Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: If you knew you had to operate dominant hand only....

If you knew you had to operate dominant hand only....

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I do not find that a well-designed extended thumb safety on a 1911 to be a compromise. However, reading various posts here has left me with the impression that few if any gun makers have fully managed to duplicate that level of ease of use with their thumb safeties. Is this impression correct?
    I broke a 1911 ambi safety on my carry gun. Most of the designs rely on a flimsy wedge joint. That was one reason I moved to Glock. The other was BBIs stats on safeties in gunfights.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I broke a 1911 ambi safety on my carry gun. Most of the designs rely on a flimsy wedge joint. That was one reason I moved to Glock. The other was BBIs stats on safeties in gunfights.
    Very good point.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    My P250c, with a mag holder aft of my pistol. BUG in Dominant side pocket.
    It occurred to me that, if my non-functional hand were in a sling, I might also devise a way to store a tertiary weapon, such as my Kahr K9 or a snag-free revolver, in the sling...if it were secure and accessible enough.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I’d likely go with a 92 or 92 Compact with a good ledge sight.

My opinions / experiences:

1. When clean and properly lubed, it’s the semi I trust the most.
    1A. Particularly less prone to any limp wristing.
    2. Comes with a fairly light recoil spring to allow for easier one handed racking if needed.
    3. Can manipulate the slide quite a bit due to light spring and slide shape.

YMMV.
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    ^agreed with cluster. .manual safety is 100% a compromise and if you do use one, make sure it's a ambi you can reach and use one handed!
    This reminds me, I should clarify, my 92s are Gs, so no safeties.

Should I be surprised at how many responses to this thread mention the word "Glock?"

G17.4

Kabar backup.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

King's/EGW FTW.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

If people train to a high level with a manual safety it isn't a big deal.. no one questions them on carbines but yet...

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    If people train to a high level with a manual safety it isn't a big deal.. no one questions them on carbines but yet...
    Entangled fights in civilian defense seem more common than for most carbine applications.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Entangled fights in civilian defense seem more common than for most carbine applications.
    That is true but I have seen people advocate for their usefulness in those situations also (not all bad guys turn off the ms if they get the gun away from you) I see both sides, 100%. Knife is a good stand by just in case

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    Should I be surprised at how many responses to this thread mention the word "Glock?"

G17.4

Kabar backup.
    Maybe, a little, since there have been issues with limp wristing, as well as over sprung Gen 4 9mms. I say this as the owner of a fully limp wrist vetted G19.4. But mine is a later model.

User Tag List