Thread: Ultrasonic cleaning BCG

Site Supporter

Ultrasonic cleaning BCG

I plan to use my new ultrasonic cleaner (Christmas present) to clean a Geissele coated BCG.
    I plan to detail-strip the bolt to remove the rubber extractor o-ring.
    I also plan to put the pieces in a ziplock back with a mix of Hornady ultrasonic gun cleaner (properly diluted), to avoid having to have the tank contaminated with the residue and for simplicity in keeping track of the parts.

Should I immerse the ziplock in water in the ultrasonic tank, as well?
    Any other tips, or thoughts?

Years ago I messed around with a Hornady Lock-n-Load 2L and concluded a couple things. The areas it cleans well were already easy to clean by hand: Pistol barrels, outside of bolt carriers, etc. Tight, heavily-impacted, or areas with lots of nooks and crannies (inside of bolt carrier, firing pin channel, ejector pin, etc) didn't get clean. And I got paranoid about those crannies retaining water. These days I care much less about parts getting sparkling clean though, so I may have been overthinking it.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I plan to use my new ultrasonic cleaner (Christmas present) to clean a Geissele coated BCG.
    I also plan to put the pieces in a ziplock back with a mix of Hornady ultrasonic gun cleaner (properly diluted), to avoid having to have the tank contaminated with the residue and for simplicity in keeping track of the parts.

I am not that hip on what's the latest & greatest but that's one of my easiest to clean, ever, BCGs. Like why am I even doing this? Paper towel clean. Don't know the condition of your carrier, but that coating is magic

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by J0hnny View Post
    I am not that hip on what's the latest & greatest but that's one of my easiest to clean, ever, BCGs. Like why am I even doing this? Paper towel clean. Don't know the condition of your carrier, but that coating is magic
    Yeah, the carrier will probably be pretty easy to wipe down, but the bolt’s got some carbon building up, so I figured I’d do it all together.
    I’ve been impressed with the coating, too. I hope it lasts awhile.

I haven’t done gun cleaning in an ultrasonic, but I’ve done other hobby cleaning that way for years. The ziplock bag trick really does work, but be sure there is water in the tank to communicate the good vibes to the baggie.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I just wipe out my stainless tank with some cleaning fluid and a rag, you don't need the ziplock.
    #RESIST

Yeah, the carrier will probably be pretty easy to wipe down, but the bolt’s got some carbon building up, so I figured I’d do it all together.
    I’ve been impressed with the coating, too. I hope it lasts awhile.
    Is it an enhanced G bolt? That also literally wipes off. But I'm all for using new tools too

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by J0hnny View Post
    Is it an enhanced G bolt? That also literally wipes off. But I'm all for using new tools too
    Well - you were right.
    The Geissele BCG literally wiped clean with a paper towel. I used a little solvent on a patch on the narrowest inside areas.
    The bold also essentially wiped clean - what looked like carbon buildup mostly wiped off.
    This is after roughly 700 rds (mostly Wolf), with 400 of them suppressed since the last cleaning.

With those Geissele coatings, the BCG and bolt took less time than pretty much any other component.

I’m still glad to have the ultrasonic cleaner, but I’ll have to find other uses for it…. Maybe the SF suppressor after I’ve got several thousand rounds through it.

User Tag List