms that sell milk or ethnic supermarkets. I get raw A2-A2 and raw goats milk that way.
    Im in KY. I can get beef or sheep. Maybe goat Im not sure. Ive never heard of milk being available anywhere. I do know of one milk producer thats puts I think its iodine in their milk because apparently all milk has some sort of bacteria in it and you cant sell it. He told me everybody does it.

You should try the food in Peru. It was consistently the best food Ive had anywhere. I think its because the supply chain is so short. Open air markets and buy what you need for the day.
    I've not been there, but I have stayed a couple of weeks in Brazil. Most of the food was great, especially the one churrascaria we went to. Other meals were interesting- we had one serving of takeaway beans, rice, & beef where the beef was more like rawhide. It was mostly good though. I still don't know how I was able to sleep with all the coffee & guarana soda I drank.

Then there's PNG. No meal at a restaurant is the same twice, and one would think that the massive amounts of MSG would keep the food poisoning away.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    "The A2 Milk Company" is carried in lots of grocery stores. It's a red cardboard half-gallon container. If you have a Costco near you, they sell it by the case.

Being an indian diet household, we not only drink lots of chai but also make our own yogurt from it...so we go through the stuff at a prodigious rate since our laws generally prevent us from having a cow in the backyard like where my girlfriend lived prior to the US.
    Thanks Im going to Costco sometime this week. Ill pick up a container and see if it works. Homemade yogurt sounds interesting Ive heard its really good. I usually get Okios. Wife puts it in pancakes too with blueberries. Awesome stuff.
    That Gf sounds like a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I've not been there, but I have stayed a couple of weeks in Brazil. Most of the food was great, especially the one churrascaria we went to. Other meals were interesting- we had one serving of takeaway beans, rice, & beef where the beef was more like rawhide. It was mostly good though. I still don't know how I was able to sleep with all the coffee & guarana soda I drank.

Then there's PNG. No meal at a restaurant is the same twice, and one would think that the massive amounts of MSG would keep the food poisoning away.
    The worst food is the Philippines. The only thing Ive ever had there that was good was a beef soup with shank. The filipino who sees me at stretch zone tells me he makes great food but Im dubious.

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    The wife and I are also looking hard at our food. In fact, we have a fencing company coming over today to give a quote on fencing in an 1.5 of our acres so we can look at producing some of our own meat (right now I am leaning towards sheep/lamb).
    I’ve thought about doing the same with chickens.

My wife started getting meat from Good Chop. We get the grass fed beef and their chicken breasts. I don’t know if it’s perfect or not but it’s been much better than what I’ve gotten from grocery stores.

I feed the kids venison that I’ve killed as much as possible.

Im in KY. I can get beef or sheep. Maybe goat Im not sure. Ive never heard of milk being available anywhere. I do know of one milk producer thats puts I think its iodine in their milk because apparently all milk has some sort of bacteria in it and you cant sell it. He told me everybody does it.
    Honestly no idea on iodine aside from the fact that milk naturally has some iodine. I know its true that milk can have bacteria but not to what extent. Usually its a problem with weak immune systems. I was always told you dont want to give it to little kids or very old and sick. Also im not sure if it has to do with the milk itself or the chances of it getting contaminated. I think its kinda like eating raw eggs or raw oysters. Either way, Ive been drinking it for decades. My parents drink it and they're in their late 60s. Also, I buy some for butter. Let it sit out for week or so. The cream rises, scoop that off and make butter (pretty good 20 min exercise). The leftover liquid from the butter (not much, maybe a cup) is a little sour but tasty. Supposedly mostly whey. The rest of the contents are made into farmers cheese.

Since this is about crap in food I guess Ill just say how I shop/eat. I make everything myself as much as possible. Everything else I try to buy as clean as possible. Always read the labels. I was brought up that way. Its how my mom shopped and cooked. No sodas, no chips, no cookies as daily food. Occasionally sometimes we were allowed. She cooked everything herself, including making juice. 3 course dinner...soup, veggies, meat, occasionally some small treat. As a general rule nothing with sugar, high fructose corn syrup, nothing with unpronounceable names.. So thats how I shop and eat. Whole meat, fish, vegetables and fruit. Im not a big fan of carbs but thats it. Very few canned items and almost nothing packaged. Ill even make my own ground meat as opposed to buying it.

The worst food is the Philippines. The only thing Ive ever had there that was good was a beef soup with shank. The filipino who sees me at stretch zone tells me he makes great food but Im dubious.
    I've had some great Filipino food over the years. My cousin's second FIL was from there, and could cook up some great dishes.
    I'm also very partial to Filipino bread goods like Spanish bread or pan de coco.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    Honestly no idea on iodine aside from the fact that milk naturally has some iodine. I know its true that milk can have bacteria but not to what extent. Usually its a problem with weak immune systems. I was always told you dont want to give it to little kids or very old and sick. Also im not sure if it has to do with the milk itself or the chances of it getting contaminated. I think its kinda like eating raw eggs or raw oysters. Either way, Ive been drinking it for decades. My parents drink it and they're in their late 60s. Also, I buy some for butter. Let it sit out for week or so. The cream rises, scoop that off and make butter (pretty good 20 min exercise). The leftover liquid from the butter (not much, maybe a cup) is a little sour but tasty. Supposedly mostly whey. The rest of the contents are made into farmers cheese.

Since this is about crap in food I guess Ill just say how I shop/eat. I make everything myself as much as possible. Everything else I try to buy as clean as possible. Always read the labels. I was brought up that way. Its how my mom shopped and cooked. No sodas, no chips, no cookies as daily food. Occasionally sometimes we were allowed. She cooked everything herself, including making juice. 3 course dinner...soup, veggies, meat, occasionally some small treat. As a general rule nothing with sugar, high fructose corn syrup, nothing with unpronounceable names.. So thats how I shop and eat. Whole meat, fish, vegetables and fruit. Im not a big fan of carbs but thats it. Very few canned items and almost nothing packaged. Ill even make my own ground meat as opposed to buying it.
    Do you blanch your meat before you grind it? At Amazing ribs Meathead says that the safe way to have ground beef to cook with red still in the middle. I just buy the store ground from costco Ive never gotten sick from it. Proll get me killed in da streets one day.

User Tag List