Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What do we like for a solvent?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    If you're already using SLIP2000 cleaner, why not use SLIP2000's CLP, then you wouldn't smell like a donut.
    Probably a lot easier to pass anything off by saying it's something related to personal products/deoderant.

Ballistol most of the time. If I need something stronger it's Hoppes #9, but it's not often that Ballistol doesn't do the job. I like that it doesn't harm any finishes or wood and it's non-toxic. The stuff we are cleaning off is toxic, there's no use in adding to that if it can be avoided.

For lube it's any number of things just depending on what I'm lubing how it's going to be used. Ballistol, Lucas Extreme, Amsoil synthetic grease, or Redline assembly lube.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    Are we not using the blood of our enemies anymore?
    It has grown to be too thin, too much of a biohazard, and too high in soy content for good utility.

Mostly Weapon shield. Got enough to last my lifetime. It works very well so no reason to switch. On my EDC guns I use Hornady One Shot spray. Dries dry and minimal odor. Tested very slick on one of the published test results. Between the Weapon Shield and the Hornady I'm covered.
    Unless it’s life or death related it’s all bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca10 View Post
    I've been using Breakthrough solvent to clean my P30 after finding the solvent at a local shop and giving it a try. However, I have noticed that my slide turns kind of a shade of gray when I apply it, and it loses that black luster that the slide usually has until I wipe it with a Hoppe's silicone cloth. I've no idea if it is harming the finish or not, but it kind of seems like it might over time.

Anyway, I'm looking for a replacement.

Hoppe's No. 9 is absolutely not happening. The smell and relative lack of cleaning power rules that out. I tried Hoppe's Elite a number of years ago and liked it, but I can't seem to find it any more.

I'd prefer something that is nontoxic. Maybe I should try Balistol? Any suggestions are appreciated.
    The gray appearance after applying a solvent is because it removes all the oil. For phosphate and black oxide finishes, the oil is what gives the metal it's lustrous black appearance. This does not harm the gun. When you oil the gun after cleaning, it takes the black lustrous appearance again.

If you're using a solvent that doesn't turn the metal gray, it's because you're either not using it on one of these surface treatments (such as bluing or cerakote), or you're using a solvent mixed with a lubricant...commonly referred to as a CLP. Ballistol has been mentioned in this thread several times......Ballistol is a CLP, not a dedicated solvent. Any dedicated solvent will turn your slide grayish in appearance.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Train View Post
    Are we not using the blood of our enemies anymore?
    Lovely sentiment to be sure, but as Archer noted it's not really a great weapon lube.

Bacon grease holds more promise as a lubricant, plus bacon really smells great! The problem with bacon grease as a gun lube is the salt content is hygroscopic and may promote rust. The good part about bacon grease is you can ignore your cardiologist and deep fry doughnuts in the stuff... it's delicious but very fattening.
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Eezox. I've been using it for almost 20 years after the smartest shooter I've ever met (no shit) put me onto it.
    I would generally avoid any products with chlorinated esters if you have any firearms where aluminum is involved.
    3/15/2016

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    For a solvent it’s non chlorinated brake cleaner. Or birch wood Casey gunscrubber. Hoppes#9 or simple green. Whichever I have on hand usually works.

MPro 7 and SLiP 725 when the job was paying for it. Using Ballistol for firearms I put in the safe for short term storage. I also use diluted Super Clean to clean almost anything, now that involves cars, guns, tools, etc. It's incredibly cheap and dilutes to 8-10x. I "think" it's non-toxic. SliP 2000 Carbon Killer is the BOMB for cleaning BCGs and muzzle devices.

User Tag List