Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Working dog search

Here is an out of the ordinary working dog breed. A "Beauceron". It is a working dog originating from France.

If you desire a dog not typically known. Typically described as looking like a cross between a Doberman and a Rottweiler. They have double dewclaws sometimes referred to as wolf claws. https://nationalpurebreddogday.com/t...cent-dewclaws/

This is Xerxes.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=269724131272312

Xerxes is the sire of my son's dog Agrippa. Agrippa is just about 1 year old and coming on strong in protection work.

Agrippa.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Here is an out of the ordinary working dog breed. A "Beauceron". It is a working dog originating from France.

If you desire a dog not typically known. Typically described as looking like a cross between a Doberman and a Rottweiler. They have double dewclaws sometimes referred to as wolf claws. https://nationalpurebreddogday.com/t...cent-dewclaws/

This is Xerxes.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=269724131272312

Xerxes is the sire of my son's dog Agrippa. Agrippa is just about 1 year old and coming on strong in protection work.

Agrippa.

Thats a whole lotta dog. Re shedding the shop vac is a good tip. A friend has a golden retriever and two cats. He would turn on the ceiling fan and blow all the hair to the baseboards before vacuuming. Now he has a Rumba which vacuums daily. With all wood flooring it does a great job.
    Do you have more pics?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Im going to my first ever Schutzhund training with Eris the Doberman this weekend. Should be interesting.
    I can already see Im most likely gonna go way over my weight preference no matter which breed I go with.
    The Giant Schnauzers I just met were much larger than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Sample of one:

Our previous dog was a non-breed-standard (read: "pet grade") Doberman female that we got from the Humane Society. Absolutely a pleasure to have: even tempered, good with kids, smart. I would say she was "appropriately territorial," and listened well (ok, well enough). She shed, but not obnoxiously so (unlike our current Rotty-mix who I swear has three coats that she continuously sheds). She was about 75 lbs., which I consider a "just right" size - big enough to be visually intimidating, but light enough that I could pick her up and carry her for short distances if I needed to. And man was she fast, like "racing quality" fast; she visually had an "overdrive" that she would kick in when she was running and saw something "interesting."

I know nothing about protective training.
    Just took a relatives Doberman/Boxer for 5 days while they vacationed. Great dog and very obedient. They have two kids, 3 and 5, so no issues with kids. Dog goes twice a week to off leash daycare and does fine with other dogs. Occasionally one can get a mix breed that outshines many purebred dogs. I had a GSD/Weimaraner that was an exceptional dog and at least one with a fine pedigree that was a total idiot. The mix was free, the idiot dog with the papers was expensive. My last was also expensive but worth every dime as a working dog. Best bird dog I've ever owned.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

The Giant Schnauzers sound to be a good fit for you.

They are not a big dog ... I think of big dogs as being 140+ pounds

One of my Presa Canario's is 30' at the withers and 168 pounds .

I like larger breeds for home defense that are capable of killing 4 legged or 2 legged targets that need to be put down.

The lines our dogs come from

70 to 90 pound working dogs do nothing for me as far as Home protection needs...

The guy I got my Bandogs from in the past his dogs where on the old fear factor show Curly was the Male Joe took to be on.

Our big Male when he was still growing.
    Name:  1 year 4 mth 165 pounds (4).jpg
Views: 109
Size:  60.4 KB

Most Bandog mixes American Pitbull Terrier with a Neapolitan Mastiff.

I also have had Bandogs and a Kangal nonsense breeds that are Demons when they are in a fight.
    Curly was almost 10 years old and still a handful.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    I met two Giant Schnauzers today. That is a whole lot of dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Im going to my first ever Schutzhund training with Eris the Doberman this weekend. Should be interesting.
    I can already see Im most likely gonna go way over my weight preference no matter which breed I go with.
    The Giant Schnauzers I just met were much larger than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    The Giant Schnauzers sound to be a good fit for you.

They are not a big dog ... I think of big dogs as being 140+ pounds
    I am a Schnauzer fan. This girl was a sweetheart.

Name:  IMG_1384.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  43.1 KB

And Airedales are great, too.

I love GSDs, but will probably not get one due to shedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I am a Schnauzer fan. This girl was a sweetheart.

Name:  IMG_1384.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  43.1 KB

And Airedales are great, too.

I love GSDs, but will probably not get one due to shedding.
    They are an awesome breed and no joke for Police work and great family dogs.

Re the shedding, I posted this when my Mal was still alive. The change in diet effect on shedding and fur quality was amazing.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....=1#post1134746

When I talked with Grasso he said the guy who vacuums the police cars could tell which dogs were on his diet and which werent because of the amount of hair in the patrol cars.

As far as the Giant Schnauzers the ones Ive met were pets not working dogs but they were from a working dog line.
    I really need to meet someone who has one as a working dog. From what Ive read online the GSD is the easiest to train.
    Dobermans are one of the hardest. I assume Giant Schnauzers and Airedales having terrier in them would also be more difficult.
    Im really looking forward to this IPO training club tomorrow. They are getting ready for nationals so there should be a lot of dogs there. How much variety in Breeds remains to be seen.
    Plus the guy who is the lead trainer should be a good source of info.
    And there are two other IPO Clubs close by I can visit after nationals. hopefully. The good thing is Im not in a rush.

Site Supporter
    Maybe I'm showing my ignorance. I suggest buying a blue or red healer from a cattle rancher who's got a litter of puppies. The bossy heeler might make everybody go to bed at a certain time. You would have a good family pup not easily intimidated by an unwelcome visitor.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Maybe I'm showing my ignorance. I suggest buying a blue or red healer from a cattle rancher who's got a litter of puppies. The bossy heeler might make everybody go to bed at a certain time. You would have a good family pup not easily intimidated by an unwelcome visitor.
    There are some people who enjoy outside of the standard breeds training. They are tough dogs.

I went to an IPO private club training today. It has its merits but its not personal protection training. Its a sport. One person who worked her dog today, admitted there were dogs there that wouldnt bite unless there was a sleeve.
    That and some of the things they train are not for me.
    That said they were all very nice people. There were three breeders there I would buy a dog from any of them probably at a lot less than many known breeders.
    Last edited by UNK; 04-06-2024 at 08:21 PM.

User Tag List