Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a good second pistol

Forego another gun, buy ammo.
    Regular, structured practice is the non-negotiable key to performance.
    Purchase both duty JHP and practice ball. Purchase an amount of a recommended duty load and vet the ammo through your gun for function and POA/POI, then have whatever amount on hand that satisfies what you assess is your need, ie, X number of mags loaded and their refill, plus a cushion.
    Do the same thing with practice ammo. Purchase small amounts of several brands to test, then start buying case quantities. Dollar cost average ammo purchases since price and availability routinely, though unpredictably, fluctuate wildly.
    The upcoming fun and games called "The Election" is likely going to cause some shortages and even panics as tomfoolery commences, so I'd get on it.
    I try to keep a roughly 6 month supply of ball on hand to support a training schedule of 100 rounds per week. That both ensures I can maintain skills in the event of a shortage(a'la Covid) and that I don't have to pay usurious prices during the various panics that engulf the industry.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Identical copy of first gun.

Figured I expand on this. Having a second gun set up for dry practice on a pants with holster eliminated the friction to dry practicing and helps me stay familiar with the gun between long periods of real use.

No need to load and unload the primary.

Instead of a second gun, spend the money on training, practice, ammunition and dynamic shooting sports matches (e.g., IDPA). You'll quickly learn the performance of yourself and your gun-and then be in a far better position to empirically determine what, if any second pistol you should get down the line.

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    What are your goals? Personal defense/concealed carry? Competition? Go to the gun range, however many times a year, and blast off a box or two of ammo? other?

Once you acquire the second gun, what's your budget for ammo/training/range fees/etc? Is this a $100/year venture or a $10,000/year venture or somewhere in between?

Do you have a hard-on for any guns in particular? Beretta 92's because 80's action flicks? 1911's because "Two World Wars"? XXX gun because that's what your favorite social media influencer is pumping?

Cheers,
    D
    I think this is a good set of questions...unless you sit down and decide what you want to achieve, you are going to get a bunch of answers to questions you haven't asked yet.

So:

You have a gun. What do you want to achieve with your second one?

(Or: Do you even want a second gun? Or do you want to get good with that one, first? I picked up a handgun for the first time in my life at age 55 (I'm 65 now). I rented a S&W Full Size M&P at the range for a year, then bought one. I held off buying another one for 18 months, and shot almost 3,500 rounds through it. I learned that I wasn't a particularly good shot, and I needed some training.)

I totally get "new gun fever", and it's pretty fun. Some random ideas: if you don't have a small "take out the trash" gun, like a Ruger LCR, or Smith and Wesson J Frame, that would be one itch I would scratch. A 1911 would be fun if you wanted to connect with nostalgia. A second copy of your current gun would make a lot of sense, from a "2 is 1" point of view. Another fun (and cheap) way to learn basics is to get a 22 target pistol. (In full disclosure: I did all of these steps. )

In any event, you happened on the right place on the internet to get good gun advice. I'd say you are going to get (and have gotten) some great input. Welcome aboard.

1. Training (ammo, class, find what holsters you like, etc.)
    2. Reshop for pistol if necessary, if you want to stay with the pistol you chose, buy a second as your training gun. Retire your first one as your carry/primary gun and the new one starts to take the abuse.
    3. Next urge for another pistol, buy an AR-15 carbine and go down that rabit hole

Site Supporter
    Welcome to shooting and to the forum.

Since you just purchased your first pistol recently, I'd suggest spending money on training, ammunition, and support equipment such as holsters and additional magazines. If you receive an inheritance that stipulates you can only purchase another gun, I'd get a duplicate of the first. While I don't encourage modifications or experimentation by those new to firearms, you might, at some point, want to try things like optics, different iron sights, or other changes. This would allow you to flight test modifications before doing so on a defensive/duty/competition weapon.

My thoughts in no particular order after browsing the posts in this thread:
    -OP, it might help to know generally where you're located, as in which state.
    -I like how folks are asking what the goals are. Many folks here I'm guessing became "expert" in handguns from a variety of backgrounds and histories. I also suspect many of us would have many different recommendations, which wouldn't be wrong, just different.
    -OP, perhaps also tell us how the initial Walther was selected.

-to state some things to decide upon:
    --caliber
    --overall handgun size wanted
    --brand
    --even type (semi-auto, revolver, suppressed capability)'
    --price range
    --holster availability, if relevant
    --accessory capability, if relevant (lights, holsters, suppressors)
    --purpose (carry, bedside, recreation, practice, any various personal preferences)
    -I like the advice to buy ammo and get training, particularly right now.
    -Budget-wise, there's time and money with, off-the-top-of-my-head, $3K-$10K is entirely possible to spend on ammo, training, travel & lodging, particularly if starting from zero experience, training, equipment-wise).

Good luck; let us know how your journey goes.

Unless you're dissatisfied with some aspect of your current pistol, I would stick with it and spend the money on a second pistol getting training and buying ammunition.

If you're dead set on getting a second pistol, I'd buy a .22LR that's as close to the configuration of your current pistol as possible, and use it as a dedicated trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by myrtlebeach314 View Post
    New here

Picked up my first handgun about a month ago - Walther PDP Pro SD Compact, 4in

I'm hooked, and am beginning to research my 2nd handgun purchase. My permit to purchase is in progress, and hopefully it won't take too long while I decide what to buy and also hopefully find it on sale. I don't have my CCW, but am open to all (full size, compact) guns. I'm mag capped, so ideally something that comes stock with 10rd mags so I don't need to pay for pinning.

Considering P365 XMacro, a CZ (P10C? 75?), maybe even a 40 or a 45? I'm all over the place. I'd definitely put a RDS so it must have that option. Picatinny rail would be very nice too, don't like proprietary stuff.

Sorry if i'm all over the place, its because I don't even know where to start, and since permits are hard to come by, I'll probably be going down this rabbit hole for the next 3 months until my (pending) permit expires.
    Great advise thus far. I'd prioritize my purchases as quality training > several cases of FMJ ammo > a good 22 > more training > a duplicate of your existing pistol > a different type of pistol.

Each of the second-pistol options you listed does the same job as what you have now, so you gain nothing in terms of capability. At the same time, having different types of pistols adds complexity just when that's the last thing you need.

For training, take the equivalent of the first three handgun courses listed here: https://www.insightstraining.com/sec...p?categoryID=4 This is the fast track to being head and shoulders above 90% of the other gun owners you'll meet. Not sure where you live but there are likely plenty of nearby folks who can train you to that level.

If CCW is off the table, then I'd avoid sub-compact pistols built specifically for that. They're hard to run well and they create a level of distraction and hassle that nobody needs until and unless they can carry concealed AND they've proven that carrying a bigger pistol isn't possible. Get your feet on the ground with what you have, then try a tiny pistol if you must. If CCW is possible someday, then learning to do it with the pistol you have will teach you things that make the tiny pistol easier to run.

A man who can run a mid-sized 10-shot 9mm pistol well and is beginning to understand how to fight with it is a far more serious opponent than an untrained man who owns two pistols and doesn't shoot much.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Priority 1 is ammo and mags/holster so that you can get to a QUALITY training class.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List