Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If you knew you had to operate dominant hand only....

Site Supporter
    Been there but with having to use nondominant hand, before RDS days. Glock 19 with a 15 round mag (in TX), OWB at 3:00 o'clock with edges so you could rack on it. One spare mag on the same side as gun, in back of it. Thus, could put empty gun in holster, get mag, put in holstered gun, use slide release.

NPE or dress days - 642 in pocket, reload - forget it in real time. Still carried a speed strip. Today, it would be my G26, same set up.

I could shoot decently with my nondominant hand. Took LFI-1 Stress fire as I was scheduled and did OK.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Glock 26 with standard magazine or Colt Police Positive 38 Spl 4 inch.

Site Supporter
    I would keep things the same but would work out a procedure for a reload and dry practice it.

Same thoughts for clearing malfunctions.

When my wife broke her humerus last summer, she started shooting strong hand only two days after the injury. She did this for two months. It really tuned up her trigger control and recoil mechanics, and helped her level up with two hands after she was back to using both.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I would think a quick access BUG* would be even more critical (unless malfunction/unseated or dropped or base plate launched magazine can quickly be rectified SHO)

*BUG likely should be a revolver as small semi's.....well ya know....
    I did that when I was WHO for a while.

If it happened to me now and I was SHO, this would be my plan:
    -Either my trusty Beretta or G19 AIWB, because lots of bullets. Spare mag at 3 o'clock, bullets pointed backward, because that orientation works for me for an in holster SHO reload.
    -BUG in right front pocket.

The other option I would strongly consider would be:
    -One in right front pocket
    -@SouthNarc PCP pistol in right rear pocket. If you're forced to hand shit over, you've got a great excuse to be moving your strong hand a lot.

Guns aside, there's a reason they put pockets on both sides of clothes. Having access to only one side blows goats. While injured was the only time I wore a vest with lots of pockets. Also, putting on pants and belt takes a lot of work.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

It's an issue I'm probably going to face this summer with trigger finger surgery on my dominant hand. Current plan is to pocket carry in my LH pocket. The question is which gun will I use, as I have 3 options:
    -Shield 1.0 w/ CT laser
    -Sig P239
    -S&W Model 10 snub
    Of the 3, I'm leaning most to the Shield, as the laser is a bit of a help for my eyes that don't like the irons anymore. However, I'll probably give all 3 a go at the range WHO before I get things cut on.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

My P250c, with a mag holder aft of my pistol. BUG in Dominant side pocket.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    After a few stages of WHO/SHO at my local defensive pistol matches I learned sometimes my grip is not enough to keep my G26 from double feeding/jamming. I dug out my grip-strengthening devices and try to use them a few times weekly.

If I could only shoot SHO I think I'd carry my 686(7 rounds of 38 special wadcutters) AIWB, and my 43c in my right front pocket. This reminds me I need an Engima compatible holster for my 686.
    --Jason--

I've always preferred carrying a pair of guns whenever possible, whether primary and BUG or matching primaries that would still be my preference if limited to single functional arm/hand.

Like KevH says I think opting for lesser recoil and more capacity worth consideration, though I wouldn't consider swapping out a revolver if that was my current primary.

I'd probably just add a gun or two. But that's my default response anyway, I prefer a 2nd gun to even one reload.

For me personally I would probably just try to add 1 or 2 guns accessible to what hand was going to be working during this. I have practiced one handed reloading of DA revolvers a fair bit but found it works best if you can set gun down on something. Never practice one handed loading with pistols much, more concerned about malfunctions than reloading with pistol. And dropping gun that doesn't go bang and drawing next one is hands down winner over one handed malf clearance or reloading in real world IMVHO. Cover garments & etc make lot of square range one handed pistol drills problematic.

Depending on physical issue(s) I'd probably go good arm side pocket plus crossdraw and/or ankle. But I would be fine with 2nd or 3rd gun being smaller than I'd usually carry, or even smaller primary gun if I had to. Had buddy that went through shoulder surgery that only carried 22 rimfire auto till he recovered from surgery instead of his normal 1911 or big bore revolver.

I think this is possibly a very good niche for 5.7 pistols, low recoil + high capacity with far more reliability than rimfire.

I have also used specific types of offbody to compliment pocket carry, and if I am obviously down to one arm (ie cast etc) I could possibly carry a bigger offbody gun in a bigger bag without anyone suspecting that.

I have a Safepacker https://www.thewilderness.com/safepa...lment-holster/ I specifically bought for Glock 29. If I was in your situation I would probably get another one or two of correct size for my favorite service size pistol or revolver, for fullsize offbody carry to compliment pocket or whatever on me.

My most often carried offbody guns have been Glock29SF or S&W 629 w 4" barrel. I actually carried the 44 more than the 10mm, the 44 is most often carried with CCI/Speer 44 special 200 grain GDHP but part of what I liked so much about the 629 is major performance change is only a speedloader away to Federal 300 Castcore (hardcast factory LBTish bullet) if needed for a critter or whatever or 44 magnum 210 STHP as a step up from normal handgun calibers.

Another idea for offbody gun in situation like this is taking preferred service type holster, with some type of retention that I can reliably work with one hand, and just secure it inside a normal decent bag. If using a balck service pstol and black service retention holster inside a black bag with flap you could have hand on gun in some situations.

Same as my current preferences in revolvers and autos but with more thought to guns that tangle less when clearing the cover shirt with only one hand. Possibly put up the 2" model 10 for a while as it isn't as easy to tuck a Barami away single-handed as a discrete AIWB holster.

My pocket revolver might get upgraded to a Charter Arms Bulldog outside of NPEs. The wide-open charge holes are pretty easy to stick bullet noses in. This would also be a great place for a S&W Bodyguard .38 as the cylinder release is very easy to use single-handed while the slick left side leaves room for reloading.

My reloads would change, though. I'd lose the support-side speedloader and stick exclusively with my 2x2x2 pouch. And my usual support side fixed-blade would be replaced by a strong side Ka-Bar on my personal time.

User Tag List