Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Working dog search

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I have a GSD that I think is amazing. I got her from a breeder in Eastern Washington, Von Zobel Haus Kennels. The Dame is retired, but the Sire is still active. My dog has East German and Czech lines.

Attachment 115527
    Ive spoken with them. Those dark sables are beautiful. They are on my short list if I go GSD.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    My female GSD came from Erich Grasso. He is located in Shelton, CT and is highly regarded. His dogs are usually Czech lines. Either bred here or imported with pink papers.

https://www.grassodogtraining.com/dog_for_sale.html

When I was directed to Erich and spoke with him I immediately knew I did not need to look anywhere else.

The day we brought her home.

Fur missile incoming.

On my short list. If I dont buy from him Id be interested to learn about the diet he recommends.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Im looking for a personal protection dog or maybe a pup I havent decided yet. I have access to some good trainers if I go the pup route. Not for a bootcamp type training, group and private classes my wife and I will be actively involved.
    The two breeds Im looking at are German Shepherd and Doberman.
    If you have any input on these breeds Ill listen. Id really like the dobermans short hair and lower shedding
    Ill be looking for a female of small stature 45lbs fully grown would be perfect.
    Id like to turn the drive down a full level compared to my last dog a Mal.
    Im very concerned about the breeder. I want the dog fully tested for genetics and I prefer it to be from a proven previous breeding if possible with a lineage background German or Checz.
    This is going to be a pet thats going wherever I go including vacations.
    I met two Giant Schnauzers today. That is a whole lot of dog.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post

On my short list. If I dont buy from him Id be interested to learn about the diet he recommends.
    Erich is a big advocate of the raw diet for dogs. Aside from meats and organs he recommends green tripe and sardines packed in water. He was the person that told me about chicken backs for dogs. FYI raw chicken bones are not a problem for dogs to digest but never cooked bones! When my GSD's were really small I would put a chicken back between two layers of plastic wrap and pound them out to really break up the bones. They love them.

I've heard Erich say the proper care and nutrition you provide your dog while it might seem a little pricy will save you money in the long run.

Also do your research regarding vaccines and spaying and neutering. It was very common for Veterinarians to push owners to fix their dogs. They will even say it prevents certain types of canine cancers. Well sure if your dog doesn't have the body part it can't get it's associated cancer! Evidence is pointing strongly towards not fixing until the dog has fully matured with all it's natural hormones. It has been suggested that some of the hip and joint problems found in dogs are the result of removing needed hormones before maturity. Large breed dogs like the GSD especially the Europeen dogs are not considered fully mature until 3 years of age.

Some people are hell bent to fix female dogs before they go into their 1st heat. I think that is a terrible idea! All those old wives' tales I heard as a kid about dogs coming from miles around if your dog is in heat are total BS. I had my female out everywhere while in heat and had zero issues. I won't call this an issue but one time I was hiking in a state park with a leash requirement with my girl. A guy was running with an unleashed male Weimaraner. My girl was fully in heat and on a leash. His dog wandered over as they were running by. I took it mostly as dogs being dogs. His dog was walking next to my girl. The guy said "my dog has really taken a liking to your dog." I told him she was intact and in heat. He then replied, "Oh! We will never get them apart!" (you had to be there and experience his attitude) To which I said, "Watch this!" I gave her permission to demonstrate Velociraptor mode. He and his dog got the hint in a NY second.

Site Supporter
    Neutring dogs before they they have reached acceptable hormones and such. Is one of the most. Disservice the doggy.

For what it’s worth, the breeder of our Dachshund(s) had a spay/neuter agreement as part of the contract- it could not be done before the age of 18 months for health reasons. We had the neutering done at 20 months; the female from the same litter ( who had been one of the breeders dogs) was spayed at 2 years. Our vet was really impressed when we told them about it. These dogs have great bones and joints at 10 years age.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I don't have any experience with security dogs but I've trained a few to hunt. I've had experience with a neighbors German Shepherd. That would be my choice for a personal family dog that would guard the castle. Neighbor who is sheriffs deputy has a 80lb Rottweiler but he isn't allowed on the street. Bad mofo. That's his home life.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-04-2024 at 10:26 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

My males get vasectomies which isn't super common in the US, but is pretty normal in Europe. No affect on hormones and bouncing testes trigger dog park Karens

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post

I've known a couple K9 cops and another guy that trained Personal Protection Dogs, I honestly don't think a PPD is a good option for most people if we are thinking same thing with that phrase. But we might mean different things with that phrase, what I think makes most sense for people is more what I would call a Watchdog, an obedience trained dog that is also trained/encourage to give alert when dog notices people. If you really want effective deterrence 2 or more big or giant dogs trained as watchdog will provide it, without all the negative of a dog trained to attach people.
    This comment made me think of this video that I happened to run across during my "late night YouTube video watching session".

It's not about the dangers of a Catahoula, but rather about Stonnie Dennis and his move from more protective type breeds like those from the Working and Herding Groups to the breeds from the Sporting and Hound Groups.

At my point in life, and with my skill set, a large barker is a better option than a more territorial protective type dog. The large barker, or actually any barker, is probably going to deter the less committed criminal, but is less of a threat to the non-criminal like the postman, delivery guy, or the neighbors kid. While the protective dog can handle more threats, the committed criminal is probably just going to shoot your dog anyway.
    Last edited by JTQ; 04-05-2024 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    My males get vasectomies which isn't super common in the US, but is pretty normal in Europe. No affect on hormones and bouncing testes trigger dog park Karens
    There also is a spay procedure that preserves the female's ovaries. Again uncommon in the US.

Sample of one:

Our previous dog was a non-breed-standard (read: "pet grade") Doberman female that we got from the Humane Society. Absolutely a pleasure to have: even tempered, good with kids, smart. I would say she was "appropriately territorial," and listened well (ok, well enough). She shed, but not obnoxiously so (unlike our current Rotty-mix who I swear has three coats that she continuously sheds). She was about 75 lbs., which I consider a "just right" size - big enough to be visually intimidating, but light enough that I could pick her up and carry her for short distances if I needed to. And man was she fast, like "racing quality" fast; she visually had an "overdrive" that she would kick in when she was running and saw something "interesting."

I know nothing about protective training.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    She shed, but not obnoxiously so (unlike our current Rotty-mix who I swear has three coats that she continuously sheds).
    Sample of two GSDs. (FYI. That stands for German Shedder Dogs!)

If you get a German Shepherd Dog prepare yourself for constant and unrelenting shedding. I have never seen evidence of twice a year they "blow their coat". It is a daily thing. I'm pretty good with giving them a daily quick brushing with a undercoat rake and a wire slicker brush to grab the loose coat. What works nicely is a strong shop vacuum with the hose on the exhaust and a crevice attachment. The high speed air blast blows out a lot of loose coat. It's also handy for drying them.

Usually on weekends I will give them a more thorough brushing and finish it off with air blasting their coats. Still we vacuum the house daily.

A Dremel tool with a sanding drum is my go to for nail maintenance.

User Tag List