Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What do we like for a solvent?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    Eezox. I've been using it for almost 20 years after the smartest shooter I've ever met (no shit) put me onto it.
    My understanding is that stuff is pretty nasty/toxic. I liked the smell, but probably should have been using it with more ventilation. It was, however, the only thing that could keep my old Springfield XD's from rusting. I don't use it anymore, as I also don't own the XD's anymore.

I've got a couple huge bottles of CLP I'm trying to burn through, but I'll likely turn to less toxic stuff in the future. Mostly using it in AR's until I run out. I've been impressed with Slip2000's products lately, used on my pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Nontoxic = Ballistol. The thing about Ballistol is that you should spray it on, and then go away for a while. Make a cup of coffee, read the news. Come back to find the carbon slough off. Blow it out with air and call it good, or add your preferred lube, or clean off with Isopropyl alcohol, then lube.

Simple Green will destroy several finishes over time, particularly anodize, so beware.
    Love Ballistol. It was good enough for the Kaiser, so it's good enough for me.

I reside and endure in a state of Non Permissive Enviroments where things need to smell right. I've settled on Slip 2000 725 cleaner and FP-10 CLP lubricant. The Slip 2000 cleans off carbon without much of a residual odor (unless you're a beagle) and the FP-10 smells like cinnamon.

In a society of hysterical hoplophobes I'd rather smell like a cinnamon doughnut than a bottle of Hoppes. I'd rather avoid the drama of brokenness with people who otherwise have much to offer.
    “Safety is nice, but it’s not first. Life is first and it’s not safe.”— Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    My understanding is that stuff is pretty nasty/toxic. I liked the smell, but probably should have been using it with more ventilation. It was, however, the only thing that could keep my old Springfield XD's from rusting. I don't use it anymore, as I also don't own the XD's anymore.

I've got a couple huge bottles of CLP I'm trying to burn through, but I'll likely turn to less toxic stuff in the future. Mostly using it in AR's until I run out. I've been impressed with Slip2000's products lately, used on my pistols.
    I use SLIP 2000 exclusively for lubrication, although CLP never disappointed. I'm guessing my career with JP-4 and JP-8 probably gave me some resistance to the EEZOX.😁

for cleaning, ballistol is all i use

Another vote for Eds Red
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Question

Are we not using the blood of our enemies anymore?

I recently tried out Boretech bore cleaner and it’s great stuff. It’s advertised as a general purpose bore cleaner that gets out lead, copper, and carbon fouling. They also make stronger products that target copper or carbon specifically, but I haven’t tried them yet.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Another "Ed's Red" believer here. I did not use it "back in the day," but after being given a bottle of it and using it I found it to work pretty good. Between Ed's Red and Slip 2000's line, most of my needs are covered.

(I was previously content with pre-1970 GI bore cleaner as a solvent, but my stash of that stuff got used up long ago.)
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by UpDok View Post
    I reside and endure in a state of Non Permissive Enviroments where things need to smell right. I've settled on Slip 2000 725 cleaner and FP-10 CLP lubricant. The Slip 2000 cleans off carbon without much of a residual odor (unless you're a beagle) and the FP-10 smells like cinnamon.

In a society of hysterical hoplophobes I'd rather smell like a cinnamon doughnut than a bottle of Hoppes. I'd rather avoid the drama of brokenness with people who otherwise have much to offer.
    If you're already using SLIP2000 cleaner, why not use SLIP2000's CLP, then you wouldn't smell like a donut.

User Tag List