Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you knew you had to operate dominant hand only....

If you knew you had to operate dominant hand only....

Just posing this thought question, I am sure some like me have experienced it before. For medical reasons I am likely facing it again for a while.

Everybody with any smarts does dominant and non-dominant hand only practice routinely. Performance is degraded, recoil recovery is generally slower, etc. We have discussed the wisdom of having a non-dominant hand holster in case of injury or temporary incapacitation of the dominant hand.

But what if you knew you were going to be limited to dominant hand only shooting for a period of 90 days?

What would your weapon platform of choice be? What gun, what cartridge, any change in holsters or particular holster you would gravitate to? If you are a dot shooter now, would you dump the dot for a while (degraded index?)? And of course why or what your chief concerns/reasons for that choice.

I am asking from the context of concealed carry.
    Support the Second Amendment Foundation and the Firearms Policy Coalition, join and give!

The same G19.5 in JM IWB#3 that’s my current edc. I perform better with it SHO than anything else I’ve tried. In fact, one of my criteria for edc is how well I perform with it SHO, getting a second hand on the pistol is just a bonus.

Fwiw, I remain quite cheerfully Amish in my non-dot life.

I sorta been there, done that. It's what caused me to switch to a Glock 17.

Before becoming a K9 handler I always carried 45 ACP, typically a 1911. Once I became a dog handler I realized fairly quickly that there was a high probability my left hand wouldn't be free and that reloads would be a bitch.

I wanted the lightest, lightest recoiling gun, that held the most bullets that would be easy to operate with one hand. I switched to the Gen3 Glock 17 with a Surefire X300 with a DG switch.

It worked out really well for that task.

This is one of those situations that might drive me back to a semi-auto from the revolver I currently often carry. I would buy a mag pouch that carries a spare mag on the dominant side, along with the pistol accessible to the dominant hand. Depending on what your current EDC is, might have to prioritize some tools. Ultimately, I’d carry whatever you shoot best SHO.

Site Supporter
    Same choices I make now, but I would focus on higher magazine capacity and choose a Glock 19 over a 26 more often, and might use the 12 round magazines for my P365 instead of 10.

Although I am fortunate enough not to have my shooting limited by a medical condition yet (that could always change), all of us who have had small children at any point in our lives have had to contemplate dominant hand only shooting as we control children with the weak hand.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I would think a quick access BUG* would be even more critical (unless malfunction/unseated or dropped or base plate launched magazine can quickly be rectified SHO)

*BUG likely should be a revolver as small semi's.....well ya know....

I would stick with a J-Frame in my pocket like I do for EDC now. Those new-fangled auto pistols will jam on you.

Site Supporter
    I'd want high capacity and an extra layer of safety for getting the gun in a holster, and possibly a WML.

If it happened today I'd feel ok walking out the door with my EDC G19 with an SCD and no light though.

I would not want to be holstering a striker gun with no safety backup parachute. If I carried spare magazines (I know many don't. I usually carry 1) I might want a manual safety or DA SA for an extra layer of safety for one handed reloading and malfunction clearing if it came to that.

I went through this several years ago with shoulder surgery on my smart hand side. It seemed simple, detachable magazine of fair capacity, familiar with it, use holster that allows putting the gun in after dropping empty mag and putting a fresh mag in it while its in the holster. Draw, drop slide, drive on.

Im primarily a revolver guy, but the difference in reloading one handed is profound, not to mention how often one would have to reload a revolver compared to a single g19 mag.

The little plastic mag loaders glock used to give with the gun works to load mags one handed. I could hold the mag between my knees on the bed or chair, put the loader thing on and load it one handed. Not something youd want to do in a hurry but works to load mags without help.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Just posing this thought question, I am sure some like me have experienced it before. For medical reasons I am likely facing it again for a while.

Everybody with any smarts does dominant and non-dominant hand only practice routinely. Performance is degraded, recoil recovery is generally slower, etc. We have discussed the wisdom of having a non-dominant hand holster in case of injury or temporary incapacitation of the dominant hand.

But what if you knew you were going to be limited to dominant hand only shooting for a period of 90 days?

What would your weapon platform of choice be? What gun, what cartridge, any change in holsters or particular holster you would gravitate to? If you are a dot shooter now, would you dump the dot for a while (degraded index?)? And of course why or what your chief concerns/reasons for that choice.

I am asking from the context of concealed carry.
    Well, not exactly your question but 100% related: I had surgery on my dominant hand and wrist due to a sports industry and was going to be down for 9 weeks so I decided on the j frame and trained like hell with my non dominant hand and carried one airweight in pocket and one airweight AIWB in a left handed galco stow and go because I knew reloads were out of the question.

User Tag List