View Poll Results: What's in your Cylinder? (Multiple Choice allowed 3+1 Categories given)

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • None of my Magnums actually get Magnums anymore

7 14.89%
  • Mid recoil 125 gr Golden Saber

11 23.40%
  • Mid Recoil 125 gr Critical Defense

0 0%
  • Full Power 125 gr SJHP

6 12.77%
  • 135 gr Critical Duty

6 12.77%
  • 145 gr Silvertip

9 19.15%
  • 158 gr SJHP

10 21.28%
  • 158 gr Hydrashok

1 2.13%
  • New Kid on the Block 154 gr HST

2 4.26%
  • Something Heavier or Hardcast for Woods/Animal Defense!

8 17.02%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's your .357 Magnum Carry Ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    Since most of my .357 are k frames I have been carrying the High Desert Cartridge .357 158 grain XTP. It is loaded more like a .38 but no carbon ring left in the cylinder. The only .357 I carry a full magnum cartridge in is my GP-100 and that is the barnes copper 125 grain load. Recoil isn't horrible and it hits POA/POI at 25 yards in my GP100.
    I should have thought out the Poll better and not sure if can change that part. I'd lump all 158 JHPs together with the HS/Gold Dot/XTP etc.

The Barnes I guess would go in full power 125 gr w the sjhp? Is that mid or full power recoil wise? I know the 140 is stout.

For say, Deer purposes from a 4" do you get mild expansion with 158 XTP's? But much Better in a Carbine?

Site Supporter
    The barnes if full power. It was actually slightly uncomfortable to shoot in my python (which was surprising) but the GP-100 is just really good at handling recoil. All of my k-frames are short barrel (3 or shorter) so I am not sure what the expansion would be. Not sure what it would do out of a carbine, it is a pretty mild load. The main reason I carry it is because it hits to the same POA/POI as the target TMJ load and it adds years to the life of the gun as it is very mild and extremely accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I should have thought out the Poll better and not sure if can change that part. I'd lump all 158 JHPs together with the HS/Gold Dot/XTP etc.

The Barnes I guess would go in full power 125 gr w the sjhp? Is that mid or full power recoil wise? I know the 140 is stout.

For say, Deer purposes from a 4" do you get mild expansion with 158 XTP's? But much Better in a Carbine?

Magtech 158 grain SJHP, code 357B. Quoting myself from a while back:

...some shadetree testing. Line of gallon milk jugs, the first covered with four layers of hoodie...

Using my 4" S&W model 28 - from which this load has previously averaged a velocity of 1,240fps - the bullet penetrated six jugs, not denting the back of the sixth. I was briefly confused. The recovered bullet barely tried expanding and resembled a mildly flared wadcutter. At the hot velocity of this load, that should have seen it pass clear through all seven jugs. A friend had gotten to the array before me and mixed some up but I discovered a perfect ring of lead in jug number four or five. The exposed lead had fully expanded, tried to peel a couple jacket skives open, and ultimately shed off. The full expansion through that much of the bullet path makes the penetration more sensible.
    I also have some substitute standard Remington 125 grain SJPH.

Thank you for your understanding, I hope you don't mind me jumping on this figuring out how to run a Poll.
    While the Silvertips would take care of a large dog/cayote/mountain lion, If I was Moose/Bear type country 154 would be the lowest weight I would go though I am certainly not an expert regarding animal defense. Even cheaper 158 sjhps seem to do rather well as far as deep penetration with mild expansion. The HST looks like it would be a good in and around towns in the NW type of load to do everything.

And, .357 carbines certainly become interesting...where they optimize velocity about 18" so a 16" is pretty close to 20" velocity I believe...158 sjhp or harder jhps...gold dots/xtps/critical duty I am sure all would perform well. I wasn't even thinking the Carbine Category. Has anyone done any Jug testing w/357 carbines? Anything learned there? I have watched a few videos on the subject. Does anyone use a .357 Lever for HD or have it for your wife/kids to use? A 16" is short/handy and lightweight. 20" still pretty much so and a couple more rounds.

And yes, I am sorry for forgetting about the low recoil 135 gr gold dot (suppose the Mild 357s Gold Dot/Golden Saber/Critical Defense could be grouped together), and the 158 Gold Dot could probably be grouped with the 158 HS or other JHPs.
    In bear/moose country, I’d be packing something bigger. Probably a long gun.
    In the brushy flatlands I roam, hogs & two legged critters are about the only threats. Of course there’s charging rocks, tree stumps & prickly pears that have to be put down.

Further thought point...

