Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do we like for a solvent?

Eezox. I've been using it for almost 20 years after the smartest shooter I've ever met (no shit) put me onto it.

Quote Originally Posted by KevH View Post
    I've used M-Pro 7 for the past 15 years as a cleaning solvent. It doesn't stink and works well.
    Same here. This is what I recommend.

I too have used Breakfree and Ballistol. I like both, and have not been disappointed with their performance.

A few years a go I tried out Breakthrough Clean products and really appreciate how well it cleans without odor. I typically use their grease on slide rails and barrel lugs/cross pins. Then a light coating of oil on the rest of the barrel and slide, wiping off any excess.

MPro 7 or Bore Tech Carbon Remover. I have a slight preference for Bore Tech but MPro does a good job as well.

For a cleaner, I prefer Mil-Comm MC25, which is water-based and effective, with no offensive odor;

For a general gun oil lubricant, I prefer Lucas Extreme Duty gun oil;

For a grease, I prefer both Mil-Comm TW25B and Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2 grease.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

I have come to find Ballistol favorable over Breakfree CLP given the non toxic attributes of Ballistol. The smell kind of grows on you like Hoppes.

Site Supporter
    I don't mess too much with it anymore, I sort of only clean my semi's when I get super bored and only give my wheelies a quick brush down after the range.

I tend towards ultrasonic when I don't have to worry about aluminum or electronics, because it's easy and effective. And I can do other stuff while the gun/silencer gets cleaned. I chuck them into a dehydrator overnight, and then oil the next day to make sure there's no water remaining. A little splash of Slip 725 makes me feel a little better than straight water.

Slip 725 is what I use for a dedicated cleaner if I'm messing with the breech or firing pin/striker. It lasts a long time in the quantities I use, because I honestly don't touch that too often, outside of a dry brush.

For literally everything else, it's Slip 2000 EWL, and call it good. Works well, and I don't have to worry about water in the system, so to speak.

Timely thread. I *finally* used up the big glass bottle of Hoppes 9 that I bought in the early 90s.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

CLP's. I've like all the one's I've tried. Unless I'm trying to get something to stick on the gun, like sight paint, I don't want to degrease my guns. The more you use CLP's, the easier it gets to clean. Each time you degrease, it's like starting over.

It's like putting a cast iron fry pan in the dishwasher. Sure you could do it, but it isn't making your life easier, or improving the performance of the pan.

I've been using MPro-7 for more than a decade now, and I don't think I'll be looking for an alternative anytime soon. Non-toxic, low-odor, works fine.

I have a SMALL bottle of degreaser on my bench, and I use a Q-Tip dipped in it when I NEED to degrease something. I'm pretty sure it'll be on my bench when I die, I use so little of it.

User Tag List