Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Information For 1911 Newbies

Site Supporter

Information For 1911 Newbies

Greetings, for those of you who are just getting started in the world of the 1911 .45, or pondering doing so, I have some good, solid information to impart to you. I intend to purchase my first 1911 .45 in April. After viewing many YouTube videos of various makes and asking members on this site for their input on a quality low end model, I decided I'm going to purchase the Springfield Armory 1911 .45 Mil Spec model. I have no experience with any brand 1911 and very little knowledge of them. I just finished reading my first book on the 1911, and my second book arrived today. Okay, here's the fun and interesting part, I came across a Vietnam vet, former cop, former armorer and former cop pistol trainer on YouTube with many gun videos of all sorts and six great videos on the 1911.45. I bookmarked all six, but rather than post the links here, I'll simply tell you the name of the guy's channel. It's GunBlue. His 1911 videos are very thorough and detailed. It's very instructive to see someone handle the gun and it's parts while discussing their functions. I think any 1911 newbie will be happy to view the videos as am I!

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    Greetings, for those of you who are just getting started in the world of the 1911 .45, or pondering doing so, I have some good, solid information to impart to you. I intend to purchase my first 1911 .45 in April. After viewing many YouTube videos of various makes and asking members on this site for their input on a quality low end model, I decided I'm going to purchase the Springfield Armory 1911 .45 Mil Spec model. I have no experience with any brand 1911 and very little knowledge of them. I just finished reading my first book on the 1911, and my second book arrived today. Okay, here's the fun and interesting part, I came across a Vietnam vet, former cop, former armorer and former cop pistol trainer on YouTube with many gun videos of all sorts and six great videos on the 1911.45. I bookmarked all six, but rather than post the links here, I'll simply tell you the name of the guy's channel. It's GunBlue. His 1911 videos are very thorough and detailed. It's very instructive to see someone handle the gun and it's parts while discussing their functions. I think any 1911 newbie will be happy to view the videos as am I!
    for those of you who are just getting started in the world of the 1911 .45, or pondering doing so, I have some good, solid information to impart to you.

That probably won't be very many people on this forum but we all started somewhere. In your enthusiasm remember it's a horse pistol designed for the military when cavalry was still a large part of the US military. It's a relic of days gone by. I had my fling with them and still own a few. I have more fun with those than any 45 ACP pistol/revolver I own. There's some magic there that can't be duplicated.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Danko View Post
    I intend to purchase my first 1911 .45 in April.

I'll simply tell you the name of the guy's channel. It's GunBlue. His 1911 videos are very thorough and detailed.
    I bought my first 1911 in 1990. I joined my first 1911 forum in 2007.

Gun Blue is "off the reservation" on most of his 1911 recommendations. I've watched a few of his videos in the past, but now make an effort to avoid his videos. I will usually only watch them when somebody will eventually post a "hey, I just found this video about XXX with the 1911, by this guy Gun Blue, what do you think?" I try to find half a dozen other 1911 video's by known professional 1911 builders/trainers/shooters that disagree with his video. That way the original poster can learn that perhaps Gun Blue's way isn't the only way.

If one is new to the 1911 then throwing a small monthly fee to the 10-8 Patreon page is probably the very best way to learn.

Bypass all the self-titled experts and shills.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

delete
    Last edited by JTQ; 02-23-2024 at 11:04 AM.

Hilton Yam and 10-8 performance if you want professional insight into the 1911.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    it's a horse pistol designed for the military when cavalry was still a large part of the US military.
    I heard those exact words come out of Ken Hackathorn's mouth. However he also states the 1911 is the world's finest Close Quarters Battle weapon as well as king of the feedway stoppage!

Site Supporter

Post has been removed

Post has been removed!

Site Supporter

Removed

Removed

User Tag List