Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Working dog search

My female GSD came from Erich Grasso. He is located in Shelton, CT and is highly regarded. His dogs are usually Czech lines. Either bred here or imported with pink papers.

https://www.grassodogtraining.com/dog_for_sale.html

When I was directed to Erich and spoke with him I immediately knew I did not need to look anywhere else.

The day we brought her home.

Fur missile incoming.

Last edited by JohnO; 02-27-2024 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    ...and lower shedding
    ... a female of small stature 45lbs fully grown would be perfect.
    Airedale, perhaps https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/airedale-terrier/

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    I'm on my third mutt from the humane society. First was a shepard/lab/whatever mix, 75lb male. Then I had kids and wanted something smaller with less fur (shepard had grocery bags full of fur when I brushed him). I started out trying to contact breeders for a small female lab. I couldn't handle the breeder nonsense where I had to prove how great I would be for the dog. They wanted down payments for future litters and dogs were $800-$1000.

Got about a 55lb female mountain cur from the humane society. Have had her for about ten years. Great dog. Third dog is about a 45 lb female black lab/something/something. All have been trainable and great dogs. The second two were a year-ish old when I got them (had adult teeth, but no one really knows age). Seem to be young enough where you can trust them, train them easily and you miss some amount of puppy bullshit. Seemed to be housebroken in about 2 weeks.

Being a little older I have some idea of how big they will be when fully grown, my vet checks out their hips and you can actually return them. They don't have insurance issues and baggage of being breeds that are thought of as aggressive (as long as you can find one that doesn't look like a pit bull). I feel like I have a decent idea of their personality when visiting them in the shelter, and I wouldn't have that from puppy. You have to be a little bit patient and drive to some shelters/rescues and pick one that seems friendly.

They aren't super cheap around here considering they are a rescue, but they have all their shots and are fixed for about $350. Spend the difference on training.

If I was a hardcore bird hunter I'd consider a purebred birddog from a breeder, otherwise I'm not sure I see the point.

I work in a hospital and volunteers bring in super well trained dogs to visit, most are just mutts. What do you really want the dog to do?
    Protection and pet. Just got off the phone with the breeder and trainer of my last dog. He knows of two dogs that need to be placed one was a privately owned police dog with multiple disciplines and the other is a pet owned gsd by a lady who is getting too old to have it. Im not in a rush It will be later this year before Im ready for the dog.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Flamingo View Post
    I have a GSD that I think is amazing. I got her from a breeder in Eastern Washington, Von Zobel Haus Kennels. The Dame is retired, but the Sire is still active. My dog has East German and Czech lines.

Attachment 115527
    Nice! thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    My female GSD came from Erich Grasso. He is located in Shelton, CT and is highly regarded. His dogs are usually Czech lines. Either bred here or imported with pink papers.

https://www.grassodogtraining.com/dog_for_sale.html

When I was directed to Erich and spoke with him I immediately knew I did not need to look anywhere else.

The day we brought her home.

Fur missile incoming.

Another good looking dog thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    I have looked at the terriers in the past even went to dog shows and met with multiple breeders. At the end of the day their comments on the nature of terriers made me decide to pass. Thanks for the input though it is appreciated.

Is there no one one the forum who has dobies?

Site Supporter
    Is there no one one the forum who has dobies?
    My brother has one. She is a princess, well bred and pampered.

My neighbor has a large male. He is very impressive.

I have never had one.

Nice! thanks for the link

Another good looking dog thanks for the link.

I have looked at the terriers in the past even went to dog shows and met with multiple breeders. At the end of the day their comments on the nature of terriers made me decide to pass. Thanks for the input though it is appreciated.
    Terriers are awesome as part of a mix. It gives them durability and spunk, and the mixing smooths out the temper.

My 45# protector doesn’t have any terrier in her, I don’t suppose, but she’s usually got a half terrier on her:
    Name:  IMG_4169.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  70.9 KB
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Terriers are awesome as part of a mix. It gives them durability and spunk, and the mixing smooths out the temper.

