Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage Dynamics 320 trigger fix?

Sage Dynamics 320 trigger fix?

Question for some of you more knowledgeable gentlemen, I’ve been primarily competing with an Sig 320 x5 Legion for the past year with its stock trigger. After seeing all kinds of problems via the internet I have some cause for concern going into this season. I really enjoy the pistol, but am becoming hesitant with the bad press, I’m not one for changing triggers really ever in a striker gun, but in this case does anyone know if the Sage Dynamics trigger adds an extra level of “safe”? I’ve even considered selling it a moving on but before I did I thought I would see if there is anything to the AD/ND scenarios with the Sigs? This is totally a competition pistol but I don’t need any holes I didn’t show up with at the matches! I’ve even considered just sending it to Grey Guns and having them give it a look over.
    Thanks Gents I appreciate it.

To intelligently answer your question, first we are going to need someone to demonstrate exactly what the problem is with the 320 trigger. No doubt there have been discharges, but I have yet to see a credible analysis of what the exact cause is. That is different from the 320 drop issue, where anyone with a mallet or a hard floor could replicate the issue.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    To intelligently answer your question, first we are going to need someone to demonstrate exactly what the problem is with the 320 trigger. No doubt there have been discharges, but I have yet to see a credible analysis of what the exact cause is. That is different from the 320 drop issue, where anyone with a mallet or a hard floor could replicate the issue.
    That’s my problem I can’t really tell if it’s legit or not, I ran other pistols for years and about two years ago I bought a 320 to compete with and an Xcompact for carry, they fit me I like them just as they are stock, I’ve never had any issues. But I don’t know recently I’ve been drinking the kool aid thinking there may be something to it. I love the guns, I’ve been looking for everyway possible to confidently continue using them. I mean if they all were going off right and left everyone and their dog would be screaming at Sig, but then again I’ll shove a Glock in my waistband and not give it a second thought. Some have mentioned the trigger geometry as an issue, but it could be “bro” science. I’m kind of stuck on what I think, I want to believe it’s fine and roll on, another part of me has the tinfoil hat on

There is definitely smoke, we just don't know if there is fire. My belief is that it may be a combination of light bearing holsters and no trigger tab, but that is just a guess.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The best way I've ever heard it described is that carrying a P320 is similar to carrying a Beretta 92 with the hammer cocked and no safety. Yes there is a firing pin safety and a half cock notch but it doesn't take a whole lot of travel or weight to actuate at all. That combined with the poor case head support probably encompasses most of the problems with that platform.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    There is definitely smoke, we just don't know if there is fire. My belief is that it may be a combination of light bearing holsters and no trigger tab, but that is just a guess.
    I'm inclined to agree, because the reports of discharges I've read all involve LEOs with light bearing holsters. My theory on why I haven't heard about civilian problems is that more people won't carry a 320 size pistol and a lot of people carry condition 3. The few that carry a 320 with a round in the chamber are more dedicated and/or more careful.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I'm inclined to agree, because the reports of discharges I've read all involve LEOs with light bearing holsters. My theory on why I haven't heard about civilian problems is that more people won't carry a 320 size pistol and a lot of people carry condition 3. The few that carry a 320 with a round in the chamber are more dedicated and/or more careful.
    The non-leo one's I've seen have been high(er) round counts from competition shooters - both kabooms while shooting and discharges involving holsters.

The round count on my competition pistol is at about 4800 rds, the smaller compact version closer to 900. So far everything has seemed to work fine. When doing some research I saw that some have swapped the trigger feeling that that was a cure for whatever could be ailing the 320. So I looked into the Agency trigger basically for that reason. Maybe it’s a total non issue, but I’m not one to defend ownership on something, I’ve always gotten solid advice on the Pistol Forum and wouldn’t hesitate to dump them if the consensus was they’re unsafe. I just thought if someone in the armorer area had some knowledge on it maybe that could narrow it down for me.

When were your pistols manufactured? The early models did have drop safety issues and Sig made some design changes to fix them around July 2019. If your pistols were manufactured after that, there shouldn’t be any drop safety concerns. Regarding the recent claims of out of battery detonation, things are a little less clear. You’ve got some engineers saying it’s possible for a P320 to fire with the slide unlocked and others saying it isn’t possible.

Personally, I believe the recent kaboom issues are a combination of weakened casings being repeatedly reloaded and poor case head support in the barrel design, but I’m not an engineer. I work for an agency that has been issuing a variant of the P320 to close to 14k people since 2019 and the most conservative estimate I can think of for rounds fired through those guns annually is 2.8 million. That only takes into account four 50-round qual courses and accounts for no additional training conducted. A more realistic expenditure would probably be two to three times that number annually. All ammunition is factory loaded. I haven’t heard of a single instance of one of our guns blowing while being fired.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    When were your pistols manufactured? The early models did have drop safety issues and Sig made some design changes to fix them around July 2019. If your pistols were manufactured after that, there shouldn’t be any drop safety concerns. Regarding the recent claims of out of battery detonation, things are a little less clear. You’ve got some engineers saying it’s possible for a P320 to fire with the slide unlocked and others saying it isn’t possible.

Personally, I believe the recent kaboom issues are a combination of weakened casings being repeatedly reloaded and poor case head support in the barrel design, but I’m not an engineer. I work for an agency that has been issuing a variant of the P320 to close to 14k people since 2019 and the most conservative estimate I can think of for rounds fired through those guns annually is 2.8 million. That only takes into account four 50-round qual courses and accounts for no additional training conducted. A more realistic expenditure would probably be two to three times that number annually. All ammunition is factory loaded. I haven’t heard of a single instance of one of our guns blowing while being fired.

Mine were manufactured a couple of years after the drop test problems, I wasn’t an early adopter and now that you mentioned it I never thought of the weakened casings, after I unload and reload four or five times that chambered round goes into a range ammo jar. This is a great point!

User Tag List