Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Archon Type-B: First Fifty

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    With 9BPLE or a similar NATO type load. The gun is European after all and should be able to take the hotter ammo. JHP to test its ability to feed defensive ammo.....

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    The newest Winchester M1152 115gr for the MHS program is basically a FMJ 9BPLE (or even a bit hotter); 115gr @ 1300fps+. Pressure of 39,700psi per Winchester.

I suspect thats about the hottest factory load out there short of the 127gr +p+

What about the strut-like thing in the grip tang? Doesn't that irritate the web of your hand? Or do you somehow not notice it?

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    The newest Winchester M1152 115gr for the MHS program is basically a FMJ 9BPLE (or even a bit hotter); 115gr @ 1300fps+. Pressure of 39,700psi per Winchester.
    More velocity info for M1152 and also 9BPLE.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    What about the strut-like thing in the grip tang? Doesn't that irritate the web of your hand? Or do you somehow not notice it?
    I've wondered about this as well. I wrote it off to the camera but i can't, for the life of me, imagine it is not noticeable and discomforting.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    I don't notice it much.

If I'm gripping the gun really hard for a long period of time during dry fire practice or whatever... I start to feel it a little. But I can't say I noticed it while shooting. My hand seems to index against the underside of the beavertail/tang more than it does in the cleft where that thing resides; so the main pressure point is really above my hand vs. against that thing.

All that said...

I do kinda think it's a pointless feature.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Site Supporter

I came across this in my YouTube feed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZyDdSxw7qg

Apparently, Nicola Bandini, one of the originators of the Strike/Archon design, struck out on his own and developed yet another evolution of the action and the pistol. This one works pretty much the same way... except the part that locks the barrel actually rotates instead of dropping. Interesting.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Yeah, man. We need to get together and shoot again. You're of course welcome to run some rounds through it!
    Agreed, it's been a while.

Site Supporter

Put ~70 more rounds through it...

Damn. Impressed. This thing can shoot.

Name:  275AF92E-7FA2-4935-94BB-42522A9903CA.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  34.7 KB

The sandpaper tape really made a difference in terms of feel and control. At 10 yards, it's kind of a bullseye machine. And while I'm not much of a speed shooter, double taps are so fun with this thing; it definitely lives up to its reputation for shooting flat. If ever get back into USPSA, I might be takin' this bad boy. I experienced zero discomfort while shooting and, again, the little "strut thingy" under the grip tang was completely transparent.

I really like the trigger. It's not the lightest. It's not without a little creep. But it's predictable, plus the break feels uniquely crisp and precise. Instead of using a dingus, the entire trigger shoe pivots down before it engages the trigger bar. Once you feel the pivot, you can kinda ease into the break.

I'm not crazy about the sights. They're actually i-dot night sights--not the fiber optic setup you usually see on these guns. But the dot isn't particularly bright or easy to see. I know these guns can take Glock sights. I might look into some other options.

Finally, I had zero reliability issues--I've shot mainly 124gr PMC FMJ through it. The gun was dirty when I bought it and I haven't cleaned it yet. Though I did add some lube prior to range trips.

Cool gun. I'm diggin' it.

Site Supporter
    I want to be a good PF enabler, so I will point out that these pistols are down to about $750 on Gunbroker now. This pistol is very close to the top of my "to buy" list now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I want to be a good PF enabler, so I will point out that these pistols are down to about $750 on Gunbroker now. This pistol is very close to the top of my "to buy" list now.
    And now this pistol has been removed from my to buy list because I just ordered one. KYGunCo has them for about $750 (free shipping), which is cheaper than I could have gotten it on Gunbroker. I will report back on my impressions.

User Tag List