Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 38 special RMR bullet reloading data

38 special RMR bullet reloading data

Does anyone here have any experience with the RMR smiley face bullet? I tried loading some up and used titegroup and Winchester 231 and even with the max load I’m only getting just at 700FPS out of a 4” barrel.

I am using the loading data out of the hodgdon manual for 140 grain bullets. I don’t know what’s going on and why it’s so slow. The published info shows I should be getting around 900FPS at those charge weights.

At first I thought maybe the powder had gone weak, but I doubt that would happen to two separate type of powder. All my reloading stuff is kept inside my house so it’s all climate controlled.

I am using GINEX primers but I doubt that would make a difference, because it hasn’t affected anything else.

The case capacity, chamber dimensions, primer choice, and barrel are all variables that may not provide the same results as the published load data. You may also have powder that has absorbed some moisture, making it weigh more but have less energy.

It all comes down to less pressure. I would cautiously increase the powder charge a couple tenths at a time to see if you can get the results you are looking for.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    The case capacity, chamber dimensions, primer choice, and barrel are all variables that may not provide the same results as the published load data. You may also have powder that has absorbed some moisture, making it weigh more but have less energy.

It all comes down to less pressure. I would cautiously increase the powder charge a couple tenths at a time to see if you can get the results you are looking for.
    I get the variables. I have checked the load in different revolvers and have gotten the same results. At first I thought it was my chronograph, but I confirmed it with some factory loads with know velocities.

I have been reloading since the mid 90’s but have never had anything like this occur.

I have never used their bullets before and just didn’t know if anyone else had tried them and if they had issues.

Thank you for your response.

Wade

Sure does seem odd...
    @03RN seems to maybe have some experience with these bullets (and a lot of 38/357 recent loading experience), but this could be my feeble memory.
    They do make the same bullet in .355 (and add the Smiley Face to differentiate them) but if they goofed and made some undersize maybe measure them? This is low probability, but just making a wild guess.

ETA: Or double check your scale?

How are you crimping them?
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Sure does seem odd...
    @03RN seems to maybe have some experience with these bullets (and a lot of 38/357 recent loading experience), but this could be my feeble memory.
    They do make the same bullet in .355 (and add the Smiley Face to differentiate them) but if they goofed and made some undersize maybe measure them? This is low probability, but just making a wild guess.

ETA: Or double check your scale?
    No, I've been on the fence with those bullets.

What's the load you're using?
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

I used to fight trying to make power factor with 38 Special when I was shooting it in IDPA SSR.

I sorted my brass by manufacturer because some were thicker and had less volume. Military brass like WCC were best. I found that I could get a higher and more consistent velocity reading if I elevated the muzzle before each shot to settle the powder near the primer. IDPA was using this technique at chrono for a while.

I ended up using a powder charge that I won't post on the internet, that I got from a really old reloading manual. Current listings didn't quite make it.

What is the purpose to choose that particular bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    How are you crimping them?
    I have been using a Lee carbide factory crimp die on them. I don’t think it’s overly aggressive, but it crimps them enough where they drop in the cylinder nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    No, I've been on the fence with those bullets.

What's the load you're using?

I used 4.6grs of Winchester 231 which should be 861fps and 4.2grs of titegroup which should be 919fps according to their data.

With 231 I got 726fps out of my S&W 19 with a 4” barrel. When I did 4.3grs I got 622fps the book showed 809fps
    Titegroup gave me 740fps with the same gun

I think I did try some without any crimp other than what you get with the seating die and it didn’t change anything.

Quote Originally Posted by defilade View Post
    I used 4.6grs of Winchester 231 which should be 861fps and 4.2grs of titegroup which should be 919fps according to their data.

With 231 I got 726fps out of my S&W 19 with a 4” barrel. When I did 4.3grs I got 622fps the book showed 809fps
    Titegroup gave me 740fps with the same gun

I think I did try some without any crimp other than what you get with the seating die and it didn’t change anything.
    Hodgdons pressure barrel is 7.7 inches and is not identified as being vented. So their barrel is almost twice as long as yours and doesn't have a barrel/cylinder gap.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

User Tag List