My 45# protector doesn’t have any terrier in her, I don’t suppose, but she’s usually got a half terrier on her:
    Name:  IMG_4169.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  70.9 KB
    Ahhh those dogs are living the good life.😎 My wife is next to me as we are looking at dogs. Shes pretty sure we need two dogs.😂 For sure Im not disparaging anyones choice I know theres a dog for everyone. I was looking at the Kerry Blues and the Wheaton. Im a big fan of off leash I guess in some peoples opinion that puts me right up there with open carriers. Recall is critical the breeders I talked to said it wasnt a trait that terriers were strong on. If I could find a low drive Mal my search would be over but thats kind of like finding a calm meth head.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    I'm on my third mutt from the humane society. First was a shepard/lab/whatever mix, 75lb male. Then I had kids and wanted something smaller with less fur (shepard had grocery bags full of fur when I brushed him). I started out trying to contact breeders for a small female lab. I couldn't handle the breeder nonsense where I had to prove how great I would be for the dog. They wanted down payments for future litters and dogs were $800-$1000.

Got about a 55lb female mountain cur from the humane society. Have had her for about ten years. Great dog. Third dog is about a 45 lb female black lab/something/something. All have been trainable and great dogs. The second two were a year-ish old when I got them (had adult teeth, but no one really knows age). Seem to be young enough where you can trust them, train them easily and you miss some amount of puppy bullshit. Seemed to be housebroken in about 2 weeks.

Being a little older I have some idea of how big they will be when fully grown, my vet checks out their hips and you can actually return them. They don't have insurance issues and baggage of being breeds that are thought of as aggressive (as long as you can find one that doesn't look like a pit bull). I feel like I have a decent idea of their personality when visiting them in the shelter, and I wouldn't have that from puppy. You have to be a little bit patient and drive to some shelters/rescues and pick one that seems friendly.

They aren't super cheap around here considering they are a rescue, but they have all their shots and are fixed for about $350. Spend the difference on training.

If I was a hardcore bird hunter I'd consider a purebred birddog from a breeder, otherwise I'm not sure I see the point.

I work in a hospital and volunteers bring in super well trained dogs to visit, most are just mutts. What do you really want the dog to do?
    Pretty much what the breeder and trainer of my last dog told me was an option. The internet is great it gives you so many options that would be much harder to find out about in pre net days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Start and maybe end with Dog Shows.

Take a Camera and attend some local/regional dog shows, if you see a dog you like looks or behavior of after they do round in front of the judge ask handler/owner if you can take a picture of their dog.

In my personal experience not only do they say yes, but they are extremely pleased and flattered.

Those people also make excellent resources for learning more about dogs in general and their breed in particular.

I probably wouldn't mention you are looking for a serious personal protection dog, at least at first, anymore than I'd talk about CCW to random people.

But if you can honestly say you want a dog for companionship and watchdog I don't think that would go wrong.

I've known a couple K9 cops and another guy that trained Personal Protection Dogs, I honestly don't think a PPD is a good option for most people if we are thinking same thing with that phrase. But we might mean different things with that phrase, what I think makes most sense for people is more what I would call a Watchdog, an obedience trained dog that is also trained/encourage to give alert when dog notices people. If you really want effective deterrence 2 or more big or giant dogs trained as watchdog will provide it, without all the negative of a dog trained to attach people.

I strongly recommend book that K9 cop I knew in college via Tae Kwon Doe class, he asked us college guys to help training as aggressors, recommended to me when I asked for resources https://www.amazon.com/Effective-Aut.../dp/0876055528
    I want a dog thats laid back but if ever needed can be everything I want. Theres hardly anything as fun as working with a dog. Well Id put shooting trap with a .22 up there pretty close. And boobies. 😁

User Tag List