Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Archon Type-B: First Fifty

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    And now this pistol has been removed from my to buy list because I just ordered one. KYGunCo has them for about $750 (free shipping), which is cheaper than I could have gotten it on Gunbroker. I will report back on my impressions.
    That’s a damn good deal. I paid $700 for mine, used. Honestly… probably should have just sprung for a new one, at that price. Nevertheless, I’m very happy with mine. I think you’ll love how it shoots.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

The part explaining the "tendon depressor" was interesting and worth the article. What a strange design element.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    ...the "tendon depressor" was...a strange design element.

It is certainly unique.

Didn't Caspian (or maybe EGW?) used to make a 1911 grip safety with a similar ridge in it?

The part explaining the "tendon depressor" was interesting and worth the article. What a strange design element.
    Agreed. It is true that pressure so applied will influence the thumb and index finger to lock down together. I only know this because it’s a point of concern when I’m teaching music. This is the first time I can remember that particular anatomical quirk being applied to firearm design. Very interesting.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    That's a good article. It actually explains the gun's genesis in Russia and how the design was first produced by Arsenal in Italy (Strike 1), then RUAG (Archon). Apparently, Arsenal is still making the original Strike 1 variant; they're still available for sale, imported by American Precision Firearms.

When Archon production shifts to the US, I'm guessing it will actually be manufactured by PTR? I don't think RUAG has any US manufacturing facilities. It'll be interesting to see what happens to quality/reliability... aside from a batch of weak striker springs very early in production, the RUAG Archons have a pretty good track record for reliability.

In any case...

As the article says, I don't really notice the tendon thingy. Seems like a gimmick, to me. So does the grip-mapping texture. But this gun doesn't need gimmicks to shoot well. The Speedlock system and the unique adaptations to lower the bore axis are what make it feel special, in my opinion. And... the trigger is excellent.

I wish it came with a manual safety. So, it probably won't be carry gun for me. Plus... it's pretty big. But it's an amazing gun to shoot--especially for less than $800. I'm happy I grabbed mine.

The relationship between Arsenal, RUAG and Archon is murky. At least to me.

Salient was involved early on and I think the Type B was pretty much built on their feedback. If I'm not mistaken the Archon USA name/importer/distributor was actually owned by or otherwise a part of Salient.

It further seems murky to me that we have essentially a full-size and compact version of the same gun but neither is made by the same factory. And then neither is imported by the same company. Is there some kind of Italian export restriction that forbids guns of a certain size or barrel length from being exported?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Salient was involved early on and I think the Type B was pretty much built on their feedback. If I'm not mistaken the Archon USA name/importer/distributor was actually owned by or otherwise a part of Salient.
    Yeah, I think you're exactly right. I remember when the original batch of Strike-1s evaporated, the US manifestation of what became Archon was called "PMG"--it was kind of a joint venture between Salient and Arsenal. There's actually a PF thread on it:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ER-PMG-STRYK-B

At that point, the pistol was called the "Stryk-B." Basically a Salient-ized Strike-1 (though there were actual Strike-1s that Salient modded-up to be all dark and tactical, before the whole PMG/Archon thing... was a thing).

I'm not exactly sure what happened after that point, but I think there was some kinda lawsuit and PMG was renamed Archon. Not sure when they contracted with RUAG. Maybe that was the plan all along? Or maybe that was after the PMG/Archon shift? But the gun we got was essentially what Salient designed as the Stryk-B.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 03-24-2024 at 03:12 PM.

Interesting indeed, but as one who has arthritis right in that area, it looks like something that could easily turn painful.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    That’s a damn good deal. I paid $700 for mine, used. Honestly… probably should have just sprung for a new one, at that price. Nevertheless, I’m very happy with mine. I think you’ll love how it shoots.
    My pistol arrived today, and I was able to get away at lunch to pick it up. My impressions after just handling it and some dry fire are very positive. It sit really low in my hand, and indexes similarly to my Glocks. Since ~80% of my shooting is through Glocks, the similarity is a good thing. I don't notice the strut thing under the beavertail at the top of the back strap. For now I'll view it as a gimmick, but maybe my opinion will change after I shoot it. Sights seem very good to me. The trigger breaks at about 4lb 4oz when I put the gauge at the very distal tip of the trigger. The trigger feels somewhat like an APX but with more creep and not as clean a break. I'd say that the trigger is generally on par with Glock, but maybe not quite as a good Gen5 pistol.

My big complaint is the location of the mag release. When I grip the pistol, the end of my right middle finger rest half on the mag release. I'd like to see the release moved up a little bit or just switch to a paddle mag release like HK. Having said that, I can't make the mag release release the mag with my middle finger. when I have a firing grip on the gun. I've also pressed hard against that finger with my support hand to try and drop the mag with no luck. I think the risk of accidently releasing the mag while shooting is pretty close to zero.

I hope to get away from work in time to shoot it on Thursday, but work is going to be crazy busy this week. I'll report more once I have some rounds through the gun.

User Tag List