Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio K-9s trained to detect marijuana being forced to retire

Ohio K-9s trained to detect marijuana being forced to retire

https://news.yahoo.com/ohio-k-9s-tra...Z3vKY3YqvC9oY_

I saw @UNK posted about dogs and remembered this. Sad news for a lot of dogs and handlers.

Unintended consequences.
    Taking a break from social media.

Makes sense. I’ve been told by K9 handlers that you can’t untrain a dog to stop detecting an odor. The dog can’t tell you what drug odor it’s alerting to so there are suppression issues if a dog alerts to a vehicle that ends up having marijuana in it in a jurisdiction where marijuana is legal. “Your honor, the police K9 alerted to my client’s vehicle and the subsequent search revealed marijuana in addition to the narcotics my client is charged with possessing. Marijuana is legal in this state. If the police K9 alerted to the smell of marijuana, the subsequent search was illegal and any evidence found must be suppressed.” The easiest way to rebut that argument is if you can say this dog was never trained to alert to the odor of marijuana. The NM State Police K9 officers all got new partners when NM legalized marijuana.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

We saw that issue coming long before Arizona voters legalized Marijuana. We stopped training new narc detection dogs in Marijuana before it happened. The state association had to write a new certification for dogs that weren’t trained in Marijuana. Once the dog is imprinted and trained in the odor he’s not forgetting it and you’re not training it out of him.

Most of our our patrol dogs were crossed trained in narc detection. If we did have a dog (never happened) that was trained in Marijuana after it was legalized it’d just be a single purpose patrol dog until he retired
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post

https://news.yahoo.com/ohio-k-9s-tra...Z3vKY3YqvC9oY_

I saw @UNK posted about dogs and remembered this. Sad news for a lot of dogs and handlers.
    Could be an opportunity for sure Thank You!! You know Im not a dog trainer, dont pretend to be one but one line in that article has me saying, sumthin ls not right here. Some politician is saying they “cannot retrain the dogs for something else”. 😐. I gotta call bullshit. Maybe someone who is a real life trainer or handler can chime in. Also is a single use dog really 20k?

@Coyotesfan97 already best me to it. So is that price real?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I've trained a few dogs to hunt for me. My experience is you have to start them young. I'm not seeing older dogs being trained for other drugs if they weren't trained when young.

Using the birds or drugs you want them to point (alert) should be part of their young training.

My last bird dog wouldn't point a chicken. Different scent. Probably smelled too much like people.
    Last edited by Borderland; 02-27-2024 at 09:35 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Could be an opportunity for sure Thank You!! You know Im not a dog trainer, dont pretend to be one but one line in that article has me saying, sumthin ls not right here. Some politician is saying they “cannot retrain the dogs for something else”. 😐. I gotta call bullshit. Maybe someone who is a real life trainer or handler can chime in. Also is a single use dog really 20k?

@Coyotesfan97 already best me to it. So is that price real?
    The prices of dogs have gotten crazy. I think we were paying 12-15K when I retired.

It really depends on the dog for retraining. For us our detection cross training was secondary in Mals and Dutchies trained to find people as their primary gig. If theyre Malinois single purpose drug dogs that generally means they didn’t have the right stuff as a patrol dog. If they’re breeds like Labs or other retrievers that’s not going to be an option.

You could train them as cadaver dogs or train them for S&R. They definitely have other things they could do. At the least retire them with them handler.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    The prices of dogs have gotten crazy. I think we were paying 12-15K when I retired.

It really depends on the dog for retraining. For us our detection cross training was secondary in Mals and Dutchies trained to find people as their primary gig. If theyre Malinois single purpose drug dogs that generally means they didn’t have the right stuff as a patrol dog. If they’re breeds like Labs or other retrievers that’s not going to be an option.

You could train them as cadaver dogs or train them for S&R. They definitely have other things they could do. At the least retire them with them handler.
    Funny I talked to two different companies charging stupid rates for obedience and personal protection. There are apparently clients out there with more money than sense.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I've never trained a dog for drug searches, but I have for search & rescue, barn hunt, sheds, etc. They all start being taught to alert to things like birch and anise before moving on to other scents. Dogs are pretty smart and quickly stop alerting on old training scents once you stop rewarding them for it, but I don't have to justify any of my alerts with a defense attorney...

Site Supporter
    OL

Actually, folks who prosecute are not trying to justify anything with a defense atty, only the judge/court who rules the evidentiary issue in the first instance and the finder of fact (usually a jury) in the second, to the extent applicable.

In most jurisdictions, a dog alert is probable cause that controlled substances/contraband is present. If you search is already supported by the dog hit, and then you come across somethings whose illegality is patent on its face i.e. a sawed off shotgun, that is going to be admissible too. Ergo why MJ trained dogs are being retired wholesale.

Words in this context mean things. Please consider staying in your lane.

PS- I am certain my admitted "snark" in my comment above, is at least, in part, connected to your Israel thread comments. Having said that, It chaps me a bit when folks talk about things like the law, law enforcement, medicine, science and military matters without any meaningful training/education/experience re the same and do not effectively caveat their comments before doing so.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

User Tag List