Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dimpled shoulders on .223 cases

Site Supporter

Dimpled shoulders on .223 cases

I’m reloading..223 / 5.56 lately, and have been getting a lot of dimpled shoulders when reforming them. It doesn’t happen all the time, but probably at least 50% of the time. It may be correlated to certain headstamps, but still isn’t 100% consistent then.
    I’m using Lee dies and Lee case lube that I allow to dry for at least 20-30 minutes. I follow the instructions on the case lube, and don’t put any on the shoulder (I assume to avoid exactly what I’m experiencing). I heavily lube the inside of the case mouth, and lightly lube the outside surface of the mouth and the case body.
    Anyone have any ideas about what’s causing this and how I can avoid it?

Photos to illustrate the issue:
    Name:  IMG_2580.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  34.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_2581.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  28.2 KB

And how I lube the cases:
    Name:  IMG_2582.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  63.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I’m reloading..223 / 5.56 lately, and have been getting a lot of dimpled shoulders when reforming them. It doesn’t happen all the time, but probably at least 50% of the time. It may be correlated to certain headstamps, but still isn’t 100% consistent then.
    Are you trimming, and if you are do you chamfer the inside rim of the case mouth?

Edit: is this happening on resizing or seating?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

It's been my experience when I see dimpled shoulders, it's been lube related, as in, "too much." Lube only the case walls. Dry lube, like motor mica, on the necks.

My 0.02.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

From the look of your cases you’re using way too much lube. I have learned to only lightly lube the case body, you can’t see it and barely feel it. I pass an appropriate size brush lightly lubed through the case neck prior to sizing to prevent the expander button from hanging up while being extracted.

I would spray out the inside of the die, there is probably a bunch of lube that got pushed around in there and wound up on the shoulder.
    And as mentioned, that seems like a buttload of lube. I have never used the Lee lube, and have converted to the home brew lanolin.
    I also do not do anything special on the necks, I do the spray and then roll them around in a plastic shoebox, I am sure the necks seem to get enough.
    If you mix something, this is also why you want the 99% alcohol, you do not want to leave any moisture behind. I also mix a very light lanolin ratio, just put enough in that it looks like a beer that is probably not very good, like Bud or Coors Light.
    How are you cleaning after sizing? I would have some concern on getting all that neck lube out of the case.
    Also, since you are using Lee dies, if you do get a stuck case it is fairly easy to pound it out with the decap-expander rod. If you are using a progressive you can do this in a few steps (I run twice for rifle rounds, size one the 1100 and load on a 650).
    Also since you are using Lee dies, know that Squirrel Daddy has expanders for .223, and they are Strong Like Bull.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick R View Post
    From the look of your cases you’re using way too much lube. I have learned to only lightly lube the case body, you can’t see it and barely feel it. I pass an appropriate size brush lightly lubed through the case neck prior to sizing to prevent the expander button from hanging up while being extracted.

^^^ This.

I use the old school RCBS case lube pads with their case lube II stuff i think its called. Lightly roll several cases across the pad, touch the very end of the neck to the pad with a slight twist to lube both inside and out, and go. When the pad has had more lube and its going on semi-heavy I often skip lubing a round or two or three after each heavily lubed on, based on feel and if they start feeling too dry, if so, back it out and give it a little slick-um.

From back in the bad old days of the original RCBS case lube, I clean all the lube off by hand with a rag and rubbing alcohol. I rarely super-clean all the cases every single time they are loaded, I never cleaned them except wiping them off with a rag if dirty for the first 25 or so years of loading. I had friends clean a few lots, then got a tumbler, then got tired of messing with it. Wet cleaning if grungy or just a wipe off is all they get now.
    Last edited by Malamute; 02-28-2024 at 09:42 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Your sizing die probably has a buildup. Clean it.

Don’t put lube on the outside of the neck. Put a very small amount inside the neck. Put “enough” on the walls, but not near the shoulder.

I use Dillon spray lube on the entire case. Never seen that. I'm not using carbide dies either if that matters.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Those are indeed "lube" dents in the shoulder. You are using far too much lube on the outside of your cases. It is not related in any way to the case brand. One thing you can do is wipe off the case shoulder and neck with a paper towel. Enough lube will remain on the case neck and shoulder for sizing.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I would spray out the inside of the die, there is probably a bunch of lube that got pushed around in there and wound up on the shoulder.
    And as mentioned, that seems like a buttload of lube. I have never used the Lee lube, and have converted to the home brew lanolin.
    I also do not do anything special on the necks, I do the spray and then roll them around in a plastic shoebox, I am sure the necks seem to get enough.
    If you mix something, this is also why you want the 99% alcohol, you do not want to leave any moisture behind. I also mix a very light lanolin ratio, just put enough in that it looks like a beer that is probably not very good, like Bud or Coors Light.
    How are you cleaning after sizing? I would have some concern on getting all that neck lube out of the case.
    Also, since you are using Lee dies, if you do get a stuck case it is fairly easy to pound it out with the decap-expander rod. If you are using a progressive you can do this in a few steps (I run twice for rifle rounds, size one the 1100 and load on a 650).
    Also since you are using Lee dies, know that Squirrel Daddy has expanders for .223, and they are Strong Like Bull.
    OMG!! Can we please get a ‘so-to-speak’?

Try Hornady One Shot case spray lubricant.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

User Tag List