Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Working dog search

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Is there no one one the forum who has dobies?
    I spent a lot of time with my ex-mother-in-law’s female dobie for a number of years. That girl was 70 lbs and though she was a 10 lb lapdog 🤣

She was a wonderful dog, ok with the other dog and cat, good with family, suspicious but not an asshole with strangers, and needed less exercise than my GSDs.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    I spent a lot of time with my ex-mother-in-law’s female dobie for a number of years. That girl was 70 lbs and though she was a 10 lb lapdog 🤣

She was a wonderful dog, ok with the other dog and cat, good with family, suspicious but not an asshole with strangers, and needed less exercise than my GSDs.
    I read a lot of good things about their personalities. They are a pretty dog for sure.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

The dobie personality sounds like a good match, but most females are over 60 lb so I don't think it'll be easy finding one as small as you'd like. 45 lbs is more in line with many of the herding breeds which can still make good personal protection dogs, but they all tend to be high drive.

Have you considered a hybrid (cross of 2 purebreds rather than mutt)? Some of the designer Doberman crosses might better fit your size limit: Auberman, Beagleman, Borderman, Boxerman, etc

I want a dog thats laid back but if ever needed can be everything I want. 😁

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/do...an-dog-breeds/

https://niteguard.com/5-livestock-guardian-dog-breeds/

Duces
    A peaceful man is capable of great violence, but he keeps it under control. If a man is not capable of violence, he is not peaceful. He is just harmless. (Jordan Peterson)

Man I think I just love dogs. A giant schnauzer is probably one of my favorites just from reading about them, Ive never actually met one.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Man I think I just love dogs. A giant schnauzer is probably one of my favorites just from reading about them, Ive never actually met one.
    Douglas Barrel has had several mini schnauzers over the years as shop dogs. Cute little buggers who would bark until they knew you. One house in my patrol area had an alarm and a giant schnauzer who would tell me thru the sliding glass door that everything was OK. Totally different beasties, the giant variant has teeth like a leopard and apparently a disposition to match when agitated.

Of all things, a family I know has a pair of Pudelpointers, about the size you want, trainable, great bird dogs and friendly once they know you. The two young Jehovah’s Witness who got a good look at the bitey end of the older doggo thru the kitchen door decided to take the news about our savior elsewhere that day. Some of the hunting breeds can make good companions.

Name:  IMG_5408.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  60.5 KB

Pictured is my wife’s new rescue getting a bite of burger from nana.
    53% GSD/ 12% Pit/ 10% Boxer / 10% Walker Coonhound / 10% “Super Mutt” / 5% Rottweiler according to Embark. We’re working on obedience but she’s already a sweetheart, though she can do the GSD/Rott stare (and a coonhound howl) I doubt anyone will hassle my wife when walking her. At nearly 70# she’s a bit bigger than your dog-spec but can curl up into a surprisingly compact package.

We "dog sat" a Min Pin a few years ago. Obnoxious little dog. It might have been the training it received. It insisted on wanting to sleep in our bed and scratched on the bedroom door all night. It wasn't polite anywhere in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    We "dog sat" a Min Pin a few years ago. Obnoxious little dog. It might have been the training it received. It insisted on wanting to sleep in our bed and scratched on the bedroom door all night. It wasn't polite anywhere in the house.
    Just visited a Min Pin. The dog was a little asshole. He wasn’t friendly to another very nice dog, and he nipped my hand. Totally in character for the breed IME.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

My only Doberman experience was during Christmas break, 1980. A girl friend invited me to her parents’ lovely vacation home in the Pocono mountains, and it was then that I met the Doberman from hell. She and her parents warned me not to touch his rubber newspaper, but the dog would drop it at my feet and growl. This went on all weekend, until I decided to show this dog who was king of the jungle. While wearing very heavy boots, I kicked that stupid toy as fast as humanly possible. Well, the Doberman had been waiting for me to take the bait, and he clamped down so hard, I was certain my foot was broken! The father was a dentist, and went on about the PSI a Doberman was capable of producing. It felt much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    It seems like a poodle is nonthreatening to strangers. It's sort of the "lever action" dog.
    Chuck and Cami like your analogy

They are just companions, but they watch out for us. Chuck (~85 pounds) makes sure nobody sneaks up on us, and Cami (~60 pounds, crazy prey drive) makes sure no squirrels get inside the perimeter.

Name:  Chuck and Cami 022924.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  75.6 KB

User Tag List