Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How processed is your food

That is fascinating about the milk depending on the type of cow. I've always known about antibiotics and what animals are eating plays a factor but not the actual type or breed of animal. I was hunting in WY a few years ago and there was a dead cow that we kept going by that had clearly been there awhile and I asked a rancher why it was literally untouched. He told us because of the antibiotics in the animal most of the predators can smell it and they won't touch it. That was a light bulb moment. The wife and I have upped our game to organic milk, eggs, meats, etc. as much as possible.

100% agree about a lot of the food overseas being so much better than the US. It's all fresh with nothing bad in it. I've heard that is very true of Italy and Peru but my personal experience that made the biggest impact was Chile. Everything I tried on multiple trips was phenomenal.

It's not all bad with our food situation. Remember that our technological advances in food production and distribution are unrivaled, and if the US were to reverse these advances we would no longer be the exporter we are. Without US food exports, a reasonable estimate of about 800 million deaths worldwide would occur before other countries would be able to pick up the slack...probably moreso given the war in Ukraine and the impact that has on the Ukrainian agricultural industry (we are exporting even more food than in previous years to make up for Russia shutting off one of the worlds top grain exporters).

We are at a point where our technological advances in food are kind of necessary to sustain the human population.

ETA: additionally, I take issue with the notion that overseas=nothing bad in the food. There's plenty of bad shit sold in food overseas, much more unscrupulous shit than you'll see here; heavy metals, unsafe levels of pesticides not designed for human consumption, petroleum, etc. Not only is starvation an issue in some parts of the globe, but people routinely dying from uncontrollable food borne illness is just a part of life in a good chunk of the world as well.
    Last edited by TGS; 03-05-2024 at 06:25 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    My wife uses almond milk because she cant tolerate kroger/meijer milk. Where do you get non holstein milk?
    Believe it or not, Costco carries certified organic A2 milk under their KS brand. It’s about .50 cents more for a 1.5 gallon box than the regular organic stuff.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Do you blanch your meat before you grind it? At Amazing ribs Meathead says that the safe way to have ground beef to cook with red still in the middle. I just buy the store ground from costco Ive never gotten sick from it. Proll get me killed in da streets one day.
    No. Whats the difference what the physical shape of the meat is? If i took sirloin and cooked it as a steak ...rare to mid-rare vs grounding it and cooking that way? To be perfectly honest I almost never use ground meat. I typically dont eat those type of dishes. This week I decided to make chili and had 5lbs of bottom round so that went into the grinder

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    It's not all bad with our food situation. Remember that our technological advances in food production and distribution are unrivaled, and if the US were to reverse these advances we would no longer be the exporter we are. Without US food exports, a reasonable estimate of about 800 million deaths worldwide would occur before other countries would be able to pick up the slack...probably moreso given the war in Ukraine and the impact that has on the Ukrainian agricultural industry (we are exporting even more food than in previous years to make up for Russia shutting off one of the worlds top grain exporters).

We are at a point where our technological advances in food are kind of necessary to sustain the human population.

ETA: additionally, I take issue with the notion that overseas=nothing bad in the food. There's plenty of bad shit sold in food overseas, much more unscrupulous shit than you'll see here; heavy metals, unsafe levels of pesticides not designed for human consumption, petroleum, etc. Not only is starvation an issue in some parts of the globe, but people routinely dying from uncontrollable food borne illness is just a part of life in a good chunk of the world as well.
    I think "overseas" is meant as EU or "western"

Also I think the advances have a way of never knowing when to stop. We're so advanced we make food out of inedible ingredients and some of it also has petroleum. Colorings, additives. TBHQ is a petroleum byproduct found in chips and varnish, lacquers, crackers and resin. Has side effects but considered safe by the FDA in low doses. However, FDA doesnt look at how much food its in or how much is consumed daily. Theres probably a dozen others. How about them burgers and fries that never go bad in room temp?!

Then there's PNG, where sanitation is not really a thing, food is basically kept until sold, the freezer, fridge, or heat table might not have power for long stretches, the reefer truck that delivered it may not have been working, a lot of food is the really cheap stuff outsourced from China, vermin abound, and I'm super surprised I've only had massive food poisoning twice.

The hotel restaurants tend to be a slightly better bet than the sort of roadside places Anthony Bourdain would have recommended. Ever notice he never did a show in PNG?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I think "overseas" is meant as EU or "western"

Also I think the advances have a way of never knowing when to stop. We're so advanced we make food out of inedible ingredients and some of it also has petroleum. Colorings, additives. TBHQ is a petroleum byproduct found in chips and varnish, lacquers, crackers and resin. Has side effects but considered safe by the FDA in low doses. However, FDA doesnt look at how much food its in or how much is consumed daily. Theres probably a dozen others. How about them burgers and fries that never go bad in room temp?!
    I'm unaware of any burgers that don't go bad at room temperature. All fast food burger meat will spoil just the same as any red meat. preservatives extend taste, texture, and color...they do not prevent spoilage.

A lot of this stuff, like Twinkies lasting for years, certain foods being one molecule away from plastics, or as you mentioned burgers not going bad at room temp, is fabricated hyperbole. I'm going to danger that the story about wild animals not eating a cow due to the antibiotics in it is a misrepresentation as well, since stray animals have no problem eating grocery store meat any other day of the week, and whatever the cow died from (like disease) from probably has more to do with wild animals not touching it more than anything. Not only that, but from growing up surrounded by farms, I've never known them to leave dead livestock to rot on their field.

Like @Le Français mentioned earlier,

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
    Last edited by TGS; 03-05-2024 at 08:14 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

No. Whats the difference what the physical shape of the meat is? If i took sirloin and cooked it as a steak ...rare to mid-rare vs grounding it and cooking that way? To be perfectly honest I almost never use ground meat. I typically dont eat those type of dishes. This week I decided to make chili and had 5lbs of bottom round so that went into the grinder
    Because the bacteria on the outside.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...urger-secrets/
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Site Supporter
    Because the bacteria on the outside.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...urger-secrets/
    These guys trim the outer layer of beef to remove the bacteria, but same idea.

im strong, i can run faster than train

My wife uses almond milk because she cant tolerate kroger/meijer milk. Where do you get non holstein milk?
    IDK where you live but if you have farms that sell milk or ethnic supermarkets. I get raw A2-A2 and raw goats milk that way.
    Braum's, a dairy store chain located in Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, Missouri, and Arkansas. has their own cows and dairies. They sell A2 Milk.

https://www.braums.com/a2-milk/
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

User Tag List