Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Working dog search

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    I am a Schnauzer fan. This girl was a sweetheart.

Attachment 116995

And Airedales are great, too.

I love GSDs, but will probably not get one due to shedding.
    Did you train her yourself?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    ... I think of big dogs as being 140+ pounds
    One of my Presa Canario's is 30' at the withers and 168 pounds .h
    I like larger breeds for home defense that are capable of killing 4 legged or 2 legged targets that need to be put down.
    70 to 90 pound working dogs do nothing for me as far as Home protection needs...
    You obviously have a lot of experience. I watched a dog turn on its trainer, this guy was by all rights pretty highly experienced. That was enough to make me leary of big dogs.
    A fight with a dog is a fight you cant loose.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Did you train her yourself?
    Oh, no, the leg in the picture next to her was her owner/trainer. I was just super impressed with her, and have met quite a few great Giants in my life. I have owned several Minis. They are great, but the Giants are a different experience.

You obviously have a lot of experience. I watched a dog turn on its trainer, this guy was by all rights pretty highly experienced. That was enough to make me leary of big dogs.
    A fight with a dog is a fight you cant loose.
    Size has nothing to do with dogs attacking their owners.
    I would bet that more smaller dogs have attacked their owners more than larger breeds have.

I am not scared of dogs or other humans my biggest fear is public speaking.
    I love dogs more than most people I meet but trying to attack me is a big no go in my head.

The breeds we own are very loving towards family members not good with strangers.
    I did not get them to bring to dog parks or have the whole world be friends with them.

No one in my neighborhood ever sees them that much I don't live my life parading around with them to show I am a tough guy.
    I would take a bullet trying to protect anyone in my family dogs included.

They are serious dogs just like a loaded weapon ... I never put them in bad situations that's why we have never had problems.

You seem like a good guy ... I hope you find the right dog!

I learned a long time ago when every now and then I got a dog that did not turn out to be a great home protection dog like most we have owned ... but I love him and cried when he passed.
    One of the best dogs we ever had was a chocolate Lab that someone dumped down the road from us... we took her and made her part of the pack ...she was probably 4 when we took her in, we had her another 10 years.
    My God I was a basket case when we had to put her down.
    Name:  00-MXjWpq7Sc-xTMsWY6Mcp3P6Nufk8CncjKRrbi84MQ_XaALfhbPcKo0IoKj0vXzAuKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  93.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mitchum View Post
    Size has nothing to do with dogs attacking their owners.
    Name:  00-MXjWpq7Sc-xTMsWY6Mcp3P6Nufk8CncjKRrbi84MQ_XaALfhbPcKo0IoKj0vXzAuKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  93.8 KB
    Im not saying it affects the odds, Im talking about surviving it.

I want to thank everybody who participated, for all the suggestions and recommendations. I did indeed talk to several of the kennels mentioned in the thread.
    I ended up putting a deposit on a Giant Schnauzer pup. Breeder is Garrett Furgeson.
    https://www.workinggiantschnauzer.co...RM7SstO_nlGQS0

Seems like the breed hits everything I wanted in a dog. Plus hes not breeding huge GS. Female is supposed to be
    60-65 lbs aprox. Little bigger than I wanted but even female German Shepherds bred to German standards are about that size.

Site Supporter
    I want to thank everybody who participated, for all the suggestions and recommendations. I did indeed talk to several of the kennels mentioned in the thread.
    I ended up putting a deposit on a Giant Schnauzer pup. Breeder is Garrett Furgeson.
    https://www.workinggiantschnauzer.co...RM7SstO_nlGQS0

Seems like the breed hits everything I wanted in a dog. Plus hes not breeding huge GS. Female is supposed to be
    60-65 lbs aprox. Little bigger than I wanted but even female German Shepherds bred to German standards are about that size.
    That’s awesome! I’m excited for you - Giant Schnauzer is on my short list for the dog we get after we move.

User Tag List