Thread: J-Frame Thumbpiece Pain.

J-Frame Thumbpiece Pain.

The thumb piece on a J-Frame will chew up my thumb if there is any more recoil than a 22. I noticed the smooth lines of the Taurus 856, which does not hurt me. I have a Dremel and I'm not afraid to use it. Initial shots seem to have improved the problem. I'm not sure if I'm done grinding or not. This is on a 442. I'll probably try it on my AirLite 38.

Name:  IMG_1091.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  35.7 KB

Well done.

Im somewhat surprised when various people are reluctant to modify a common, in production or not particularly rare gun to make it function better or be more user friendly, even to the point of getting rid of said gun rather than fix whatever the problem is.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Can’t wait to see it finished and installed!

You've inspired me. Mine beats me up everytime. I hae a dremel and cold blue. I think I'll follow suit!
    For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4 KJV

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Well done.

Im somewhat surprised when various people are reluctant to modify a common, in production or not particularly rare gun to make it function better or be more user friendly, even to the point of getting rid of said gun rather than fix whatever the problem is.
    Indeed.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I did the same thing on a 442 Pro, though not quite as drastic. I'll have to dig up the pics I've posted before.

Oddly enough, my 60-10 doesn't bite me like the 442, even with .357 Mag loads.

Name:  IMG_1130.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  38.1 KB

I did a couple more of these J-Frame thumb latches. The originals eat my thumb. One is in the white and the other has been cold blued.

I left the latch on the revolver to hold it and masked heavily plus pulled a rubber glove up over the action.

Much easier on my thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    Name:  IMG_1130.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  38.1 KB

I left the latch on the revolver to hold it and masked heavily plus pulled a rubber glove up over the action.
    I find an appropriately sized screw and nut... something that the head of the screw will fit inside and below flush with the thumbpiece, then tighten the nut on the back side to hold it firm, then clamp it in a small vise for the work. I clean up the checkering with needle files, then cold blue.

ETA: I also use blue locktite on the stud/nut that holds it onto the revolver, after I had a couple instances of them coming loose over time.

Quote Originally Posted by WDR View Post
    I find an appropriately sized screw and nut... something that the head of the screw will fit inside and below flush with the thumbpiece, then tighten the nut on the back side to hold it firm, then clamp it in a small vise for the work. I clean up the checkering with needle files, then cold blue.

ETA: I also use blue locktite on the stud/nut that holds it onto the revolver, after I had a couple instances of them coming loose over time.

Nice refinement and clean-up work.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

User Tag List