Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walther 5" PDP SF Match

Walther 5" PDP SF Match

Got this one out of morbid curiosity. Interesting gun with an identity crisis. PDP 5 inch SF (steel frame) Match seems like a competition gun on paper. I am sure that somebody will stick it in their waistband and call it a carry gun and maybe even expect to be taken seriously, but to me a 5 inch full grip 39 oz dry weight pistol is a recreational tool for games or plinking. I presume that is the reason why I was surprised to find out that it has a [very good to excellent] duty grade [not competition] trigger over 4.5 lbs, mag release button is of a short carry height, and magwell doesn’t take any mainstream +4 extensions. ZR extensions work but have a bad design. The gun is also sprung as if it is for .357SIG.

A couple of springs dropped pull to about 3.25 lbs. There is no roll so I am not in love but it is OK. 15 lbs recoil spring is better than 19. Extended mag release is $45 on Walther’s website where it out of stock but Earl’s will sell it to you for $65 and ship for $20. When you get it, you’ll likely find that 1/3-inch-tall mag release is too tall. But the color coordinates beautifully with LOK grips. I removed magwell because Henning’s extensions don’t play with it. That revealed a lip / tip / whatever you call it that makes reloads only that much more difficult.

Name:  20240302_155745.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  52.9 KB
    This 5 inch gun utilizes 4.5 inch long recoil assembly. This is something I liked because I felt that the gun cycled very fast. Based on my records, it is close to stock CZ Shadow 2 for overall weight, slide weight, and frame weight so I am not sure why Hwansik felt that it balances in some special way in his review. Comparing to my CZs that are quite a bit lighter, it was easier for me to push the gun down too much. Not sure if momentums or leverages are in play, or just the familiarity. I found that trigger reach felt too long for me. I can’t explain it in numbers other that trigger face being wider than Glock’s but I would’ve preferred more finger in. I hear that some PDP SF users prefer thin LOK grips.

A little bit of shooting I did today showed shooting speed on par with my CZs but worse consistency, see videos below. About one good run for 2-3 fucked up ones. I presume it is expected for the first session. I am certain that I can get my shooting on par with CZ’s but I am coming up short on reasons.

Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Got this one out of morbid curiosity. Interesting gun with an identity crisis. PDP 5 inch SF (steel frame) Match seems like a competition gun on paper. I am sure that somebody will stick it in their waistband and call it a carry gun and maybe even expect to be taken seriously, but to me a 5 inch full grip 39 oz dry weight pistol is a recreational tool for games or plinking. I presume that is the reason why I was surprised to find out that it has a [very good to excellent] duty grade [not competition] trigger over 4.5 lbs, mag release button is of a short carry height, and magwell doesn’t take any mainstream +4 extensions. ZR extensions work but have a bad design. The gun is also sprung as if it is for .357SIG.

A couple of springs dropped pull to about 3.25 lbs. There is no roll so I am not in love but it is OK. 15 lbs recoil spring is better than 19. Extended mag release is $45 on Walther’s website where it out of stock but Earl’s will sell it to you for $65 and ship for $20. When you get it, you’ll likely find that 1/3-inch-tall mag release is too tall. But the color coordinates beautifully with LOK grips. I removed magwell because Henning’s extensions don’t play with it. That revealed a lip / tip / whatever you call it that makes reloads only that much more difficult.

Name:  20240302_155745.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  52.9 KB
    This 5 inch gun utilizes 4.5 inch long recoil assembly. This is something I liked because I felt that the gun cycled very fast. Based on my records, it is close to stock CZ Shadow 2 for overall weight, slide weight, and frame weight so I am not sure why Hwansik felt that it balances in some special way in his review. Comparing to my CZs that are quite a bit lighter, it was easier for me to push the gun down too much. Not sure if momentums or leverages are in play, or just the familiarity. I found that trigger reach felt too long for me. I can’t explain it in numbers other that trigger face being wider than Glock’s but I would’ve preferred more finger in. I hear that some PDP SF users prefer thin LOK grips.

A little bit of shooting I did today showed shooting speed on par with my CZs but worse consistency, see videos below. About one good run for 2-3 fucked up ones. I presume it is expected for the first session. I am certain that I can get my shooting on par with CZ’s but I am coming up short on reasons.

Most of what you wrote matches my experience with a standard PDP.

I just picked up an M&P competitor. TLDR I suspect my PDP experiment will be coming to an end.

Thanks I needed that. Was back on the switching to steel PDP bandwagon. This is probably the first less than glowing report I have heard on the gun.

I would love it if you shot the PDP steel frame back to back with a polymer five inch PDP.

I prefer the tungsten grip module to the AXG module on the 320. The steel Canik was all the buzz and now many prefer the polymer Rival to it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Thanks I needed that. Was back on the switching to steel PDP bandwagon. This is probably the first less than glowing report I have heard on the gun.
    All other reports so far have been from 'tube influencers or sponsored shooters. I am sure that whatever Hwansik is getting from Walther is enough not to mention that back lip or short mag release, especially considering on average one reload in a course of USPSA stage. Other things may be subjective, for example, trigger reach is influenced by how much of it you like and how much of your strong hand is on the side panel vs backstrap. I wouldn't talk anyone out of this gun and I am about to take it to the range again. I would only suggest to not buy it sight unseen / feel uncoonfingered.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would love it if you shot the PDP steel frame back to back with a polymer five inch PDP.
    I'd love to do it too but I am not gonna get a poly version. My prediction is that the difference betweem the two will about the same as between tungsten-infused and regular poly 320.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Most of what you wrote matches my experience with a standard PDP.

I just picked up an M&P competitor. TLDR I suspect my PDP experiment will be coming to an end.
    How do you like the mp competitor?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by G19Fan View Post
    How do you like the mp competitor?
    Only one range trip but I like it a lot more than the PDP.

Accurate, tracks well. Easy to shoot at speed.

A few more range sessions like this and it will replace the PDP as my shoot for fun / experiment gun.

Only one range trip but I like it a lot more than the PDP.

Accurate, tracks well. Easy to shoot at speed.

A few more range sessions like this and it will replace the PDP as my shoot for fun / experiment gun.
    You have the 4.25 or 5?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You have the 4.25 or 5?
    The 5”

The 5”
    I enjoyed shooting the 5 inch models more in USPSA, but of course the 4.25 was easier to carry. Is this a play gun for you? Shot any groups with it yet?

User Tag List