Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What do we like for a solvent?

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    MPro 7. Hell, I clean my grill with that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    I would generally avoid any products with chlorinated esters if you have any firearms where aluminum is involved.
    Thanks for the heads up. About half my CZs are aluminum-framed. Guess I'll go through the cupboard for another solvent. What sort of negative result could result? I've not noticed any changes. Thanks again.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Chlorinated esters can create stress cracking in aluminum.
    3/15/2016

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The gray appearance after applying a solvent is because it removes all the oil. For phosphate and black oxide finishes, the oil is what gives the metal it's lustrous black appearance. This does not harm the gun. When you oil the gun after cleaning, it takes the black lustrous appearance again.

If you're using a solvent that doesn't turn the metal gray, it's because you're either not using it on one of these surface treatments (such as bluing or cerakote), or you're using a solvent mixed with a lubricant...commonly referred to as a CLP. Ballistol has been mentioned in this thread several times......Ballistol is a CLP, not a dedicated solvent. Any dedicated solvent will turn your slide grayish in appearance.
    Huh. I learned something new today. I've been shooting for 15 years and never knew that.

Site Supporter
    Yeah!

I've used most everything available. My fave solvent is Lucas bore solvent. For cleaning polymer frames, Super Quick Clean Gun (Super QCG).

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Chlorinated esters can create stress cracking in aluminum.
    I am probably woefully out of the loop WRT knowing which magic cleaning potions contain chlorinated esters.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Oils and Lotions SME
    Militech-1 and Eezox have been rumored to contain chlorinated esters for years. I havent paid for any lab testing or seen any actual lab results to know for sure if they ever did, or still do.

Aluminum can pit in the presence of Chloride ions.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1149/2.1011409jes

Certain Austenitic Stainless Steels are susceptible to SCC (Stress Crack Corrosion) under certain conditions when exposed to Chlorine.

https://www.ssina.com/education/corr...sion-cracking/

Militech-1 had the NSN removed by the GAO some time ago.

https://www.gao.gov/assets/gao-09-735r.pdf

I hate grease on guns.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

Nowadays, nothing. I wipe my guns down with a paper towel after every use, and 98% of powder comes right off. The rest is removed with a stiff toothbrush, and sometimes a brass brush. Cylinder chambers and barrels get a pass with a bore snake. I use the tiniest amount of Lucas Extreme Duty oil on the appropriate places, and then wipe everything down with a microfiber cloth that I sprayed with Breakfree CLP a year ago.

I use liberty gun lubricants. We had a thread a couple years ago about it, one of our forum members is the owner of the company.

User Tag List