Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you knew you had to operate dominant hand only....

Site Supporter
    My first option would be to put a light on my 19.5 to add a little weight to it. Not sure if this would help, but I'd give it a try just to see. I also have a 432PD in .32H&R, which would be great from a recoil perspective but not great from a capacity perspective. Honestly, I might also consider a Glock 44. The first one I had experienced a few malfunctions over the first few hundred rounds, but I don't recall any problems after ~500 rounds. For me to do this, it'd need to be a decently vetted pistol (which I don't have at the moment). I know the terminal ballistics of the .22LR leave much to be desired, so this would be a near last option for me. I need to practice more single handed shooting.

I write lefty, so, using that criteria, I would probably opt for the Glock G17, Gen4 or Gen5. Gen3 would be a step down, in fitting my hands, and the larger grip volume makes the Gen3 better handled with two hands, in my personal case. Easy answer. Done. I am functionally “ambidextrous” with handguns, but do have a lefty bias with Glock pistols, tending to group better lefty than righty, when shooting a target with scoring rings. The G17 pistols I have vetted are extremely unlikely to malfunction, even when I have shot them with my gimpy right hand. Historically, full-sized duty autos are more reliable than miniaturized autos. Few civilian gun fights will require more cartridges than are present, inside a G17 magazine. I can dress around a G17 well enough. When I still had G19 pistols, I usually left them at home, in favor of carrying a G17, because I shot the G17 more accurately, and they were equally difficult to conceal. The drape of my outer garment would normally clear the G17-length grip. Whether G19 or G17, the part that printed has normally been the outer rear corner of the slide, which is dimensionally the same, with either weapon.

In my personal case, in addition to the above factors, I have numerous reps with Glock “sim” guns, over the years, during some high-quality training, including force-on-force during ECQC in 2005 and 2006, a quite well-thought-out Active Shooter program a few years before a I retired from the PD, and a memorable hit, firing lefty, on a role player during a high-stress scenario that involved a felony stop gone bad. Those actual hits build confidence in a way that no paper-punching or ringing steel can match.

Yes, I am a “revolver guy,” but, one-hand reloading of revolvers is considerably more challenging than reloading with both hands functional. For this exercise, I am assuming that my support hand is immobile, unable to even handle an individual cartridge. I am also assuming that wearing 3+ revolvers is going against the spirit of the scenario.

Notably, as I type this, my right hand is wearing a wrist splint. I do not wear a splint full-time, mostly while sleeping, typing for long periods of time, or while driving long distances, and my fingers and thumb have considerable mobility, but, this experience does provide me with regular opportunities to be “left-hand-mostly.”

Trivia warning: Those who know me will know that I still carry “primary” at 0300, but that dates from the time I chose to carry on my right side, because I throw right-handed. Drawing the then-mandated, heavy S&W L-Frame from the then-mandated low-slung duty rig, seemed more natural when done right-handed, during my time in the police academy. Speed-loading a DA revolver is more efficient when done in right-hander mode. When I patrolled, usually alone, for 33+ plus years, the right hip was more accessible than the left hip. So, I am conditioned to carry at 0300. Even so, I have always written lefty, and used a fork lefty, and, in my grandpa mode years, my right hand and shoulder are going gimpy, so, “strong” hand does mean lefty, even if I cling to wearing a holster at ~0300.

Edited to add: I have already have lefty and righty holsters that work fine, but might want to upgrade to the newest version of the JMCK OWB, left-hand, to accommodate my Gen5 G17, as well as my Gen4 Glocks.
    Last edited by Rex G; 03-05-2024 at 08:27 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Left shoulder surgery=one handed shooting by primary…

