Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best holster for coat pocket carry J frame............

Best holster for coat pocket carry J frame............

Lookin' for some help here for carryin' a S&W J frame in a coat side pocket....which holster would you recommend.....thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Face Gremlin View Post
    Lookin' for some help here for carryin' a S&W J frame in a coat side pocket....which holster would you recommend.....thanks.
    I’m partial to Mika for most “pocket” things but, if the coat pocket is large enough then the Force Option pocket holster from Wilderness seems solids. And designed by a great guy.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Robert Mika

I am a big fan of Robert Mika's custom made holsters. Been using them with my J-frame for over a decade. I say them (plural) because I have a round cut and a square cut, using the one that best fits the pocket I will have it in.

Robert is a retired cop who first made them for himself, then making them for others on the force when they saw how well his personal one worked. Big plusses: grippy surface on outside so it stays in the pocket when you draw; formed to stay open when empty so you can re-holster with one hand, placing the J-frame back into your pocket. No more stripping the holster from the gun when it comes out of the pocket, or having to slide the holster back onto the gun before returning them to your pocket together.
    Last edited by Craig_AR; 02-23-2024 at 12:22 PM. Reason: fix typo
    Craig
    VCDL, ACLDN, SAF (Life), GOA, NRA (Benefactor Life), USAF Retired
    https://tinyurl.com/craig-trains

Robert makes each one custom for the order, so there may be a delay until he gets to yours. He is a great gentleman, offering personal service. Also, he marks the inside of the product specifically for you.
    Last edited by Craig_AR; 02-23-2024 at 12:19 PM. Reason: dd info
    Craig
    VCDL, ACLDN, SAF (Life), GOA, NRA (Benefactor Life), USAF Retired
    https://tinyurl.com/craig-trains

I had JEA Custom do a cargo pocket holster for my J-frame with LaserMax weapon light. Keeps the gun positioned at 90° in the pocket. Would be good for a coat pocket, judging it is wide enough.

Also did an ankle holster with Galco base for the gun and light. Awesome work!

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_AR View Post
    I am a big fan of Robert Mika's custom made holsters. Been using them with my J-frame for over a decade. I say them (plural) because I have a round cut and a square cut, using the one that best fits the pocket I will have it in.

Robert is a retired cop who first made them for himself, then making them for others on the force when they saw how well his personal one worked. Big plusses: grippy surface on outside so it stays in the pocket when you draw; formed to stay open when empty so you can re-holster with one hand, placing the J-frame back into your pocket. No more stripping the holster from the gun when it comes out of the pocket, or having to slide the holster back onto the gun before returning them to your pocket together.
    IYO......round or square for coat pocket..

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Face Gremlin View Post
    IYO......round or square for coat pocket..
    Not Craig_AR but really it depends on the shape, size, and geometry of the coat pocket.

Name:  Mika Round and Square.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  105.1 KB
    Last edited by Half Moon; 02-24-2024 at 10:22 AM.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

I prefer the Mika for a coat pocket...but an Aholster for a pants pocket.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Personally I have always had good results with a DeSantis Nemesis. I use it with top coats when in a suit, all the way to one of the rear pockets on a cycling jersey on rides through sketchy parts of town to get to the country.

I have always wanted to try a Mika, but never really had the need to replace the Nemesis.
    Polite Professional

The Nemesis is very good for a square bottom pocket. I have several. I had also been looking at ones like this w/ the mag pouch.
    https://www.amazon.com/Active-Pro-Ge...817965&sr=8-56
    Thinking use it w/o the mag just for the extra width to keep the gun vertical. I have not tried it though since I do so little pocket carry any more.

User Tag List