Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Archon Type-B: First Fifty

Site Supporter

Archon Type-B: First Fifty

I haven’t seen much about this gun on PF, so I figured I’d share my initial impressions—which, in a nutshell, are…

It’s neat. It works. It’s accurate. And after 50 rounds… I like it.

Name:  IMG_3679.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  48.8 KBName:  IMG_3680.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  52.7 KB

But, more specifically…

This gun exists (along with its cousin, the Arsenal Strike 1) because of its unique breech-lock mechanism—the AF Speedlock system. It’s also sometimes called the Bergman System. Long story short, the barrel retracts under recoil, but doesn’t tilt. A separate part locks the barrel and slide together; this gets cammed down under recoil, until it clears some locking lugs in the slide. This unlocks the system and allows the slide to fully cycle.

Name:  IMG_3685.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  57.9 KBName:  IMG_3687.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  47.3 KB

In a sense, it achieves the same thing as a Walther/Beretta falling block, but via different mechanics. Also… it uses a 3-spring telescoping recoil assembly. Which is pretty freakin’ cool.

If I had to describe the shooting characteristics in one word, I’d say it’s “direct.”

The bore axis is low and the ergos feel very “intimate.” The trigger reach is short and the trigger breaks with a crisp, understated snap… after a touch of squish. I’d say the recoil impulse falls somewhere between a Beretta 92 and Walther PPK—it has some of that plush, buoyant feel you get with a 92, but it’s a bit more jolty and percussive. It’s not abrasive or unpleasant, like a straight blowback… but it does have some visceral punch. I liked it—it makes the recoil feel somewhat communicative. But I can’t say it’s necessarily a soft shooter.

And, not surprisingly, it shoots really flat. That’s kind of it’s selling point. And it’s true… but I think the feel—in terms of its direct, visceral shooting dynamics—is what intrigues me the most about it. But it is fun to tear through rounds super quickly.

Name:  IMG_3682.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  56.2 KB

Moreover, the build quality feels fantastic. The thing is heavy. It feels more like a metal gun than a polymer gun. And that makes sense, because there’s an all-metal internal frame inside its outer polymer shell. The slide is big, heavy and fat. All this equates to very solid, planted feel while shooting.

I found it to be very accurate—some nice cloverleafed patterns at 10 yards. Though, initially, I was shooting high. I had a hard time seeing the front fiber optic sight. But once I made a conscious effort bury the front post lower in the rear aperture, it started hitting right on.

The “grip mapping” texture is… livable. It’s aggressive. You feel it after a few mags. But it’s not awful and it does improve traction; though probably not as much as Talon grips. Which will also probably feel better.

I probably won’t carry it. Yet. The trigger is SAOy and of course there’s no safety. Though I’ll say it does seem to have a bit more takeup and “weighty squish” than, say, a PPQ trigger.

So, if you like, fast, flat shooting guns and you want something that gives you a visceral, direct shooting sensation—like a car with taught, sporty suspension… you might dig this thing.

Interestingly, this gun was made in 2017—back when the first batch of these things came into the country. In 2023, there was another batch imported and they’re available new, right now. Initially, some of the early guns had light primer strike issues, but I haven’t heard of any issues beyond that—which stands in contrast to the Archon’s cousin, the Strike 1. I often hear the Strike 1s are hit or miss, in terms of reliability.

I put up a YouTube short on it, too: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/oIpNmGmTCGg
    Last edited by MattyD380; 02-23-2024 at 11:47 PM.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

PTR is supposed to be transitioning to US production after this initial batch (or batches) is sold. Hopefully US production will mean the gun will finally catch on. No. It isn't a Glock killer but not everything has to be. This is a neat gun in its own right and can stand on its own merits.

I like the bird logo. It pays homage to the gun's lineage and its original name.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    PTR is supposed to be transitioning to US production after this initial batch (or batches) is sold. Hopefully US production will mean the gun will finally catch on. No. It isn't a Glock killer but not everything has to be. This is a neat gun in its own right and can stand on its own merits.

I like the bird logo. It pays homage to the gun's lineage and its original name.
    Yeah, I had heard that was plan, too. Though I think they will be made in the Czech Republic for a while, until US production gets up and running. Agree--it's a very worthwhile gun and a cool design. Looking forward to shooting it more.

I also like the branding and the overall "aesthetic equity." Gives me some Romulan Tal Shiar vibes, with a touch of Sith Empire.

Name:  IMG_3689.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  30.0 KB

Site Supporter
    That's really nifty. If you're up for allowing others to send some factory ammo through it, I'd love the opportunity.

Site Supporter
    I am formally requesting that the pistol be put through the 2K round challenge. I've been super curious about this pistol since the first variant was announced, so I greatly appreciate anything else you have to add as you put more rounds through it. Thanks for starting this thread.

I am interested in trying the new one with the modular grip. Seems like a neat pistol. I've got a few in the queue before it will get any extra cash thrown it's way though but maybe one day.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I am formally requesting that the pistol be put through the 2K round challenge.
    With 9BPLE or a similar NATO type load. The gun is European after all and should be able to take the hotter ammo. JHP to test its ability to feed defensive ammo.....

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    That's really nifty. If you're up for allowing others to send some factory ammo through it, I'd love the opportunity.
    Yeah, man. We need to get together and shoot again. You're of course welcome to run some rounds through it!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I am formally requesting that the pistol be put through the 2K round challenge. I've been super curious about this pistol since the first variant was announced, so I greatly appreciate anything else you have to add as you put more rounds through it. Thanks for starting this thread.
    Hmm. Interesting. I had never actually considered doing a 2000 round challenge. Obviously expensive and seems hard on the gun. And I guess I never personally saw value in what I saw as putting "unreasonable" demands on a machine--but I suppose that's the whole point.

No promises. But... I'll definitely update as I go through rounds. And I'll probably end up doing a writeup/YouTube review on it at some point.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 02-28-2024 at 01:59 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    I am interested in trying the new one with the modular grip. Seems like a neat pistol. I've got a few in the queue before it will get any extra cash thrown it's way though but maybe one day.
    Yeah, the new grip design on the Gen 2 makes more sense, I think. The more I mess with the gun, the more I dislike the OG "grip-mapping" texture. It kinda keeps me from squeezing as hard as I want to. I put sandpaper grip tape on it tonight. Feels waaay better. But... other than the unappealing "native" grip texture, it's a naturally good-feeling pistol in the hand.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 02-28-2024 at 02:05 AM.

User Tag List