As others here, I had left arm immobilized after an accident and surgery. I was shooting irons then and just generally stuck with my then Gen4 Glock 19. Single mag pouch behind gun&holster. A reload I did at an IALEFI side match was as I’d been taught at Rogers: mag dumped, gun between knees upside down, new mag in, run slide forward by knee pressure/punching forward. These days I’d use an extended lever with my right thumb and holster before the load. Thinking about this a bit further, I might drop a little handgun in the strong side pocket as backup- I’d have to experiment and see about practicality. Streamlight has a frame button TLR7 now; I have however successfully run the standard switch with my trigger finger(carefully). This is where I can see another argument for a pistolWML.
    Would probably stick with a dot, as I’ve run strong hand strings with no issues I can recall(thanks again,Bill Rogers). I would definitely do dry practice to sort things out, get comfortable and improve proficiency. Confirm with live fire,e.g., the shooting hand string on the 5yd Roundup, single shot draws to a 7 yard target, plate rack carefully @10-but I do that now.
    Probably an important thing to think about is adjusting your awareness and planning now that one is one wing down. Just because you’re down one doesn’t mean you’re out…
    Best of luck. Remember, a lot of folks successfully defended themselves shooting and hitting one handed for a couple of centuries or so.

Another thought: If I were not, already, wearing my holster at or a bit forward of the hip, OWB, I might want to wear an OWB holster there, specifically for the job of holding the pistol in a convenient and expedient place for doing one-handed mag changes. For example, if I were carrying in the classic behind-the-hip position, for conventional IWB, I might want to wear another holster forward of that rig, to facilitate one-handed reloads. Kydex does not weigh much. Of course, for those so disposed, a second pistol can be in that second holster.

Another-er thought: I have not quite yet persuaded myself to full-time-carry a pistol with an electronic sight, but, the ACRO that I have, attached to a milled G45 slide, is such a wonderful gadget for facilitating one-handed slide manipulations, that in the event of a total gimpification of my right hand, I may well feel the push that I need to dress baggier, around my G19x/G45/ACRO set-up.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

I'm thinking a mp 2.0 with thumb safety. I want added margin when drawing or when holstering so the safety is a compromise. The trigger is a compromise as well, I really like LEM but it is a harder trigger to shoot one handed. Since having my hand surgery and losing part of a joint, I have started to examine my pistol choices and explore what's best in my new reality.

Both of my hands are currently working ok. But I wouldn’t change anything from my current setup. I assume there’s a significant chance I’ll need my support hand for something else, like holding a light, opening a door, managing a VIP, or defending my head.

Glock with SCD and P-07/decocker work great SHO. I know we argue about this constantly, but I wouldn’t choose a thumb safety —especially for single handed use.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

My weak side arm is currently in a sling from shoulder surgery 3 weeks ago. The sling comes off on April 4, but how long my weak arm will be practically useless is an unknown.

My carry gun is a .327 LCR loaded with Federal .32 HRM 85gr JHP, pocket carried front pocket strong side, backed up with a .22 LR LCP II loaded with Federal Punch, pocket carried back pocket strong side.

The LCR is more forgiving of a compromised one-handed grip when hastily drawn in self-defense.

I’d likely go with a 92 or 92 Compact with a good ledge sight.

My opinions / experiences:

1. When clean and properly lubed, it’s the semi I trust the most.
    1A. Particularly less prone to any limp wristing.
    2. Comes with a fairly light recoil spring to allow for easier one handed racking if needed.
    3. Can manipulate the slide quite a bit due to light spring and slide shape.

YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Both of my hands are currently working ok. But I wouldn’t change anything from my current setup. I assume there’s a significant chance I’ll need my support hand for something else, like holding a light, opening a door, managing a VIP, or defending my head.

Glock with SCD and P-07/decocker work great SHO. I know we argue about this constantly, but I wouldn’t choose a thumb safety —especially for single handed use.

^agreed with cluster. .manual safety is 100% a compromise and if you do use one, make sure it's a ambi you can reach and use one handed!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

I do not find that a well-designed extended thumb safety on a 1911 to be a compromise. However, reading various posts here has left me with the impression that few if any gun makers have fully managed to duplicate that level of ease of use with their thumb safeties. Is this impression correct?
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List