Do any on here actually live anywhere go out deep woods hunting/hiking anywhere that a 158 gr whatever wouldn't likely be good enough for animal defense? Or where a 170/180 .357 or typical .40/10mm FMJ-FP wouldn't actually be good enough (or Flat Point/Hard Cast 9/45 for that matter)?

Just an interesting side point, and genuinely curious if more than that is ever really needed (wouldn't .41 Mag actually be ideal, not 44/454/460/480/500 etc), and if so where?

Just saying .357 has a lot of diversity, from .38 WC to Mid 125/135 magnums in lighter guns, 125-145 full power for full size fighting revolvers, 158 covers just about anything, and can go heavier 170/180 for woods/animal defense if needed.

Further thought point...

Do any on here actually live anywhere go out deep woods hunting/hiking anywhere that a 158 gr whatever wouldn't likely be good enough for animal defense? Or where a 170/180 .357 or typical .40/10mm FMJ-FP wouldn't actually be good enough (or Flat Point/Hard Cast 9/45 for that matter)?

Just an interesting side point, and genuinely curious if more than that is ever really needed (wouldn't .41 Mag actually be ideal, not 44/454/460/480/500 etc), and if so where?

Just saying .357 has a lot of diversity, from .38 WC to Mid 125/135 magnums in lighter guns, 125-145 full power for full size fighting revolvers, 158 covers just about anything, and can go heavier 170/180 for woods/animal defense if needed.

I have had coyotes and black bear in my yard and I frequent the woods where feral hogs roam. The likely hood of having to deal with a bear is low but not zero. Coyotes are invasive to WNC and need to be put down like the vermin they are and can be handled with firearm that I may have on me. The feral hogs are also invasive and while I cannot find any documented encounters, there are word of mouth stories about bout be chased by them. My brothers' cousin's sister's boyfriend had to climb a tree to get away from one type of stories. Because NC wildlife agency lists the hogs as invasive, there is no closed hunting season and therefor I consider them to be a target of opportunity. I got close a few weeks ago, I heard them down on a creek but the wind was wrong and they smelled me before I got eyes on them, maybe next time.

My around the house SP101 and Python gets Federal 158 SJSP. I carry the 170g SWC .38-44 load, in my 3 inch GP100 (this is my woods .357 gun) because accuracy is phenomenal and who doesn't want a 170 grain bullet at 1200 FPS... If I am willfully venturing into hog territory I will up size caliber and carry my 3 inch .44 Special GP100 with a hard cast 255g SWC at 1000 FPS. I do have a S&W M29 Mountain gun now that is starting to take the place of the GP, same bullet just a little faster..

Thanks for thr info.

Ok excuse my ignorance on these matters
    But from a .357 Carbine for hog Eradication or for Hunting Deer would a 158 JSP or XTP suffice? What would be ideal?

(Regarding .44 special I think it's a great handloader round, & w Punch even from the short barrels looks pretty ideal for Defense and quite too-however I don' treload)

Thanks for thr info.

Ok excuse my ignorance on these matters
    But from a .357 Carbine for hog Eradication or for Hunting Deer would a 158 JSP or XTP suffice? What would be ideal?

(Regarding .44 special I think it's a great handloader round, & w Punch even from the short barrels looks pretty ideal for Defense and quite too-however I don' treload)

I do not have a .357 rifle yet, so I don't have experience there. However, I do have experience with a .44 mag rifle and have been doing a lot of research ISO a better hunting bullet for a .44 mag rifle (pistol-forum.com) I think what I am learning about the .44 will translate very well to the .357.

There will be others along that do have great knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I do not have a .357 rifle yet, so I don't have experience there. However, I do have experience with a .44 mag rifle and have been doing a lot of research ISO a better hunting bullet for a .44 mag rifle (pistol-forum.com) I think what I am learning about the .44 will translate very well to the .357.

There will be others along that do have great knowledge.
    Thanks, and I read over your thread. I am not a hunter, but would like a general idea of what is passable, what is ideal, and what would work in a pinch. Plus it helps me justify a future purchase which is why we are all on these forums anyways right? I'm not sure what kind of arc and drop .357 has from a levergun but I'd imaging that 100 yard shots are doable if you know your load approximately. Honestly don't know if JSP's are useful like on deer at 357 mag velocities, or if it dumps too much lead like you were worried about. I'm guessing they would do in a pinch, but maybe 158 xtps better but that's just a guess. I'd bet 125 xtps would likely hold well enough together on a deer or man as well.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 03-01-2024 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    Since most of my .357 are k frames I have been carrying the High Desert Cartridge .357 158 grain XTP. It is loaded more like a .38 but no carbon ring left in the cylinder.
    I have some of this ammo in for testing in my SP-101, but haven't hit the range yet.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List