Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Pods like moving service

Looking for a Pods like moving service

From Virginia to Wyoming. Pods isn’t available in my destination. I'll need to store it on my property for some time until we move.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    From Virginia to Wyoming. Pods isn’t available in my destination.
    We've had good luck with ABF though it's a walled off semi trailer and not pods:

https://www.upack.com/about-upack/abf

Last move though the only available option (that didn't endpoint 80 miles away) were the U-Haul pods. They were inconveniently sized and pricy but worked. Figure they have to be the lowest common denominator for likely being available where nothing else is.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

I'll second ABF. We have used them a few times.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    We've had good luck with ABF though it's a walled off semi trailer and not pods:

Last move though the only available option (that didn't endpoint 80 miles away) were the U-Haul pods. They were inconveniently sized and pricy but worked. Figure they have to be the lowest common denominator for likely being available where nothing else is.
    What Half Moon said.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post

I looked at the U-boxes and hate them. I’d rather a standard Pod.
    #RESIST

Have you looked at U-Box from U-Haul?

Sorry PODS isn't available for you. I used them for my last move, and it was great.

EDIT: Sorry I should have read all the way through. Sorry those won't work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I looked at the U-boxes and hate them. I’d rather a standard Pod.
    I just moved some furniture from one coast to the other with a U-box and it was mostly fine. $1900 for one box coast to coast; it's a big plywood box with a vinyl covering to keep the rain out. 24 moving blankets included. They tell you to fold them back up when you're done or they'll charge you $25. You put your own lock on it. Delivered on time via forklift to my driveway. Arrived two weeks later to my other driveway, two days later than promised, for which I got a credit of $50/day = $100.

The only weird part was I had to contract with a local mover to deliver the box. When booking the reservation online U-haul gave me a choice of three movers, I selected one, and he texted me almost immediately. We exchanged a lot of text messages the day before the delivery: him wanting me to confirm the location and time of the pickup (he said they sometimes tell him the wrong info) and then when the cross-country truck was delayed, a whole lot more texts trying to organize things with the dropoff guy and also with customer service to see about the credit for "guaranteed delivery."

Day of delivery he arrives with a pickup truck and the box on a small U-haul trailer. Unload was quick and easy, and the moving guy was obviously a one-man operation, but he was nice enough.

I'd give it four stars.

LittleLebowski- curious what you didn't like about the U-box?

We did Packrat from WA to NY a little over a year ago. I'm 50/50 on if I'd use them again. Boxes were well constructed, but getting the damn things delivered and picked up and delivered was a pain in the ass (not delivering them on schedule). They weren't cheap either at ~6k/container.

We did UBoxes from IL to WA the year before that. They also were not cheap, but in the ~18-months between moves, the UBox price nigh doubled. For awhile UHaul had metal uboxes that look like their cargo trailers. They're much better, but not common. The plywood things did fine for Chicago to Seattle.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapatio View Post
    I just moved some furniture from one coast to the other with a U-box and it was mostly fine. $1900 for one box coast to coast; it's a big plywood box with a vinyl covering to keep the rain out. 24 moving blankets included. They tell you to fold them back up when you're done or they'll charge you $25. You put your own lock on it. Delivered on time via forklift to my driveway. Arrived two weeks later to my other driveway, two days later than promised, for which I got a credit of $50/day = $100.

The only weird part was I had to contract with a local mover to deliver the box. When booking the reservation online U-haul gave me a choice of three movers, I selected one, and he texted me almost immediately. We exchanged a lot of text messages the day before the delivery: him wanting me to confirm the location and time of the pickup (he said they sometimes tell him the wrong info) and then when the cross-country truck was delayed, a whole lot more texts trying to organize things with the dropoff guy and also with customer service to see about the credit for "guaranteed delivery."

Day of delivery he arrives with a pickup truck and the box on a small U-haul trailer. Unload was quick and easy, and the moving guy was obviously a one-man operation, but he was nice enough.

I'd give it four stars.

U boxes are f’ing small, is one issue. Forget taking even a normal sized couch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapatio View Post

Lack of security and size.
    #RESIST

User Tag List