Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Women's self-defense

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    About how women use violence in abusive relationships and their action is not in direct response to an act. For example, guy beats them and then they stab him later. The rationale is that they don't have the ability for direct combat but can use it later - as when the man is not aware that he will be attacked. Is that attack self-defense? Current law says NO. The author examines the laws and rationales.
    It's an interesting concept...especially if the male partner has made threats ("I'll kill you, you cheating bitch.") and then some time has passed. Especially given that domestic violence tends to escalate, I suppose I can sympathize with the battered woman and am not gonna be too torn up by a wife beater getting smoke checked.

That said, the law is the law. There must be an imminent threat in my opinion, for it to be self defense.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    That said, the law is the law. There must be an imminent threat in my opinion, for it to be self defense.
    Yes, and the argument is that if the threat is not imminent, then in theory the threatened party can leave and call the police instead of resorting to force. Society probably stands to win by discouraging people from killing each other to forestall potential future violence.

(Note that as I’m sure you have from a different angle, I have worked on enough DV cases to be familiar with the dynamics involved, and to be extremely sympathetic to the women—they’re almost exclusively women—who are victimized.)

So our local PD is offering their first self-defense class for women only.....class has already filled up fast and they are going to schedule a second class in the near future....Name:  womensself defclass.1.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  35.7 KB

User Tag List